Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds BA Top 30 Prospects, Org Depth Chart & Scouting Reports

Re: Reds BA Top 30 Prospects, Org Depth Chart & Scouting Reports

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Here is a question....if the Reds promote Bailey to Chattanooga and he hurts his arm, wouldnt he in all likelihood have hurt his arm pitching in Sarasota?
    Does he have to reach back to put extra on his pitches in order to keep from getting clobbered at Sarasota? If you ask a kid to do too much, he probably will.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

This shows how the organization has a flawed value system:

---
    C
    Miguel Perez
    Dane Sardinha
    Craig Tatum
    Justin Tordi
    John Purdom
    Javier Rumbos
    ---

Four Banjo Bats ahead of Purdom, the college FA who hit .277/.366/.355 at Dayton last year. That line is no great shakes, but it's better than what any of those other four did at their respective levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    That's like taking a shotgun to your forehead to prove your parents were idiots to have children.
    Well I still don't understand why you think that promoting Bailey is a good idea, I would want to keep making the old regime look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Well I still don't understand why you think that promoting Bailey is a good idea, I would want to keep making the old regime looking bad.
    So, you're going to use the one, if not the only, useful player in the Reds minor league system to prove a point?

Brilliant!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    So, you're going to use the one, if not the only, useful player in the Reds minor league system to prove a point?

Brilliant!
    Well if you by only pure statistics to evaluate a player, which many people do around here, he isn't that good anyway. I think he has more potential than his numbers show but things can happen. If I was Castellini I would stay far away from making O'Brien look even half way intelligent.

Who cares what the old regime did any more? It's irrelevant, it's time to look ahead. I don't care if Bailey makes O'Brien look like a genius, and I doubt the current front office does either.

Well if you by only pure statistics to evaluate a player, which many people do around here, he isn't that good anyway. I think he has more potential than his numbers show but things can happen. If I was Castellini I would stay far away from making O'Brien look even half way intelligent.
    The Reds could make Bailey the Opening Day starter and he could throw a no-hitter and O'Brien still wouldn't look half way intelligent.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Castellini gave O'Brien the ultimate "You're a blathering idiot" award by firing him less than a week into his tenure as owner.There's no need to "prove a point" about O'Brien -- he did that himself with names like Milton, Ortiz, Aurillia, Williams, Womack, Ramirez, Hancock and Machado.

Castellini's #1 priority with owning the Reds is to field a competitive ballclub and make money. Settling vendettas or making individual people look bad in the process is probably #235,343 on the list, falling slightly ahead of "investigating cost savings involved in switching from 2 ply to 1 ply in visitors clubhouse" and "wondering if he left the iron plugged in." It would be phenomenolly stupid not to use every asset in his possession, especially considering the overall lack of assets in the farm system and beyond for this fanchise. Castellini wouldn't be able to manage a produce stand in Finley Market, much less a successful produce corporation and major league baseball stadium, if he let such pettineess get in the way of success.

Besides, Homer Bailey succeeding would validate Castellini and Krivsky's player development strategy just as much as it would Dan O'Brien's drafting.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

never mind, this was addressed already in the thread
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Interesting that Medlock's down at #28. A good run in AA and BA's got some 'splainin' to do.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Does he have to reach back to put extra on his pitches in order to keep from getting clobbered at Sarasota? If you ask a kid to do too much, he probably will.
    Good answer, it was what I was looking for. I just was seeing what others were thinking... I still think it doesnt make much sense to send him to Chattanooga to start the season. Put the kid in Sarasota. If he pitches well, promote him after May if you are wanting to move him up. Then see how he does, but why rush him and skip a level when he showed in Dayton that he does need work with pitches and command?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Interesting that Medlock's down at #28. A good run in AA and BA's got some 'splainin' to do.
    What do you think are the chances?

Doc, I think Medlock should be higher than 28, thats for sure. I think he will have some success at Chattanooga this season. Only time will tell, but I expect a sub 4.00 ERA out of him this season.

It's interesting that Mike Burns one of our waiver claims is listed as our 27th best prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    What do you think are the chances?
    He's been able to make guys miss so far and the Southern League is pitcher friendly. IMO his chances are pretty good.

Medlock's a better prospect than Steve Kelly and Kelly did awfully well in Chattanooga.

Turn Off Ads?