Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any pressure in 2006?

Any pressure in 2006?

Remember when DanO was trying to get Milton to sign with the Reds and Graves and Casey called him and said, "Come on, there's no pressure here." (or words to that effect) I'm thinking it'll be a whole different mind set in Spring Training this year. Lots of excitement and yea a little pressure too. The attitude of this team is in for a major shake up and it's about time.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any pressure in 2006?

I think Reds fans have plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future of the organization, but the guys on the field bear a striking resemblance to the ones that lost 89 games last year.

So, no, outside of Narron and the coaches, there's not much pressure to win, because there's no reasonable expectation that they will.

Next year, OTOH...
    Makes all the routine posts.

got alil captain in u?

it is somtimes better to have nobody respect you beacuse when you start to suprise ppl they will respect you also

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Respect is earned.

Just go play, guys....have fun.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I think Reds fans have plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the future of the organization, but the guys on the field bear a striking resemblance to the ones that lost 89 games last year.

So, no, outside of Narron and the coaches, there's not much pressure to win, because there's no reasonable expectation that they will.

Next year, OTOH...
    This, IMO, is an abdication. I want a FO that expects to contend in "starting over" years, "rebuilding years," and "full throttle" years. If this team isn't light years better by July 31st--and when I say light years, I don't mean maybe possibly in five years they'll be better, I mean ON July 31--then they are failing as a front office. Period. End of discussion. Two-year plans are for *-holes.

I want better, and I want it now. And, no, that's not at all asking too much. As I said, if I hear Krivsky use the word "patience" in regard to the fan base and turning the team around, the man's dead to me. The only context I want Krivsky to use the word "patience" in, is when he says, "The Astros will probably want to exercise patience with Pettitte after that drubbing he received from the Reds the other night."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Lots of excitement and yea a little pressure too. The attitude of this team is in for a major shake up and it's about time.
    Part of the problem with the term "pressure" is that it can become meaningless in the wrong hands (cf. the massage chair "strong-arming" or the removal of final year deadweight--Graves).

Pressure means, to me, calculable risk is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Respect is earned.

Just go play, guys....have fun.

I hope the pressure is good pressure and not insane pressure that might result in playing vets over younger players
    Go Gators!

Actually it was Danny Graves who said that... not Sean Casey.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I want better, and I want it now. And, no, that's not at all asking too much. As I said, if I hear Krivsky use the word "patience" in regard to the fan base and turning the team around, the man's dead to me. The only context I want Krivsky to use the word "patience" in, is when he says, "The Astros will probably want to exercise patience with Pettitte after that drubbing he received from the Reds the other night."
    Castellini said he's not a patient man; therefore, if Krivsky is patient, he may get his mind changed.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Castellini said he's not a patient man; therefore, if Krivsky is patient, he may get his mind changed.

The problem with that quote from Castellini is that Castellini is the only person in the chain of command in the Reds FO who can say "I'm not a patient man" with impunity. In the end, he's not held accountable to those words in the way every other person in the chain of command is. So action alone will serve for this fan.

If Castellini says he is not a patient man, then as OWNER he is in the driver's seat to see that it gets done in accordance to the timetable he sets.

He already had a guy (Beattie) come in and evaluate the pitching (that took about 5 minutes - "It SUCKS Bob!"), so what else does he need to know? Last year our offense was one of the tops in the majors (#2 in the NL). Unfortunately, our pitching was #2 (and I don't mean that in the numerical sense ).

So he has to vastly improve the pitching. Which route is he gonna take? Spend the money for an immediate fix... or develop it (with the right people in that FO), which does take patience.

If Castellini's lack of patience means with this current roster (pitching lineup), as if he thinks it can step up and perform at a higher level, then he had better by stock in Tums.

The "clock" is ticking with these younger guys like Dunn, Kearns, Lopez, and others. Some are starting to enter their prime. it will be a huge waste if they don't compliment that with the pitching - not the likes of a Wilson, Milton, etc., to get them over the hump.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-16-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?