Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckley added to scouts; Reiner leaves

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Buckley added to scouts; Reiner leaves

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-shuffling.asp

---
    SARASOTA -- The Reds have a new senior director of scouting, former Blue Jays exec Chris Buckley. In addition to the resume listed on BA, he spent 1989-95 as an area scout and 1996-2000 as a national cross-checker for the Jays. He had been with the Cubs since Jan. 1 this year as a special assistant to the GM. Buckley will oversee all of the Reds' scouting operations, which were essentially split into three units during Dan O'Brien's tenure.

In addition, you may remember a brief item back in December about scouting veteran Andres Reiner joining the Reds' front office as a special assistant to the GM. He and O'Brien were very tight, and obviously he went out the door with Dan -- though I certainly didn't pick up on that before today. I say that because today the Devil Rays hired him as a special assistant.
    ---

Another Friend of O'Brien departs the organization...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Buckley added to scouts; Reiner leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-shuffling.asp

---
    SARASOTA -- The Reds have a new senior director of scouting, former Blue Jays exec Chris Buckley. In addition to the resume listed on BA, he spent 1989-95 as an area scout and 1996-2000 as a national cross-checker for the Jays. He had been with the Cubs since Jan. 1 this year as a special assistant to the GM. Buckley will oversee all of the Reds' scouting operations, which were essentially split into three units during Dan O'Brien's tenure.

In addition, you may remember a brief item back in December about scouting veteran Andres Reiner joining the Reds' front office as a special assistant to the GM. He and O'Brien were very tight, and obviously he went out the door with Dan -- though I certainly didn't pick up on that before today. I say that because today the Devil Rays hired him as a special assistant.
    ---

Another Friend of O'Brien departs the organization...
    I guess he and TC will cross paths
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Yep. Glad to have him aboard
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    TC, we want Gaitwright. What's it gonna take?

And is TB gonna drop young and upton in the lineup and let them play 160 games without distractions this year, no matter how bad they are? Those guys are both ready for ML but are going to need some development at ML level and some patience to be all they can be.

TC, what can you tell us about Buckley? What's his reputation around baseball?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Sounds like this guy is going to be making the draft picks. Krivsky didn't do that with the Twins, I figure he has full delegatory power.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I actually think Terry Reynolds will still be doing the drafting - although perhaps this new hire Buckley will have a larger say in the draft.

I noticed Reynolds' title says Director of Amateur Scouting now, where I thought before he was just the Director of Scouting(I could be wrong there).

And that the Reds now have an Asst Director of Professional Scouting.

Looks to me like Krivsky will have Buckley beneath him with Reynolds and Arnold both reporting to Buckley? Although I don't have any faith in my correct reconstruction of the new Reds FO Org chart.

Buckley was the Scouting Director from 2001-2003 for the Jays
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...&lname=Buckley

If Buckley is the draft guru for the Reds, if anyone is looking for some forshadowing of the 2006 draft, the 01-03 drafts for the Blue Jays were particularly heavy in college players.

2001 Toronto Draft
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...luejays01.html
    2002 Toronto Draft
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...luejays02.html
    2003 Toronto Draft
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-b...m.cgi?team=TOR

If Buckley is the draft guru for the Reds, if anyone is looking for some forshadowing of the 2006 draft, the 01-03 drafts for the Blue Jays were particularly heavy in college players.
    He did reasonably well in rounds 1-2 (Adams, Bush, McGowan....) but came up empty after that in all three drafts.

Looks to me like he's administrator, overseeing all scouting functions. Reynolds will still manage the draft.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

for years, Jays had a tremendous scouting operation under Tim Wilkens, who then became VP in 2001. My guess is that Buckley was Wilkens' direct choice as successor, although Wilkens remained very involved. Buckley's background sounds very hands-on

Ricciardi is supposedly very heavy-handed in the draft, particularly in the early rounds. Ricciardi therefore was highly influential in the 2002-3 drafts. Wilkens eventually got ticked and left in mid-2003, as did a lot of scouts.

Anything that demotes Terry Reynolds is solid, and this sounds even better than that.

BTW, Wilkens is in the DRays front office, but has been recently linked with the Orioles

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    for years, Jays had a tremendous scouting operation under Tim Wilkens, who then became VP in 2001. My guess is that Buckley was Wilkens' direct choice as successor, although Wilkens remained very involved. Buckley's background sounds very hands-on

Ricciardi is supposedly very heavy-handed in the draft, particularly in the early rounds. Ricciardi therefore was highly influential in the 2002-3 drafts. Wilkens eventually got ticked and left in mid-2003, as did a lot of scouts.

Anything that demotes Terry Reynolds is solid, and this sounds even better than that.

BTW, Wilkens is in the DRays front office, but has been recently linked with the Orioles
    Tim Wilkens is now with the Cubs.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    TC, what can you tell us about Buckley? What's his reputation around baseball?
    I know very little about Buckley.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    TC, we want Gaitwright. What's it gonna take?

And is TB gonna drop young and upton in the lineup and let them play 160 games without distractions this year, no matter how bad they are? Those guys are both ready for ML but are going to need some development at ML level and some patience to be all they can be.
    Joey is going to stay put for now. We need to see how Rocco performs after coming off Major surgery.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Tim Wilkens is now with the Cubs.
    Figures, they like to surround themselves with big name scouts-- including Buckley.

In spite of severe financial constraints, Wilkens once nabbbed Roy Halladay, Bill Koch, Vernon Wells, and Felipe Lopez during a four year run of first rounders.
    Last edited by princeton; 02-17-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Wilkens once nabbbed Roy Halladay, Bill Koch, Vernon Wells, and Felipe Lopez during a four year run of first rounders.
    the 3 high schoolers turned out great (they lost patience with Felipe) -- the college arm (one which came without a ligament, literally) sputtered

just sayin'
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    the 3 high schoolers turned out great (they lost patience with Felipe) -- the college arm (one which came without a ligament, literally) sputtered

just sayin'
    for a modern scout, great is what a player does when he's cheap-- the first 3-4 major league years.

After that, performance is completely to the credit or fault of the the GM, as he's got to decide whether to pay or to deal

Turn Off Ads?