Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Figure Skating Announcers....

Re: Figure Skating Announcers....

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    No, it's Sandra Bezic, though I've never heard of her.
    She was a Canadian pairs skater in the 70s and has been a top-level choreographer for a long time now. I don't like her that much either, until she gets nasty, then I find her hilarious (this is probably where we disagree -- I love it when commentators get snarky).

As for why they show the early skaters -- so they can be on TV, maybe? Or maybe as a basis for comparison of how the later skaters are better. Or for freaks like me who like to watch them. I also think they may be making a point about the new system: look, some of the results are already decided, so look at how pointless the competition is (but I'm pretty biased against this judging system in case that isn't clear.)

I have to say I have discussed figure skating many places in my life, but never before on a baseball message board.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't question that there are many technical aspects to grading a figure skating performance, but there is still a significant "artistic element" which is included in the points distributed, and these cannot be so easily quantified. Aspects of the skater's performance, ranging from how well he/she interpreted the music, to how well the performance "flows" merit consideration in the skater's score. Perhaps the judges are simply more well-versed in what qualities meet those requirements--they have certainly watched more hours of skating than have I. But, there is really no comparison between skating and football or baseball, in terms of the "human element" involved in the scoring system.

I cringe when I hear Dick Button whine about the "flow" of a performance, or the artistry (or lack thereof) of a skater's routine--as if his interpretation is the authority on the matter.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    The negatitivity kinda goes with the sport, don't you think? I mean, these people are all trying to do nearly impossible things and anything less than perfection causes their score to suffer. If Button is negative, I maintain he is only pointing out the things that the judges are using to differentiate the performances. The pithy comments, I find to be a nice departure because I have no idea what the heck they're talking about unless someone just flat out falls on their backside.
    I don't think it has to go with the sport--or, if it does, the positivity should as well. I wouldn't have nearly a big a problem with Button as I do if he was even-handed in the dispensing of his criticisms and his praise. He's like the tough, overbearing father who expects perfection from his children--says nothing when they achieve it, and goes off the rails when they don't. only with a much more annoying voice.

I honestly can't stand to listen to him.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I don't question that there are many technical aspects to grading a figure skating performance, but there is still a significant "artistic element" which is included in the points distributed, and these cannot be so easily quantified. Aspects of the skater's performance, ranging from how well he/she interpreted the music, to how well the performance "flows" merit consideration in the skater's score.
    But that's exactly my point -- how a performance "flows" sounds like a subjective opinion thing, but it's actually a very specific technical thing related to how deep the edges of the skate blade are. Dick Button has this rooted so deeply in his brain that he forgets that he needs to explain this to people who don't know, as the word "flowy" does not sound technical at all. The entire point in skating is to get as far to the edge of your blade as you can and not fall down. I've coached kids, and this is the very first thing you're supposed to teach them; it's a very specific, technical thing, it's very difficult, and when it's done well, a program looks "flowy".

I'm under no delusions that skating is way more subjective than any sport with teams and a score or sports run against a clock. But I think it's kind of wayward for people to claim that they can't stand to watch figure skating because it's subjective, while meanwhile they're riveted to things like this year's Superbowl and last year's World Series. As other people on this thread have mentioned, those kinds of sports are more subjective than people realize; my point is that skating is more objective than people realize. They're not quite equal, but they meet closer to the middle than you may think.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I participate in an equestrian sport called reining (coming to the summer Olympics in 2012 if things go right). It is a judged event much like figure skating. However, the scoring system is much easier to understand and define than skating.

First, everybody does the same pattern. There are 10 patterns in the rule book, with the pattern for each go-round pre determined. Everyone enters the ring with a score of 70 from each of the 5 judges. Each of the maneuvers in the pattern is a scored in degrees of plus, minus, or 0. The rulebook specifically defines the deductions for incorrectly performing a maneuver. A zero maneuver is performed correctly, but without additional degree of difficulty. Plusses are earned for added degree of difficulty (precision, speed). The highest and lowest scores are dropped with the middle three added together.

Perhapse this is the way that figure skating should go in the future. Eliminating differences in patterns and maneuvers would go a long way toward taking the subjectivity out of the sport.

BTW, reining also has a freestyle division in which the competitors perform their own patterns to music. It always draws a big crowd, but it has remained a fringe event to the less subjective classes.

Figure skating has gone down hill ever since they got rid of compulsory figures.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Elfie Schlagel is one of the Curling announcers. She is on CNBC when they show the mens's and Women's Curling matches.

I finally figured out who Dick Button reminds me of.

Phil Hartman as the Anal Retentive Chef.
    Last edited by RFS62; 02-24-2006 at 11:04 PM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

While I agree with most everything that has been posted thusfar, I quite enjoy the contributions of Tom Hammond during the figure skating. He's pretty smooth...dare I say, Billy Dee Williams smooth.

Amanda's been making me watch, but I gotta say, Dick Button has been AWESOME.

I think Dick and I watch for the same reason: Hot chicks, and watching stuck up hot chicks fall down.

Dick Button is my homey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Amanda's been making me watch, but I gotta say, Dick Button has been AWESOME.

I think Dick and I watch for the same reason: Hot chicks, and watching stuck up hot chicks fall down.

Dick Button is my homey.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I don't think it has to go with the sport--or, if it does, the positivity should as well. I wouldn't have nearly a big a problem with Button as I do if he was even-handed in the dispensing of his criticisms and his praise. He's like the tough, overbearing father who expects perfection from his children--says nothing when they achieve it, and goes off the rails when they don't. only with a much more annoying voice.

I honestly can't stand to listen to him.
    I like Dick, he's hilarious.
    Anyway, what I mean about the scoring is that each element starts from a possible point total and the judges score it as a fraction of that total. Say your double toe flip with the kung fu grip is a 10 point element, but you are short a little on the landing. The judges start from 10 and deduct the fraction they believe your poor landing was worth.
    Now, how does this make a difference for Dick? His job is to point out the things that will keep those elements from achieving their highest point totals. Is he too negative? I guess that depends on the viewer.

And I don't want any comments from you people about why I know so much about skating. I learned it all by watching that nice lady with the scoring explanations...about a hundred times.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?