Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Notes (Moses, KGSr, and more) 2/16

Reds Notes (Moses, KGSr, and more) 2/16

02/16/2006 5:24 PM ET
    Notes: Moses surprisingly calls it quits
    Griffey Sr. has expressed interest in replacing first base coach
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In a surprise on the first day of Spring Training, the Reds announced Thursday that first base coach John Moses has retired.
    Moses told the team he was tired of being away from his family most of the year.

"It caught me completely off guard," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "He's been in baseball a long time. He told me he was on his way to the airport and just had a change of heart with what he was doing. He felt like he had to do what's best for his family."

A search for Moses' replacement has begun, with the club assembling a list of candidates to interview. The plan is to look within first before taking a look outside the organization.

One of those candidates could be former Reds player and coach Ken Griffey Sr. Sources told MLB.com that Griffey Sr. has already expressed his interest in joining Narron's coaching staff.

Griffey Sr., the father of Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. and a team consultant for the Reds, was named first base coach for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic last month.

Moses was about to enter his second year in the Reds organization. He was hired in January 2005 to be the Minor League outfield/base running coordinator.

When Narron was promoted to interim manager last June, Moses was named bench coach. He was then shifted to first base coaching duties this winter when Bucky Dent was hired as the new bench coach.

Moses previously spent four seasons as the Mariners' first base coach.

Hudson stays: Designated for assignment and taken off the 40-man roster last week to make room for waiver claim Michael Gosling, pitcher Luke Hudson signed a one-year contract Thursday. It was considered a procedural move since Hudson was then sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. The right-hander is in camp as a non-roster player.

Hudson was 6-9 with a 6.38 ERA in 16 starts and three relief appearances last season. He missed much of the first half on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.

Krivsky plans: On the job for just over a week, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky stopped into the Reds clubhouse to introduce himself to several of the players in camp.

Krivsky was also scurrying to file paperwork with the U.S. government to get a passport expedited for travel to the Dominican Republic next week. He plans to visit and tour the organization's Latin American academy outside of Santo Domingo, along with new owner Bob Castellini and player development director Johnny Almaraz.

"We want to make sure they feel a part of this thing, which they are," Krivsky said. "We're looking forward to it."

Krivsky, Castellini and Almaraz are scheduled to leave Feb. 24. In the short time he's been acquainted with him, Narron had praise for the new GM.

"He's very knowledgeable and he's got a lot of energy," Narron said. "He's definitely going to try and make things happen."

Seen and heard: Catcher Javier Valentin was the only player not to arrive Thursday for the mandatory pitchers and catchers report date. Valentin was excused to be with his wife, who is expecting to deliver a baby any day, at their home in Manati, Puerto Rico.

Sarasota resident and ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale paid a visit to Reds camp Thursday. His daughter and two grandchildren accompanied him to the facility. Vitale has been a regular visitor over the years.

Coming up: There are no scheduled workouts for Friday as Reds pitchers and catchers are slated to undergo their physicals. Some players will likely be working out on their own.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes (Moses, KGSr, and more) 2/16

i for one would like seeing Senior come back to the ballclub.

I am also hoping that Senior can get the First base coaches job.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Me too. When I spoke with him yesterday he was traveling from Philadelphia to his home in Florida. Hopefully, next stop will be Sarasota.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'd love to see Sr in that position as well.

Another thing that struck me in the article, both Castellini and Krivsky are going to visit the baseball academy in the Dominican. I think that's great.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What really struck me is that Krisvsky doesn't have a valid US passport. Do the Twins not have a Latin American network? and if they do has Krivsky not visited it lately?

Go Sr for first base coach. Although wouldn't it take Junior back to little league with your dad there on 1B waving you through or urging you on.

I'm in favor of no former coaches at 1st..new blood.
    Go Gators!

What about talking to Larkin.

He might be interested in coming back, now that most of the ugly monster is gone!!!

Larkin is an interesting thought but I really see him working in the front office more than on the field.

I would love Sr. being more visable with the Reds again.

I'd really love to see Perez brought back..
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Larkin is an interesting thought but I really see him working in the front office more than on the field.
    I believe Barry stated in an interview a few months back that he sees himself more on the field than in the front office. I second the Larkin hiring if we could get permission to talk to him. Hmmmmm...... well maybe Sr. is not bad after all but what if we then deal Jr. sometime this season. Could get kinda tense if that were to happen!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't think Junior will go anywhere soon - his got 5/10 rights plus even though he wants to win the World Series I don't think he will sell his soul to do it. And as we have seen with the White Sox and Diamondbacks it doesn't take much (just good pitching) to take an also ran to WS Champs.

What would happen to Sr.'s status as a coach for the WBC thing if he were to become a coach with the Reds?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Senior, Perez, and Larkin are all worthy candidates IMO.

I can see Griffey Sr. or Tony Perez.

I doubt Larkin would even think about a 1b coaching job.

Barry has young children, He is pretty well set money wise. All of the time and travel away from home wouldn't be worth it to him IMO.

Barry's currently working for the Nats; he's already away from home a lot.

Turn Off Ads?