Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Wonder What Albert Belle Is Up To These Days??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ever Wonder What Albert Belle Is Up To These Days??

Former Slugger Belle Accused of Stalking Ex-Girlfriend
    Five-Time All-Star Outfielder Being Held Without Bond

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Feb. 16) - Former baseball star Albert Belle was arrested Thursday and charged with stalking his ex-girlfriend, police said.

Scottsdale police said the 39-year-old Belle was taken into custody after a former girlfriend told officers that he had stalked her.

Belle was being held without bond at the Maricopa County Jail in Phoenix, according to a county sheriff's department spokesman.

A five-time All-Star outfielder, Belle hit 381 career home runs in a 12-year big league career that began with the Cleveland Indians in 1989. He also played for the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore before retiring in 2000 after his second season with the Orioles.

The volatile Belle often ran into trouble on and off the field during his playing days.

He was fined in 1994 for using a corked bat and suspended after instigating a brawl by elbowing an opposing player. In 1991, he threw a baseball into the chest of a fan taunting him. Years later, he tossed a ball at a photographer.

Belle, who has lived in Arizona for several years, was arrested on a DUI charge here in September 2002.

02/16/06 21:35 EST

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Ever Wonder What Albert Belle Is Up To These Days??

It must be boring to be a millionaire ex baseball player in retirement.

I think Al has a mental illness.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    The thing that dissapoints me is that he got a DUI again. I thought he kicked that alcoholism thing. I wish AB would stick with the counseling, he seemed to be doing quite well for awhile.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Who doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Who doesn't?
    Certainly not us in the lollipop guild
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I remember when Albert Belle came up through the Indians system and was known as Joey Belle.

But in all seriousness, his character will offset his Hall of Fame statistics, and keep him from being enshrined.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I remember when Albert Belle came up through the Indians system and was known as Joey Belle.

But in all seriousness, his character will offset his Hall of Fame statistics, and keep him from being enshrined.
    Corked bats don't help much either.

It seems that 'Ol Albert is just as charming in retirement as he was when he played.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Albert Belle should be in the hall of fame.

The Lunatic Hall of Fame
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Cmon Joey

Note to self - remove that GPS unit from Adam's truck.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Here's some more dirt.

Albert Belle Arrested on Stalking Charge

By BOB CHRISTIE
    Associated Press Writer
    Published February 17, 2006, 12:36 PM CST

PHOENIX -- Albert Belle tracked his ex-girlfriend with a GPS device and repeatedly threatened her, according to a police probable cause statement filed in support of stalking charges.

The 39-year-old former baseball star was arrested in Scottsdale on Thursday and charged with stalking. He made an initial court appearance late Thursday, and a judge set bail at $108,000, ordered him to be electronically monitored and to stay away from the victim.

Reached by The Associated Press on Friday morning, Belle declined to comment on the case.

"You didn't write a story about my Hall of Fame induction," Belle said. "You guys never report the good stuff that I do."

Belle's next court appearance is set for Feb. 24.

Despite impressive statistics, Belle collected just 40 of the 390 votes needed to reach the Hall of Fame in voting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America in January. His prickly past was blamed by many for his low vote total.

The police probable cause statement said that Belle's former girlfriend discovered a Global Positioning System tracking device that had fallen off her car on Jan. 26. Believing that Belle was responsible, she called police, who began an investigation.

The unidentified woman told investigators that for several months Belle "had been showing up everywhere she went (the store, on dates, the gym, etc.)," the probable cause document stated. The woman asked Belle if he had placed the tracking device on her car, and he initially denied it.

But on Feb. 3, he left her a message apologizing for "doing all that tracking stuff," the statement said. A later recording had Belle threatening the woman, telling her she needed to hire a bodyguard for protection and that she "would never know what hit her," the statement said.

The volatile Belle often ran into trouble on and off the field during his playing days.

A five-time All-Star outfielder, Belle hit 381 career home runs in a 12-year career that began with the Cleveland Indians in 1989. He also played for the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore before retiring in 2000 after his second season with the Orioles.

He was fined in 1994 for using a corked bat and suspended after instigating a brawl by elbowing an opposing player. In 1991, he threw a baseball into the chest of a fan taunting him. Years later, he was fined $50,000 for berating a TV reporter and tossed a ball at a photographer.

Belle, who has lived in Arizona for several years, was arrested on a DUI charge in September 2002.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Albert Belle is my favorite baseball player of all-time, but he never fails to disappoint me with his behavior.

As Bill James pointed out, he's better than Hitler or Hussein. And the guy sure could hit.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Albert Belle is my favorite baseball player of all-time, but he never fails to disappoint me with his behavior.

As Bill James pointed out, he's better than Hitler or Hussein. And the guy sure could hit.
    He is one of mine as well Dom.

I always liked Belle. I know he may not be a wonderful fuzzy hugable teddy bear, but I like players based on playing, not the off the field stuff. If Puckett is HOF material, so is Belle.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?