Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brad Paisley/Sara Evans concert

Brad Paisley/Sara Evans concert

Last night my wife and I went to a concert in Huntington, WV featuring Brad Currington, Sara Evans and the headliner, Brad Paisley. I do not know how many country music fans we have here, but I really recommend the show to those who like that genre of music.
    I don't know all that much about Currington, who had a hit a couple of years ago singing a duet with Shania Twain. My wife thought he was cute.
    Sara Evans was great. She is one of the rare singers I've heard (Martina McBride is another) who is every bit as good "live" as she is on recordings, not needing any studio "sweetening" on her recordings. She has one of the better and most powerful voices in country music and had good stage presence. In addition to singing her hits, she sang a song that may be her new singles, "Coal Mine," which to no surprise went over very well in the crowd of West Virginians.
    Brad Paisley is a native West Virginian, hailing from the northern panhandle. He mentioned previously playing at local venues as he was breaking into the business, including the Mountaineer Opry House in Milton and the Pumpkin Festival. One member of his stage band was from nearby Portsmouth, Ohio. Every other band member was a West Virginian, including guys from Bluefield, Big Ugly and Huntington.
    Paisley is a good singer, but that is perhaps one of his lesser talents. He is a gifted and inventive song writer, has good presence, and is an amazing guitarist. He also just appears to be a good person and a guy who would like to simply jam all night if he could.
    Paisley of course sang all of his hits, including "I'm Gonna Miss Her," "He Didn't Have To Be," "Celebrity," "Whiskey Lullaby" and "Alcohol."
    My favorite Paisley song is his current single, "When I Get Where I'm Going," a song affirming the singer's belief that when he dies he will be in Heaven, that he will be reunited with loved ones, and people should not mourn him. As he sang, videos of departed celebrities flashed on screen, such as late country artists Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Minnie Pearl. The audience applauded in recognition of each decedent, who also included John and Bobby Kennedy and Ronald Reagan. At first, the loudest recognition was for Dale Earnhardt, not surprising for this area. However, towards the end of the song the names of each of the West Virginian coal miners who perished earlier this year in mining accidents were shown on the screen. I was surprised to feel a tingle go down by spine when their names were shown. Paisley later stated that relatives of the miners were at the concert.
    A great show.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brad Paisley/Sara Evans concert

We saw Brad Paisley in 2004, and he is outstanding! I grew up with country music, and although I don't listen to it much anymore, I still like the more traditional artists. Paisley is my favorite, by far. My wife has never listened to country music, so she was a bit skeptical before we went. She thoroughly enjoyed it, though, and still occasionally mentions it to this day.

Brad is as good a guitarist as you're going to hear, but my favorite part of his talent is his songs and singing. He does plenty of jammin', though, and almost too much for my taste. I love good guitar playing, but some of the solos went a little long, I thought. All in all, though, he's a great entertainer, and an even greater guy. Success HAS NOT gone to his head at all.

I didn't realize that he was touring with Sara Evans. Thanks for the heads-up, Baron. I'll have to check out his schedule.

I saw Brad a few years ago when he opened for Toby Keith. You are right about his amazing guitar playing. If he was genre of music that was considered "cool", he would be getting a lot of press.

And you mention the miners relatives being at the show. I heard on the radio that Brad paid for their transporation, lodging, and meals (and tickets of course) so they could attend the concert.

Speaking of Toby, I am going to go see him this Thur here in Dayton. 8th row seats, baby!!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I saw Brad a few years ago when he opened for Toby Keith. You are right about his amazing guitar playing. If he was genre of music that was considered "cool", he would be getting a lot of press.
    Just one note on what Creek said here, among the musicians I know and talk with Brad is considered very cool. One metal head guitarist said seeing Brad in concert prompted him to go out, buy a Tele, and learn some country licks.

He may not be getting popular press attention, but the musicians are paying attention.

One of the other cool facts about Brad Paisley, is his band. His band is made up of his friends and not the run-of-the-mill Nashville players. Some of these guys have been playing with Brad for a long long time, both on-stage and in the studio.

I saw the Brad and Sara concert in Dayton this year and I saw Brad play at the Ohio State Fair this past summer. He is one of my favorite musicians because like everyone else has said he can do it all. The two shows that I have been too have been in small venues and have been very personal. He seems to be very down to earth and appreciates his fans, his music, and where he came from. One of the best things about Brad is his sense of humor. I usually don't like concerts where the artist talks a lot but I make an exception for Brad. The song that he performs Put the Toilet Seat Down cracks me up everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak
    The song that he performs Put the Toilet Seat Down cracks me up everytime.
    He sang the song last night. It was such a moving ballad that it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    One of the other cool facts about Brad Paisley, is his band. His band is made up of his friends and not the run-of-the-mill Nashville players. Some of these guys have been playing with Brad for a long long time, both on-stage and in the studio.
    Are they all from Kentucky? The reason I ask is that at the Louisville show I saw, he introduced the band members and stated their hometowns. Most, if not all, of them were stated as being from somewhere in Kentucky.

Two of my favorites in Brad Paisley and Sara Evans. I love his rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross" at the Grand Ole Opry on his "Part II" CD. He's a very talented individual. Sara Evans can flat out sing, and is very attractive to boot. Sounds like a great show, Reds Baron. There was a picture of Sara Evans and one of the members of a Marshall forum that I frequent. I'm supposing it is from the recent show you are talking about.

I really like Brad Paisley as well. He is perhaps the only solo male country artist who I really have gotten into. Not that there are not other deserving artists, mind you, just that Brad is one guy whose music has grabbed my attention, and he seems to have a great personality as well. I like what I hear from Sara Evans but do not own any of her work.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Sara sang God Bless America at on Opening Day a few years back. Then in her next video she wore a tee shirt with a 44 on it.

Coincidence? I think not.

I haven't liked her since.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Sara sang God Bless America at on Opening Day a few years back. Then in her next video she wore a tee shirt with a 44 on it.

You have something against Hank Aaron and Willie McCovey's number?

Now that I'd love to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Paisley's song "Celebrity" really hits the spot for me. Though in a tongue-in-cheek manner, it really does exemplify what goes on with the rich and famous

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Two of my favorites in Brad Paisley and Sara Evans. I love his rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross" at the Grand Ole Opry on his "Part II" CD.
    Yep, me too, Randy. It's just a man, his voice, and his guitar. I've listened to that track over and over and over. Brad has included a gospel song as the last track on every one of his CDs, and they've all been awesome. I'm thinking he should just go ahead and release a gospel CD.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Yep, me too, Randy. It's just a man, his voice, and his guitar. I've listened to that track over and over and over. Brad has included a gospel song as the last track on every one of his CDs, and they've all been awesome. I'm thinking he should just go ahead and release a gospel CD.
    If you care for Alan Jackson, his gospel album is coming out at the end of this month. It was just a collection of hymns that he recorded for his mom as a Christmas present, so I read somewhere. But the head of Jackson's record label took a listen and said "you gotta release this."

On the subject of the thread, I can take or leave a lot of contemporary country, but Paisley's one of my favorites.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?