Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narron quote

Hybrid View

Narron quote

Rich is the type of player who knows how to play the game.
    Isn't that comforting. I have no doubt he will be the 3rd baseman on opening day. Afterall, he "knows how to play the game".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Re: Narron quote

You don't know how much I hate that quote. Of course he knows how to play the game or else he wouldn't have made it past Little League! Geez what a stupid quote. I feel like jumping in front of a bus everytime I hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Geez what a stupid quote.
    It implies there must be a lot of guys who "don't know how to play the game".

I KNOW how to play the game too. Doesn't mean I deserve to start. Maybe I do?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Believe it or not, there are a lot of guys on the Reds who I would say DON'T know how to play the game. This has been a bad team fundamentally for years. Poor defensively, poor decisions, bad baserunning, no understanding of situational baseball. They play a little like a beer league softball team -- right down to the underhand tossing pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    Believe it or not, there are a lot of guys on the Reds who I would say DON'T know how to play the game. This has been a bad team fundamentally for years. Poor defensively, poor decisions, bad baserunning, no understanding of situational baseball. They play a little like a beer league softball team -- right down to the underhand tossing pitchers.
    ... thank God the Reds have guys like Rich.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I KNOW how to play the game too. Doesn't mean I deserve to start. Maybe I do?
    Me, too!!! [but I throw like a girl...]
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Me, too!!! [but I throw like a girl...]
    Probably don't know how to adjust a jockstrap either.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Probably don't know how to adjust a jockstrap either.
    I do know how to adjust my [C] cups...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    I do know how to adjust my [C] cups...
    That's not a big deal, there are always lots of guys willing to help with that.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Why do folks get so upset at GM speak or coach talk?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Because historically with the Reds, it's not just talk, but evidence of how they truly think.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I don't, I find it humorous. What a quote like "he knows how to play to game" show is that there isn't really anything objective you can point to in a players numbers to justify his existence. So Narron appeals to the subjective and intangible to justify his future 3rd baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I don't, I find it humorous. What a quote like "he knows how to play to game" show is that there isn't really anything objective you can point to in a players numbers to justify his existence. So Narron appeals to the subjective and intangible to justify his future 3rd baseman.
    Do you really think that a coach or GM is going to give a deep thought on a players skills in the press?

Narron, Krivsky, EVERY manager and GM is speaking to the average fan who automatically paints a picture of a ball player that goes back to the 50's when they hear this sort of response...it says they have "grit, substance, hustle, etc...who ever the reporter was that used the quote is just as guilty for trotting that phrase out as "news" in their article.

At the end, you are right...it is all subjective and intangible...if you or I want statements other than that we'll need to talk to "the man" directly...then I wouldn't say he would say much more than that to any of us.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Narron, Krivsky, EVERY manager and GM is speaking to the average fan who automatically paints a picture of a ball player that goes back to the 50's when they hear this sort of response...it says they have "grit, substance, hustle, etc...who ever the reporter was that used the quote is just as guilty for trotting that phrase out as "news" in their article.
    Yup, and that average fan is taking in every word he/she hears as gospel. When a mediochre player is touted like that, the average fan is being mislead. They should be touting the players that deserve it and just make a passing comment about others... something like "Richie's going to be versatile off the bench".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?