Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narron quote

Re: Narron quote

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    If Aurillia gets the majority of starts at 3b, I'll be one of the people yelling the loudest, but I think we need to wait and see. Let's give Narron (now free of DanO's influence) at least a chance to make the right moves.
    I found it telling that in the article in the Enquirer
    a) Narron did not mention Aurilia as being part of the 2B competition
    b) Narron is "hoping Edwin Encarnacion plays well and shows he can be a major-league player." I can read between the lines. If EE doesn't have a greeat spring his ticket will be punched for AAA.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I found it telling that in the article in the Enquirer
    a) Narron did not mention Aurilia as being part of the 2B competition
    b) Narron is "hoping Edwin Encarnacion plays well and shows he can be a major-league player." I can read between the lines. If EE doesn't have a greeat spring his ticket will be punched for AAA.
    The number of posts on the matter say you're upset
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Let's give Narron (now free of DanO's influence) at least a chance to make the right moves.
    I don't buy that Dan O influenced the managers to play RA, that was their own call. Face it, the Reds have been managed since 1997 by a succession of ex-catchers who didn't play for Davey Johnson, No, they played for guys who played for Rickey or they sat all game next to Gene Mauch.

They themselves often had substandard skills and in turn got by on drive and guile.

That's a BIG part of the game, it's a huge perception and a reality, teams like players who are emotional and not the ones who drift through the game like Willie Green, they like guys who hone in on playing mentally since they need that aspect to make them at least average MLB players. Some have the theory that those type of guys help you win by not making mistakes, the payoff in the mind of the manager is that the "Vet" will not dangle the game over the ledge with youthful indiscrections (IE "Not playing the game the way it should be played")

Is it right?

Is it fair?

Not really.. however is it a big part of the game? Yes it is and it always will be, because it's a game of people, not types. Here's and example of how the RA "type" of player is viewed by "baseball people"

When Larry Bowa first came up he had a portion of the the tools to make the big leagues, however he couldn't hit at all and the scouts all LOVED him... he had the drive, he had the "stuff" to make the team and by gawd he did.

Hurray for the underdog!!!

Contrast that with an opinion on Richie (Dick) Allen from the same guy.

"Richie Allen had all the tools, if he had been 1/2 as "gritty" as Larry Bowa he would have made the Hall of Fame."
    It's somewhat debatable that Allen should be in the HOF (I say yes), what's not debatable is that a good portion of the baseball people have let their human aspect of the game influence their decision on whether that makes him worthy of the HOF or not.

It's a BIG part of the game this human value judgement.

As is the manager with the mic or the scribe in front of him spouting off coaching lingo about effort and playing the game right.

Rich is the type of player who knows how to play the game.
    I bet he give 110%.
    I bet he comes ready to play.
    I bet he leaves it all on the field.
    I bet no one takes him out of his rhythm.
    I bet he can execute.
    I bet he plays all nine innings.

There, that should give Jerry a couple weeks of quotes about good ole Richie boy.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I don't buy that Dan O influenced the managers to play RA, that was their own call. Face it, the Reds have been managed since 1997 by a succession of ex-catchers who didn't play for Davey Johnson, No, they played for guys who played for Rickey or they sat all game next to Gene Mauch.

They themselves often had substandard skills and in turn got by on drive and guile.

That's a BIG part of the game, it's a huge perception and a reality, teams like players who are emotional and not the ones who drift through the game like Willie Green, they like guys who hone in on playing mentally since they need that aspect to make them at least average MLB players. Some have the theory that those type of guys help you win by not making mistakes, the payoff in the mind of the manager is that the "Vet" will not dangle the game over the ledge with youthful indiscrections (IE "Not playing the game the way it should be played")

Is it right?

Is it fair?

Not really.. however is it a big part of the game? Yes it is and it always will be, because it's a game of people, not types. Here's and example of how the RA "type" of player is viewed by "baseball people"

When Larry Bowa first came up he had a portion of the the tools to make the big leagues, however he couldn't hit at all and the scouts all LOVED him... he had the drive, he had the "stuff" to make the team and by gawd he did.

Hurray for the underdog!!!

Contrast that with an opinion on Richie (Dick) Allen from the same guy.

It's somewhat debatable that Allen should be in the HOF (I say yes), what's not debatable is that a good portion of the baseball people have let their human aspect of the game influence their decision on whether that makes him worthy of the HOF or not.

It's a BIG part of the game this human value judgement.

As is the manager with the mic or the scribe in front of him spouting off coaching lingo about effort and playing the game right.

I completely agree.

You have to understand this to fully understand baseball.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I bet he give 110%.
    I bet he comes ready to play.
    I bet he leaves it all on the field.
    I bet no one takes him out of his rhythm.
    I bet he can execute.
    I bet he plays all nine innings.

There, that should give Jerry a couple weeks of quotes about good ole Richie boy.
    Can we start a list of why EE will be on the bench?

He Needs Experience
    He Doesn't Have All The Intaglbles Yet
    We Need Solid Contact Guys
    He's Too Young
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

He Needs Experience
    He Doesn't Have All The Intaglbles Yet
    We Need Solid Contact Guys
    He's Too Young
    He needs to play everyday.
    Last edited by flyer85; 02-17-2006 at 12:25 PM.

EE needs some seasoning.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I KNOW how to play the game too. Doesn't mean I deserve to start. Maybe I do?
    Me, too!!! [but I throw like a girl...]
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 19-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Me, too!!! [but I throw like a girl...]
    Probably don't know how to adjust a jockstrap either.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Probably don't know how to adjust a jockstrap either.
    I do know how to adjust my [C] cups...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 19-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    I do know how to adjust my [C] cups...
    That's not a big deal, there are always lots of guys willing to help with that.

He doesn't do the subatomic things.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    He doesn't do the subatomic things.
    Damn ... I never would have thought of that one.

I don't, I find it humorous. What a quote like "he knows how to play to game" show is that there isn't really anything objective you can point to in a players numbers to justify his existence. So Narron appeals to the subjective and intangible to justify his future 3rd baseman.
    Do you really think that a coach or GM is going to give a deep thought on a players skills in the press?

Narron, Krivsky, EVERY manager and GM is speaking to the average fan who automatically paints a picture of a ball player that goes back to the 50's when they hear this sort of response...it says they have "grit, substance, hustle, etc...who ever the reporter was that used the quote is just as guilty for trotting that phrase out as "news" in their article.

At the end, you are right...it is all subjective and intangible...if you or I want statements other than that we'll need to talk to "the man" directly...then I wouldn't say he would say much more than that to any of us.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?