Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlins to....Oklahoma???

Marlins to....Oklahoma???

Marlins discuss possibly moving to Oklahoma

Associated Press
    Posted: 20 hours ago

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin has talked to the Florida Marlins about the possibility of having the team move to Oklahoma City.

"It's all very preliminary, but I have received some good feedback from the Marlins," Fallin said in a statement Thursday.
    Marlins owner Jeff Loria once owned the old Oklahoma City 89ers Triple-A team.

Fallin said she wrote to Marlins president David Samson last November after seeing reports that the team was considering leaving the Miami area. The Marlins have not been able to strike a deal for a new ballpark in the Miami area.

She said she has spoken by telephone several times to with Marlins vice chairman Joel Mael and sent Marlins' officials a packet of economic development and demographic information about central Oklahoma.

"The Marlins have asked for some more detailed information, and we are working to put that together for them," she said. "I will bringing Chamber of Commerce and local and state government leaders together very soon to begin that process.

"Obviously, one strong sales point has been the tremendous success of the NBA Hornets in Oklahoma City this season. We are suddenly on the map for big league sports."
    Average Weather In Oklahoma City
    April 60.4
    May 68.4
    June 76.7
    July 82.0
    August 81.1
    September 73.0

Lookout for tornados....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins to....Oklahoma???

We lived in Oklahoma in the mid 70s. We were pretty good friends with the neighbors across the street. The mother was a 1st grade teacher; the father played college baseball at the same school as Mike Hargrove. The Big Red Machine was in its prime. The catcher on that team was a kid from Oklahoma as well, so our neighbor was following the Reds pretty closely. My dad is a die hard Reds fan. We had a tornado cellar in our back yard, while the neighbors didn't. I can remember at least one time that the respective mothers packed all of us kids into the cellar whilst the fathers stayed in the house to watch the Reds game (must have been playoffs, or WS). Generally we only went into the cellar under conditions when a tornado had been sited nearby.

Yes all those boarded up towns on Route 66 will be aching to drive to the OKC to see the Marlins.

I think this is one that needs to be filed under "Snowball's Chance in Hell"
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Will they sing OKALAHOMA at every home game?
    Go Gators!

Major league baseball may have erred when it made its last round of expansion. The game among ownership has always been to get the taxpayers to pay to build a new ballpark by threatening to move a team to another city. There may not be that many cities left who do not have a major league team and who are really viable locations for a team.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I think this is one that needs to be filed under "Snowball's Chance in Hell"
    The Hornets(NBA) have been having big crowds and a lot of success in Oklahoma City.

At this point it is a "Field of Dreams" scenario for franchise relocation. That is "build it they will come".

For the Marlins it is like being the last one to the party and there aren't any prety girls left to dance with.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

There have only been two privatley financed stadiums built in MLB since 1915, both sit in marketplaces that should hemorage support and dollars.

Once the tax code favored ownership amongst a group as opposed to an individual the game has been to get the public to finance a portion or the whole ticket.

This usually is the approach made by civic leaders who own a part of the team as well as surrounding property, recent examples are the Reds and Texas, both franchises are run by men who made a killing off of the surrounding area placed where a new stadium is placed.

Then they get lauded for saving the team from moving to places like the OKC

The Hornets(NBA) have been having big crowds and a lot of success in Oklahoma City.
    Until recently the Trailblazers could claim the same thing for over 2 decades, plus this is a *growing* area.

Just one that doesn't want to build a stadium for a snake like JL and the Marlins.

any chance they stay in miami?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Major league baseball may have erred when it made its last round of expansion. The game among ownership has always been to get the taxpayers to pay to build a new ballpark by threatening to move a team to another city. There may not be that many cities left who do not have a major league team and who are really viable locations for a team.
    You make a good point. I know they would never do this but perhaps they should help finance building these stadiums. Give the owner a loan to help do it. Perhaps in the next round of expansion, any city getting a new team has to either have a new stadium or have concrete plans and financing that have been approved by the city/county/state already.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    Only if they build the stadium themselves.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I think so. It is a major media market AND they don't have anywhere else to go.

I think contraction has a better chance of happening than does the Marlins moving.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

The Oklahoma City Tornadoes. I like the sound of that. But I doubt that it happens. Quite frankly MLB needs to contract before they move or expand again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I hope they stay in Miami. They must have some of the best scouts in the bigs. These guys consistlently have no trouble building a winner with a team full of young stud horses.

Namely right now, they have Cabrera, who other than Dunn and Pujols is the best young player in baseball. When I say young i mean 26 and Under.

They also have young D Willis. We don't have the pitching prospect to match that at the ML level. Keep your fingers crossed that Homer Bailey stays healthy, stays hungry, and has a few big league seasons like D. Willis already has. One thing is for sure, he won't ever hit like Willis.

Turn Off Ads?