Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Campers Cry Foul Over Opening Day Vouchers

Ticket Campers Cry Foul Over Opening Day Vouchers

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/spo...53/detail.html

Um, I feel sorry for the folks that were camped out there for a week - doh! I don't think it means they will not get tickets i'm assuming, but maybe not as good as they hoped.

I've been driving by these people daily on the way home - tents all the way around the block now - it's a bit ridiculous and could be handled better in the future, there has to be a better way than having people camped out all night downtown in freezing cold weather. I am suprised none of them were robbed overnight with PS2's and whatnot in their tents!

Statement From the Reds:

It is unfortunate that some fans were disappointed today in our efforts to minimize line crashers and protect those who have been patiently waiting in line for an extended period of time to purchase Opening Day tickets. Our goal was to do the right thing and we made every effort to be fair. Unfortunately, some fans were disappointed in the process of issuing vouchers indicating place in line.
    The Reds strive to make the on sale of Opening Day tickets as fair as possible. With such a high demand for tickets it is not possible for everyone to acquire Opening Day tickets. We are truly appreciative of all of our fans, and especially admire those who have persevered the elements over the past week. Under the direction of new ownership we have provided additional vouchers to allow this group to be in line to have the opportunity to purchase Opening Day tickets.
    The Reds will review and consider changes to the procedures for next seasons on sale at Great American Ball Park.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ticket Campers Cry Foul Over Opening Day Vouchers

Ouch.
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

So the Reds try to make a gesture and people are still ungrateful, folks that are camping out in February are complaining because they had to go to a garage because it was windy and cold, you can get tickets many different ways...that makes my head hurt.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unfortunately, some fans were disappointed in the process of issuing vouchers indicating place in line.
    I don't get it. If they were given a voucher to indicate their place in line, then what have they lost? What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I don't get it. If they were given a voucher to indicate their place in line, then what have they lost? What am I missing here?
    Some didn't know about the vouchers apparently and could have kept their place in line.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

It sounds like only the ones who missed out on the vouchers are those that "retired" to the parking garage. Unfortunate, but that's life.

Also, didn't the article say that when they came out the next morning that someone had taken their place in line, or something like that? I couldn't quite figure that out. Regardless, how does one leave the line for an entire night and expect to keep his/her place? Or was someone supposed to be saving it for them?

"Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

how many of those whining about this were really interested in going to the game anyway? probably trying to make a buck by charging some other poor sap way too much money...now they'll probably be a lawsuit

I guess it is bad for some, but maybe better overall. For Game 2 in the 1990 World Series, I left Terre Haute that morning I think at 5 AM to stand inl line all day for a few hundred tickets left. Sale was supposed to start that afternoon. The line was short when I arrived, 50 or so, but later on, it got kind of riotous and out of control, and I ended up way back, and had to go to a scalper. Someone could get hurt in a situation like this. Too bad the vouchers weren't mentioned earlier.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Go Gators!

Nice gesture by the owner. But as far as I'm concerned - standing (waiting) in line means just that, and requires you to physically be there. Not showing up, getting in line, and then leaving to either go to work, get something to eat, etc., and have someone there "holding" your spot for you.

Your original intent, and the reason for standing/camping out in line is to be some of the first in line to get decent seats. It seems that concept has been lost somewhere.

Vouchers? We don't need no stinkin' vouchers!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

When you get in line, they should have someone there to register your place in line. Announce an hour before you are passing out the vouchers. When its time to pass out the vouchers, if you are not there, you don't get a voucher.

GL

How bout just give out vouchers to start?

That way I can go down now and get in line for next year
    Go Gators!

Somehow the ticket guy or security guard "announced" they were issuing vouchers - at a different time than they normally do every year, and stood there - instead of just going down the line of tents and handing them one...which seems to be a more orderly, fair way of doing things. Those tents are in a perfect, orderly line and it's very obvious who's been there the longest. I am not aware of the garage issue though. I would think those people would lose their place.

Some people were literally out there for a week, just give them the voucher, as stupid as it may be, they earned it, if their tent was first in line.

They should limit "camping" until the day or two before, and clearly mark spots on the sidewalk as places in line and hand them out to whomever is camping or standing in those "spots" when they give out vouchers, IMO.

I really cannot imagine spending a week of my life in a tent on a city sidewalk like that, the sanity of those people are another issue.

I really cannot imagine spending a week of my life in a tent on a city sidewalk like that, the sanity of those people are another issue.
    Sounds to me like a lot of them don't... they leave to go to work and have another person hold their space (or whomever is in front/back of them), they leave to sleep elsewhere (some in their cars which were parked in a no-parking zone), etc.

I suppose some of them actually do stay the entire time, but every person there must have to leave at some time or another to go to the bathroom!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Nice gesture by the owner. But as far as I'm concerned - standing (waiting) in line means just that, and requires you to physically be there. Not showing up, getting in line, and then leaving to either go to work, get something to eat, etc., and have someone there "holding" your spot for you.

Your original intent, and the reason for standing/camping out in line is to be some of the first in line to get decent seats. It seems that concept has been lost somewhere.

Vouchers? We don't need no stinkin' vouchers!
    I'm surprised we haven't heard from displaced panhandlers...I mean, those are real homeless people, right?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?