Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hancock got cut....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Josh Hancock got cut....

Per Marc's blog -

SARASOTA -- On the first day of spring training workouts, the Reds released Josh Hancock. The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight, and with so many pitchers already contending for valuable mound time, Jerry Narron decided to get rid of the 27-year-old right-hander.

"At the end of the year last year, the last day in St. Louis when I talked to these players, I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," said Narron. "I said the only way you can do that is being committed, by working out this winter and coming to spring training in shape, taking seriously what you’re doing.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing. As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight. Can he be a successful major league pitcher 17 pounds more than he’s asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year, and he was on the disabled list for 133 games, and just did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter. So we let him go the first day of spring training.

"I hope he has a great major league career. I hope this opens his eyes to exactly what he needs to be to be a great major league pitcher. But it goes back to what I just said – we just didn’t see the commitment, so we’re going to give him the opportunity to go somewhere else."

Asked if everyone else's physicals checked out OK, Narron kept going.

"I’m a guy that believes in treating everybody with respect and honesty, and everybody in that clubhouse I definitely will do that with," he said. "But I am not going to sit here and tell you I’ll treat everybody the same. I believe you earn the right to do different things in this game. There might be a player come in here tomorrow that’s 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."
    Let the yawning begin.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: Josh Hancock got cut....

Hopefully first day of full team workouts Narron sends the message that old players that suck will not be tolerated and Aurilia and Womack are sent packing.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Hopefully first day of full team workouts Narron sends the message that old players that suck will not be tolerated and Aurilia and Womack are sent packing.

Hear! Hear!

What an idiot Hancock is...he rides the gravy train for 133 games last year and thinks it's business as usual...I used to like him, but now I can't stand him....who does he think paid him for those 133 games? You the fans, that's who.

Good riddance!
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I hope Womack reports in looking like Santa Claus.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Aurilia doesnt suck! He may be old, but he surely doesnt belong anywhere near the same company as Womack. Aurilia should be coming off the bench and getting a start maybe once a week if an infielder needs a day off, but to cut him would be a bad move in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Aurilia doesnt suck! He may be old, but he surely doesnt belong anywhere near the same company as Womack. Aurilia should be coming off the bench and getting a start maybe once a week if an infielder needs a day off, but to cut him would be a bad move in my opinion.
    he's got about as much range as my grandmother.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    he's got about as much range as my grandmother.
    And she's deceased!

(Note to Jpup - If your Grandma has gone over the great divide, please except my sincerest sympathies. If not, please accept my sincere apologies about your alive and kickin' Grandma. There was a joke there - and it needed to be exploited. Thank you)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He belongs in the EXACT same company as Womack. Both are overvalued and will, thus, be overused by Narron.

Throw in the fact that Rich has a bad habit of running his trap to the media about his playing status--and you've got yourself a full dose clubhouse tension at SOME point of this season. If you look at the mashers the Reds will run out there this year, you simply need to put cats on base in front of them to be successful. Freel and EdE will more than carry their share of that load and can run circles around Rich and Womack defensively.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Aurilia hits .330 with RISP laast season and hits .282 overall and you want to cut him because the manager is to stupid to use him off the bench? That isnt Rich's fault, its Narrons fault. Rich has little to no range in the field, but thats why you use him once a week or so to start and give a guy a day off, or you bring him in to pinch hit.

On the brink of disaster

Aurilia hits .330 with RISP laast season and hits .282 overall and you want to cut him because the manager is to stupid to use him off the bench? That isnt Rich's fault, its Narrons fault. Rich has little to no range in the field, but thats why you use him once a week or so to start and give a guy a day off, or you bring him in to pinch hit.
    Here is one of my two problems with Rich Aurillia:
    Code:
    Entire Season      TEAM  G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG 
    Home     Cincinnati Reds 58 214 39 71 12   2  11  50  120  18  31  1   0  .380 .561 .332 
    Away     Cincinnati Reds 56 212 22 49 11   0  3   18  69   19  36  1   0  .296 .325 .231
    My second is his mouth... I guess if every game was played at GABP and he had a muzzle then i'd be all for him....

Exactly! and that's his "maximum" value...his true value is riding the sofa at home, not the bench in the dugout.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

People should note that Marc's post does NOT say Hancock actually GAINED 17 pounds. It says "The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight".

That could well mean his goal was to lose 10 pounds, and he actually gained 7.

I am still glad to see Jerry narron and Wayne Krivsky lay down the law!

Mike

If Aurilia does not want to come off the bench why force him? He will cry, throw a fit, and just be a giant destraction. He is not even close to being worth the problem.

Hancock had potential. Probably pull a Ryan Dempster and revive his career somewhere else.

I'm glad Narron released him. This statement says it all:

"At the end of the year last year, the last day in St. Louis when I talked to these players, I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," said Narron. "I said the only way you can do that is being committed, by working out this winter and coming to spring training in shape, taking seriously what you’re doing.
    Hancock either wasn't listening or has no committment. They were told what was expected; he chose to ignore it.

It sends the right message to the team.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?