Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hancock got cut....

Re: Josh Hancock got cut....

People should note that Marc's post does NOT say Hancock actually GAINED 17 pounds. It says "The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight".

That could well mean his goal was to lose 10 pounds, and he actually gained 7.

I am still glad to see Jerry narron and Wayne Krivsky lay down the law!

Mike

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do you guys remember who Hancock was traded for? I'm blanking on it.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj

IIRC, the Reds got Hancock and Machado for Todd Jones.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Along with Anderson Machado (the savior) Hancock was dealt for Todd Jones.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

It doesn't take a great deal of courage for a manager to cut a non-roster player for coming in out of shape. Let's see what happens if Kearns, Dunn, or Valentin come in toting a spare tire like last year. What will "Baseball Guy" do then?

Well that deal worked out.
    Go Gators!

I doubt the move was designed to send a message at all. My feeling is that Narron has too many 6 and 7th starters and Hancock being overweight just helped lighten the load of subpar pitching.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    It doesn't take a great deal of courage for a manager to cut a non-roster player for coming in out of shape. Let's see what happens if Kearns, Dunn, or Valentin come in toting a spare tire like last year. What will "Baseball Guy" do then?
    Considering all 3 of those guys have pretty nice contracts I'd say "Spring Break" is what would happen if they were told to go home.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    I believe he already addressed that:

"I’m a guy that believes in treating everybody with respect and honesty, and everybody in that clubhouse I definitely will do that with," he said. "But I am not going to sit here and tell you I’ll treat everybody the same. I believe you earn the right to do different things in this game. There might be a player come in here tomorrow that’s 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    IIRC, the Reds got Hancock and Machado for Todd Jones.
    Thank you. Since the Phillies got the "bad" version of Jones, and the Red Sox, who had him originally, got Jeremy Giambi for him, I'm thinking the Reds probably still won that rather dubious round of deck chair rearranging.

http://www.addictsports.com/baseball...ad.php?t=41236

Yep Jones and some minor leaguer named Brad Correll for Anderson Machado (whos gotta be getting nervous about his employment) and Josh Hancock.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/phi/ne..._phi&fext=.jsp

In a move to bolster their starting rotation, the Phillies acquired right-hander Cory Lidle from the Cincinnati Reds for two minor leaguers, outfielder Javon Moran and left-handed pitcher Joe Wilson, along with a player to be named later or cash (I think this is where we got Elizardo Ramirez), Phillies vice president and general manager Ed Wade announced Monday.

One out of two for our EX GM isnt bad... granted this deal was probably his best of all (Thats not saying much) of his time in Cincy.

I guess I called this one wrong. I honestly thought he would be in the rotation. I guess I wanted it more for him than he did. I'm guessing there must be more to this than I know. They were not in any hurry to bring him back from rehabbing last year and now this. Does anyone know if he has a bad attitude or if he just got in the doghouse and couldn't get out. I know your players need to be in shape to produce but to be released on the first day of spring training. Talk about a kick in the gut.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

For anyone that cares, Hancock signed with St. Louis to a minor league contract

Ex-Tree

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    For anyone that cares, Hancock signed with St. Louis to a minor league contract
    I'm starting to wonder about St. Louis. They've traditionally signed "character" types. Rolen, Walker, and the sort. This year, Hancock, Ponson, Encarnacion. I'm guessing that all that "Big Mac" money has finally dried up. That's a shame, because Hancock's bound to be getting hungry by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos
    I'm starting to wonder about St. Louis. They've traditionally signed "character" types.
    Does Hancock have a bad attitude?

Turn Off Ads?