Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Hancock released

Josh Hancock released

Per Marc's blog....

SARASOTA -- On the first day of spring training workouts, the Reds released Josh Hancock. The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight, and with so many pitchers already contending for valuable mound time, Jerry Narron decided to get rid of the 27-year-old right-hander.

"At the end of the year last year, the last day in St. Louis when I talked to these players, I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," said Narron. "I said the only way you can do that is being committed, by working out this winter and coming to spring training in shape, taking seriously what youíre doing.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing. As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight. Can he be a successful major league pitcher 17 pounds more than heís asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year, and he was on the disabled list for 133 games, and just did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter. So we let him go the first day of spring training.

"I hope he has a great major league career. I hope this opens his eyes to exactly what he needs to be to be a great major league pitcher. But it goes back to what I just said Ė we just didnít see the commitment, so weíre going to give him the opportunity to go somewhere else."

Asked if everyone else's physicals checked out OK, Narron kept going.

"Iím a guy that believes in treating everybody with respect and honesty, and everybody in that clubhouse I definitely will do that with," he said. "But I am not going to sit here and tell you Iíll treat everybody the same. I believe you earn the right to do different things in this game. There might be a player come in here tomorrow thatís 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...ng-message.asp
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hancock released

About time.

I'm hoping Aurilia, Womack, and Milton show up looking like this(with a few more pieces of clothing on)...

Wow, Jerry isn't messing around.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

DanO will resign him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Hey...I like that approach. JN is saying, "Hey guys, let's get serious."

Sounds like Josh went on the Danny Graves offseason training plan.

Gain weight, but end up feeling really small.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Second dismissal for Josh. Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League sent him home after 5 dismal starts.

As for the 17 pounds, blame the "arepas".
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm digging the spark behind what Narron is saying here, the jury is still out on Narron with me for the most part, but this...I likey.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

There is no room for someone not committed. I think this shows Jerry understands very well his own job is on the line.

I still don't understand how a professional athlete can let him/herself gain that much weight, especially in such a short amount of time. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    I still don't understand how a professional athlete can let him/herself gain that much weight, especially in such a short amount of time. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with this 100%. Maybe I just like money too much, but I would try to maximize my ability (and my wallet) at all times. Getting out of shape just starts you out in the spring behind the guys who worked hard.

Lack of conditioning was one of the many reasons I could never stand Danny Graves.

Just sad, the Brewers have a program that involves the players connecting with the training staff every two weeks about their progress on specific programs designed for them. I assume each Reds player is given a program that fits their body type and focuses on weak spots and injured areas, then I would expect the training staff to dog the players.

But in the end it's the player who puts that twinkie in their mouth.

On a side note Dan O'Brien is batting an amazing 1.000 in absolute suckitude and the residue that it leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    I agree with this 100%. Maybe I just like money too much, but I would try to maximize my ability (and my wallet) at all times. Getting out of shape just starts you out in the spring behind the guys who worked hard.

Lack of conditioning was one of the many reasons I could never stand Danny Graves.
    Not only that, but it's part of their job to stay in shape, they get paid to do so. I hold two jobs, have for some time, and I still find the time to work out five days a week because I think health and fitness is important. These baseball players have roughly a four month offseason where all they have to do that is job related is work out and hone their skills...doing anything short of that is inexcuseable, if I and many people like me can find the time with our normal lives and schedules to stay in shape, I'm quite sure that these athletes can too.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Maybe he had a gland disorder??
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Maybe he had a gland disorder??

That very well could be the case, and if it is, my statement isn't directed at him. But it still applies to every healthy athlete out there who decide to let themselves go due to sheer laziness.

Turn Off Ads?