Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milton feels he has a leg up (2/18)

Milton feels he has a leg up (2/18)

February 18, 2006
    Milton feels he has a leg up
    Troubles date to knee injury
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Based on his legs, Eric Milton thinks things will be better this year.

Milton's miserable 2005 season, he said, might be traced all the way back to March 2003 when he tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee. After the surgery that followed, Milton wasn't able to do the weight work with his legs that he would have liked to do.

"This is the first offseason since '03 that I've been able to really work my legs," he said. "I added weight. I feel a lot stronger in my lower half. Hopefully, it'll be different."

For the Reds to have any chance to compete in the National League Central, Milton is going to have to be radically different.

He was the poster boy for last year's woes. Signing him for $25.5 million over three years gave a lot of hope to the faithful in Redsland.

But Milton was hopeless from the beginning. By mid-June, he was 3-9 with a 7.20 ERA and the Reds were basically done for the year.

Milton ended up going 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA.

He led the majors in home runs allowed with 40 and led the NL in runs allowed with 141.

He had short stretches when he pitched well, including his last two starts.

He went a total of 14 innings, allowing three runs on 10 hits.

He was successful when he got his legs into his motion.

"I started using my legs," he said. "But now, I feel stronger. I feel like I can go back to what I was used to."

Milton isn't that far removed from success. He went 14-6 with Philadelphia in 2004. His ERA was 4.75, but he allowed only 196 hits and struck out 161 in 201 innings. Milton expects to be that guy again.

"I'm very confident," he said. "I threw off the mound the other day. I felt great. (Catcher Jason LaRue) said I was throwing like I did at the end of the season.

"He said it looked like I had never stopped throwing."

Milton has been driving up from Fort Myers on a regular basis recently to work with pitching coach Vern Ruhle. Ruhle has seen a difference.

"It's early," Ruhle said. "He's still trying to get in shape. But he's trying to get his legs into it more. That's the No. 1 thing. He's feeling better about his legs."

Because of his contract, Milton is assured a spot in the rotation. Again, if he's not better than last year, the Reds won't be much better.

"He's going to be pitching in the middle or the top of our rotation," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "It's a matter of being consistent. He's done it throughout his career."

Ruhle said Milton's work ethic gives him a chance.

"This guy is a total professional," Ruhle said. "Guys do amazing things. Guys come back from adversity. That's what makes our game special.

"Guys come back and have career years. You say, 'How did that happen?' A lot of it starts from within. Anything is possible."

Milton isn't looking for a miracle. He merely wants to be Eric Milton again.

"I don't want to go out and do what I did last year," he said. "That's not me. That's not what I've done throughout my career. I feel like I can do what I did in the past - double-digit wins, 200 innings."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...602180427/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton feels he has a leg up (2/18)

Fantastic...great to hear...

Last year was an anomaly...

There was definitely something wrong with his mechanics or his physics (no, it's not age).

Get that corrected and he can give this team an opportunity to win 25 of his 35 starts.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

"He's going to be pitching in the middle or the top of our rotation," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "It's a matter of being consistent. He's done it throughout his career."
    consistently bad.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Eric Milton... said... "I added weight."
    Maybe Jerry will send him home too.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I hope middle means 5th guy who gets skipped a lot.
    Go Gators!

Dan Obrien should never have another job in the Major Leagues do to this signing.Knowing Miltons track record for giving up the long ball.He just threw caution to the wind hoping Milton would pan out,and ignoring his stats altogether.I hope Milton does pan out and the Reds can at a sub 4 era and get 10 or 12 wins out of him,and thats asking for alot.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    He went 14-6 with Philadelphia in 2004. His ERA was 4.75, but he allowed only 196 hits and struck out 161 in 201 innings. Milton expects to be that guy again.
    Hey, I've slammed Milton and the contract Dan0 gave him plenty over the last year, but I'd be over-joyed if he could come near his '04 numbers. It wouldn't justify the contract, but if he has to be on the roster and in the rotation I'd take those numbers and run.

I'm not holding my breath though. I'm expecting only slight improvement over last season, but no one will be happier if he proves me wrong.

Yadda yadda. He was in camp working hard last spring. Working hard is not his problem, nor is attitude. He simply doesn't have the ability to consistently get out major league hitters.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he'd be inconsistent this year, as in every once in a while having a good outing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

got alil captain in u?

hopefully with rhules help he is alil better than last year

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Yadda yadda. He was in camp working hard last spring. Working hard is not his problem, nor is attitude. He simply doesn't have the ability to consistently get out major league hitters.

Honestly, I'd be happy if he'd be inconsistent this year, as in every once in a while having a good outing.
    In his defense, he has a different pitching coach... hopefully one that can truly help. Plus, if the leg really was a contributing factor, then I guess recognizing it and working on strengthing it is a step in the right direction.

I hope he makes us all eat crow this year; we'll have a big old sit-down dinner!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If he can put up '04 numbers the Reds could possibly have a 6 to 9 game positive turnaround (8-15 to 14-6). This in itself would make them a .500 team.

And if not...well I just save 15% on car insurance....

You gotta love it when spring, baseball, and hope collide.

Milton thinks to himself: I can do it! I can hit 94 again!

Eric throws.........

Yes, was that it?

Ruhle: Sorry Eric, you just hit 90 again......

Milton: doh!!!!!

Krivsky to himself(should we change the guns to make him think he can hit 94 while I fool a other team........hehehe)

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    There's your signature!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    My thoughts exactly.

I hope he improves at least enough to be tradeable.

Turn Off Ads?