Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Defense of Tony Womack (?)

In Defense of Tony Womack (?)

Yes, I was aggravated by this signing as much as the rest of you, but recently I've been trying to rationalize it. Since Castellini is a vet of the Cards organization, he perhaps had a good sense of Womack's intangibles before they made the move (and I really think DanO was following unofficial marching orders from new ownership when he did it).

The signing makes the most sense when we consider the track record of our incumbent lead-off hitter. I really think it's possible that the Reds signed Womack as insurance because Ryan P. Freel (as he is called on my CBS fantasy site) is a loose cannon. I mean, the Reds lineup is SO much better with that 40-steal threat at the top of the order. Lopez is dynamite out of the 2 spot, but not much at lead-off. Since Freel has a penchant for living recklessly, just like he plays, Womack makes more sense as an speedy and dependable (if patently unspectacular) veteran.

Don't get me wrong: I love Freel's intensity and commitment to sacrificing himself for the team. However, I'm not sure I'd really want to know him personally... or hang out with him off the field. I know he just got community service last time, but Freel clearly has a drinking problem and is a brawl waiting to happen (remember the run-in with D'Angelo Jimenez? Admittedly another prickley character, but it takes two to tangle). Combine this with his breakneck playing style, and there's not much likliehood Freel is going to play the whole year.

Though he doesn't do anything as well as Freel, Womack's intangibles as a veteran leader would be a good steadying force should disaster strike.
    What the Reds have against William Bergolla's overall skills is another question, but he certainly lacks experience as a lead-off hitter. Perhaps that's the insurance they want. Just in case.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Glenn Braggs

Re: In Defense of Tony Womack (?)

Even as a reserve player his .316 lifetime OBP doesn't cut it as a leadoff hitter. He even sunk to a Castro-like .276 with the Yankees last season.

I only see his value as a pinch runner, but that not actually worth a roster spot in my opinion.

Womack leading off makes my hair hurt.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

If Womack leads off the terrorists win.

If not Freel then Lopez.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If Womack leads off the terrorists win.

John (by God) Wayne would NEVER let Tony Womack lead off.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

I realize TW's bad on-base percentage makes him less attractive as a lead-off hitter. But doesn't it make sense to have another option behind Freel besides Bergolla? With his power, Lopez is simply more effective down in the line-up. And no one is responding to the other part of my argument, which is that there is more at play here than simply statistics. Freel's combustibility also plays a role.

After the 1st inning it really doesn't matter who is batting 1st, the 5th guy will end up leading off just as much as the 1st, we should put our best players high in the lineup.

IMO
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    I realize TW's bad on-base percentage makes him less attractive as a lead-off hitter. But doesn't it make sense to have another option behind Freel besides Bergolla? With his power, Lopez is simply more effective down in the line-up.
    Tony Womack was one of the one or two worst major league players in the league last year. My dead cat could get on base more and be more valuable then he can. I'll take Rich Aurillia (the HORROR!!!) over Tony Womack 7 days of the week (and twice on Sundays).

And no one is responding to the other part of my argument, which is that there is more at play here than simply statistics. Freel's combustibility also plays a role.

Freel should be at 2nd everyday he's healthy/not in the bighouse or whatever. If Freel can't go, play Rich (the Horror) Aurillia. Lopez leads off by default if Freel can't go. Rich (the Horror) never bats higher then 8th on the Raisor's team.

I'm adopting "Rich (the Horror) Aurillia"

Your royalty check is in the mail.
    Go Gators!

Glenn Braggs

If you consider speed a necessity for a leadoff hitter, Womack certainly is the only backup (infielder) to Freel. Otherwise you could start Aurillia as well. In a perfect world Denorfia could play the infield and fill in for Freel if necessary.

Also, Womack was somehow able to get on base at a .349 clip with the Cardinals in 2004. I hope the Reds carry "only" 11 pitchers, so it wouldn't matter as much to have him on the bench.

Sorry about your cat Raisor.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Sorry about your cat Raisor.

well, it was 20 years ago.

That makes Womack that much worse.

My current kitty is 18, but I think he'd probably get on base more then Womack too. Boots is a crafty vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    If you consider speed a necessity for a leadoff hitter, Womack certainly is the only backup (infielder) to Freel.
    What if you think speed is overrated on a team of sluggers?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'm adopting "Rich (the Horror) Aurillia"

Your royalty check is in the mail.

Once again, Raisor is the trend setter.

Puffy owes me about a million bucks at this point, since he steals my best lines.

I loath stealing lines.

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?