Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alford's Canned Response

Alford's Canned Response

“My entire focus and energy is helping my team win a Big Ten championship and get ready for the NCAA Tournament. That is my only concern,” Alford said.
    Any who heard him drone on in a teleconference with reporters in very Knight-esque fashion oughta be appreciating the effort the Golden Gophers are putting on right now, leading by 9 over Iowa early in the second half. Go Gophers!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alford's Canned Response

“My entire focus and energy is helping my team win a Big Ten championship and get ready for the NCAA Tournament. That is my only concern,” Alford said.
    There you go, Steve. You got Gophered.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Alford is despised by a lot of Iowa fans. They think he can't recruit and that he is a terrible X's & O's coach. Many would be happy to drive Steve to Bloomington and help him unpack. I'm not an Iowa fan and am glad to see him and his team get pounded.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Alford is despised by a lot of Iowa fans. They think he can't recruit and that he is a terrible X's & O's coach. Many would be happy to drive Steve to Bloomington and help him unpack. I'm not an Iowa fan and am glad to see him and his team get pounded.
    pompousity will make that rather difficult unless you have something other than an 80s hairdo to sell and "I was a great player when an offense was set up to get me open shots in my college career"

That team leading the Big 10 is a great mystery to me.

You guys hear about this yet?

Sources: Alford, Mizzou to meet; IU not interested
    Iowa coach Steve Alford, on the verge of being jilted by alma mater Indiana, is tentatively scheduled to meet with Missouri for an interview this week that could land Alford in the Big 12, multiple sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Tuesday night.

Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby confirmed to ESPN.com that Missouri athletic director Mike Alden called Tuesday, seeking permission to speak with Alford. Bowlsby granted the wish. Alford's contract pays him $800,000 through June 2009.

Meanwhile, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Indiana's search committee let Alford's representation know that the Hoosiers would only be bringing in two candidates and as of Tuesday Alford wasn't one of them.

Indiana is searching for a replacement for Mike Davis, who resigned last month but finished the season by coaching the Hoosiers into the NCAA Tournament second round before losing to Gonzaga in Salt Lake City. Missouri has been searching for a replacement for Quin Snyder since he was forced to resign last month. Snyder didn't finish the season and was replaced on an interim basis by assistant coach Melvin Watkins.

Alford coached the Hawkeyes to the Big Ten tournament title earlier this month. Iowa, seeded No. 3, lost to No. 14 Northwestern State on a corner 3-pointer with a second left in the NCAA Tournament first round in Auburn Hills, Mich. Iowa finished 11-5 in the Big Ten, tied for second with Illinois (25-9 overall).

Alford led the Hawkeyes to the NCAA Tournament in 2005 as well, losing to Cincinnati in the first round. Alford's Hawkeyes won the Big Ten tournament title in 2001, the other time the Hawkeyes went to the NCAA Tournament under Alford, beating Creighton in the first round, losing to Kentucky in the second. Alford led Iowa to six straight winning seasons and six consecutive postseasons in his seven years at the school. Prior to Iowa, Alford coached Southwest Missouri State (now Missouri State) to the Sweet 16 in 1999. Alford won the national title as a player at Indiana in 1987. He grew up playing for his father, Sam, at New Castle High (Ind.) before going to IU. He got his coaching start at Manchester College (Ind.).

If Alford isn't one of the two finalists for Indiana, that could mean one of the other two is Orlando Magic assistant Randy Wittman if the Hoosiers are going to invite one coach with strong Hoosiers ties. Wittman has expressed interest in the job and there are plenty of IU alumni working hard for his hire.

Meanwhile, Missouri's search has been kept mum the past month. Multiple sources say there has been strong influential booster support for former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, but Alden isn't in favor of the hire. Sources confirmed that representatives for Missouri have contacted the intermediaries for LSU's John Brady and Pitt's Jamie Dixon to test their interest. Another source said Creighton's Dana Altman is a strong choice for Missouri and might be interviewed as well. A source said Missouri has also had interest in UAB's Mike Anderson.

Missouri has been looking for a coach that has a clean record with the NCAA after the school had violations under Snyder.
    VERY interesting. So who are IU's two that they want to go after?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I can't imagine a scenario where they would go after Huggins such a short time after the Bobby Knight saga. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd go after Tom Crean if I were them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I hear ya...but why do you supposed IU has no interest in Alford?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I hear ya...but why do you supposed IU has no interest in Alford?
    Because he isn't that good of a coach, his record is no better than Mike Davis.

If Huggs ends up at Mizzou, he's got the support of the Laurie famly who are the biggest donors, he would build a friggin powerhouse.

I think Alford's smart to get out of the Big Ten.

If hindsight was 20/20, he's probably would have never taken the Iowa job.

These names that Missouri's tossing out - Altman, Brady, Dixon, etc. are just insane. One could argue that taking the Mizzou job would be step DOWN.

Dana Altman's an absolute underrated coach. He just happened to have Kansas State when Mitch Richmond was there.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I can't imagine a scenario where they would go after Huggins such a short time after the Bobby Knight saga. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd go after Tom Crean if I were them.
    I think its the Missouri boosters that are interested in Huggins. I don't think IU is interested in him. At least I hope not, I might have to not hate IU if Huggins is there.

Yeah, but wouldn't Huggins at IU make for some interesting stuff in the Big Ten? It would escalate the IU/OSU rivalry, too.

I heard about the Mizzou job too re Alford and Huggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

A lot of IU fans seem to think that it is down to Billy Gillispie, Tom Crean and Randy Wittman.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Yeah, but wouldn't Huggins at IU make for some interesting stuff in the Big Ten? It would escalate the IU/OSU rivalry, too.
    Yea, see there would be my dilemma. I would have to root for Huggins to kick OSU's butt since they wouldn't play him when he was at UC, but still there is this hatred of all things from that school in the southern part of the state that all Purdue grads have to adhere to. Thankfully, he probably won't be going there. (IU fans, I'm just kidding here, its just a severe dislike )

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    I think its the Missouri boosters that are interested in Huggins. I don't think IU is interested in him. At least I hope not, I might have to not hate IU if Huggins is there.
    Ah, that makes more sense. I actually think Hugs would be a decent fit at Mizzou.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?