Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening day festivities...need advice

opening day festivities...need advice

this will be my very first opening day in cincy...i've seen pictures of the parades on tv, but can't really judge how crazy it truly gets...i'll probably be staying at the westin or hyatt...if i'm driving into town early that morning, will i be able to get to my hotel? should i get a room in kentucky instead? i'm worried about road closures downtown...

what can i expect on opening day before the game? i'll have my father with me, who is almost 70 years old and has some aches and pains when it comes to walking, so i'm a little concerned for him...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: opening day festivities...need advise

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    this will be my very first opening day in cincy...i've seen pictures of the parades on tv, but can't really judge how crazy it truly gets...i'll probably be staying at the westin or hyatt...if i'm driving into town early that morning, will i be able to get to my hotel? should i get a room in kentucky instead? i'm worried about road closures downtown...

what can i expect on opening day before the game? i'll have my father with me, who is almost 70 years old and has some aches and pains when it comes to walking, so i'm a little concerned for him...
    Is there a reason why you will not be staying Sunday night at the Westin or Hyatt? Because, it will be pretty hard to get to those places (you can) Monday morning because of the street closures. As far as walking, that might be a problem only because of the incline of the streets - but it's not that far of a walk. You could drop your Dad off w/the car and then park it back at the hotel and then do the same after the game. Usually, the Enquirer posts the street closures either Sunday's paper or Monday's paper.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 17-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

RIC - this link is from last year's OD - Some things might change but this will give you a idea of what to expect...

http://www.wcpo.com/specials/annual/...arking2005.pdf
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

kitty,
    thanks very much for the link...that's exactly what i was looking for...my dad has been with me to cincy games before, so we know what to expect regarding the street inclines...we've just never been there for a sold out game before (let alone opening day), especially with all the pregame activities...more worried about him getting trampled on than anything...hoping he doesn't get to nervous to go...

looks like a sunday night stay will definately be required...thanks again for your help as always...

I parked in the Westin garage last year and had no problem getting there.

I came in from I-71, thru the tunnel, and turned up Vine right to the Westin. Though if you're coming from Chicago, I'd assume you'll be arriving via I-75 so the route would be a tad different. I'm pretty sure streets to hotels are kept open to hotel traffic only. I'd suggest calling the hotel and explaining your concerns/potential problems. I'm sure they'll have helpful advice to offer.

You can watch the parade right in front of the hotel (5th street side); throw in a lawn chair and your Dad will be all set.

You could take a cab back and forth from the game. I have no idea how much it would cost but it can't be too bad.

Last year, some people we met stayed at Vernon Manor (up by the UC campus); they have a shuttle to/from downtown and the GAB.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 02-18-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I'm guessing the hotel might have shuttles. Call and ask them.

If you stay on the Kentucky side in Covington or Newport, there are shuttle busses that run every 20 or 30 minutes that aren't too pricey. The one that goes by the hotels will drop you off at GABP and will pick you up in the same area after the game.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Don't stay at the econo lodge in Newport

Ask RBA why
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Don't stay at the econo lodge in Newport

Ask RBA why
    He left it a much better place, tho...

Anyone want to try for a little RedsZone Opening Day Meet and Greet.

Especially since a lot of people who can't/don't make the Gatherings will be in for the game.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    If you stay on the Kentucky side in Covington or Newport, there are shuttle busses that run every 20 or 30 minutes that aren't too pricey. The one that goes by the hotels will drop you off at GABP and will pick you up in the same area after the game.
    But that won't get them to the parade without a lot of walking.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I've gone down to the Westin around 9:00 or so and sat in their second-floor restaurant for breakfast and drinks. The parade passes right below you on Fifth Street, and you're nice and warm up above. Afterwards it's a short walk to the park.

That said, this year Fountain Square is completely torn up, and portions of Fifth Street will be closed for some part of the year. You may want to double-check when that will happen, as the parade route may have to change as a result.
    Makes all the routine posts.

New Parade Route for Findlay Market Opening Day Parade
    The 87th Findlay Market Opening day Parade will take place on Monday, April 3, 2006. Due to Fountain Square construction, the parade route has been changed. The route is as follows:
    The parade begins at the Race street entrance of Findlay market and proceeds south on Race Street to Central Parkway. It bears east (left) on Central Parkway to Main Street. It turns south (right) on Main Street and proceeds to Fifth Street. It turns east (left) on Fifth Street and ends at Broadway.
    Check back for information updates. The Findlay Market Opening Day Parade celebrates the return of Spring, beginning of baseball season and the revitalization of Findlay Market and Cincinnati. The parade is presented by the Findlay Market Merchants Association. The 2006 Parade Chairman is Neil Luken. Co-chairmen are Jeff Gibbs and Kevin Luken. For more information about entering a float in the parade, contact Neil Luken, proprietor of Charles Bare Meats at 721.6533.

Some year we are going to have to have a RedsZone float in the parade.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Some year we are going to have to have a RedsZone float in the parade.
    Yep, but only 10 of us.

The float will be covered in numbers, symbolizing our vast love of them. The people aboard the float will be blindfolded in recognition of the fact that we do not watch games.

:
    Last edited by Redsland; 02-19-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Re: opening day festivities...need advice

We will also have a statue of Raisor on it
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?