Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds--Dodgers Trade Proposal

Reds--Dodgers Trade Proposal

Throwing out that first day spring training proposal:

Reds trade lb/OF Adam Dunn and LHP Eric Milton to the Dodgers for LHP Odalis Perez, RHP Chad Billingsley and lst baseman Heep Soo Choi.

Reds advantage: [B]Trading Dunn would be painful especially after just locking him up. But Billingsley (one of the top pitching prospects in baseball) gives the Reds a potential number 1 or two starter down the road. Choi is still young enough to adjust...especially with Chris Chambliss working with him. Plus, playing at GAB will be more of an advantage for Choi than Dodger Stadium. Milton and Perez is basically a change of scenery. Milton's style is ill-suited for pitching in GAB and Dodger Stadium is more suited for flyball pitchers. Perez made critical comments last year and the Dodgers don't want any disruptions in the clubhouse and still have in on the block.

Dodgers: One thing the Dodgers are missing a LF with some pop in the bat. Dunn gives them that lefthanded hitter that they can bat between Jeff Kent and Nomar Garciaparra. His contract is affordable the next two years and the Dodgers have the resources to sign him to a longterm deal. Trading Billingsley hurts but hitters like Dunn don't come along that often with the contract he is signed to. They might not be thrilled with Milton but they know Perez needs to go.
    [/B]
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds--Dodgers Trade Proposal

Not enough coming back our way for Dunn.
    Go Gators!

Take away Dunn, Billingsley and Choi from the deal and you might have something.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Not enough coming back our way for Dunn.
    Teams will look at Dunn's numbers in regards to hitting lefthanders and ask why they should give up more.

blech.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Good Lord no.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Good Lord no.
    Let's make it simple: Dunn to LA for RHPs Billingsley and Broxton.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Good Lord no.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Teams will look at Dunn's numbers in regards to hitting lefthanders and ask why they should give up more.

3 year splits of an .801 OPS aren't that bad.

Krusty, I really don't mean to be rude but you've been pimping some version of this trade forever. I have no idea how many threads you've started on the subject, but I'm guessing it is at least 5 and possibly as many 15. I'm OK with you posting you're crazy (IMO) trade ideas but honestly I think it's time for a new idea that doesn't include some variation of Adam Dunn for Odalis Perez.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For what it's worth, on XM the other day, they had a guy from BA on who basically said Billingsley is the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. He said that he is NOT a #1 overall type guy, but rather a consistent solid #2 who knows how to use his stuff in the Mike Mussina mold. I know people on this board aren't so optimisitic about him.

That said, while I have been an Odalis Perez fan in the past, there's no way I'd want him and Choi as the additional talent in a Dunn deal. Choi is a platoon guy at best and Perez, while a solid #3/4 type guy, isn't what we need to turn things around.

IMO, you don't trade players like Dunn for prospects who may never actually succeed in the majors. Especially ones that, no matter how good they seem now, are still at least a couple of years from the majors.

Horrible deal for the Reds.

I want rid of Milton badly, but I don't want to give Dunn away just to rid ourselves of Milton.

I want to hold on to Milton. Maybe, just maybe he can turn it around and have a career year. If so we could trade him at the deadline to a contending team and get prospect to help us win in the future. He has no value at this point so why can't I dream/hallucinate

Man Pills

Trading away Dunn to rid the Reds of Milton is like sawing your left leg off to extricate your right arm.

Cut Milton before sending along a player whose value at this point dwarfs his contract.

I made this same proposal a long time ago -- but in the context that the Reds would have made the determination that Dunn was unsignable. Now that he is signed, I wouldn't even think about trading him for at least another year. And, assuming he continues to perform, they should only consider trading him after they'd determined they couldn't extend him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?