Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trip to Chicago and Cincinnati

Trip to Chicago and Cincinnati

My girlfriend and I are planning to go on a road trip this summer. We're going to Chicago to visit her family and look around at grad schools for me. While we're there, we're also gonna see a couple games in the May 29-31st series against the Cubs. After that, we'll be heading up to Cincinnati to see one or two games in the June 8-11th series. Right now we're planning on staying at the Terrace Hotel - Cincinnati, which doesn't sound great but looks cheap, and its only 7 blocks away from GAB. I've only been to one game at GAB and I think I sat up in the 520s somewhere, which had a pretty good view, so I figure we'll try for that or the 420s.

I'm not sure how long we're going to be there for yet, but what kinds of things are there to do in Cincy? I know there's a huge art museum and I think some kind of science or natural history museum somewhere. Anything else we should visit for sure?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Trip to Chicago and Cincinnati

pahster - try this thread from the FAQ - there are also thinks to other threads.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31267
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Thanks!

Hmmmm, where is the Terrace Hotel? I've never heard of it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    pahster - try this thread from the FAQ - there are also thinks to other threads.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31267
    I just read this for the first time and saw a few things that were never mentioned, even though they're downtown or close to downtown.

Nightlife:
    -Main Street entertainment district begins around 12th Street (always fun, IMHO).
    -Havanna Martini Club (5th or 6th street somewhere between Walnut and Main).
    - Mount Adams

Before/after the game:

- The In-Between Tavern... right across the street from the GAB.
    - the sports bar where they broadcast from after the game (right down the street from the GAB); for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.
    -And isn't there an O'Malley's sports bar or something like that tucked into an alley off Vine (between 3rd and 4th streets)?

Eats (I left out fancy places like Ruby's, Palm Court, Jean-Robert's):
    - Lots of places around the Arnoff Theater (Walnut St between 5th and 6th)... Bella, Bennihanna, Peterson's, Uno's, Nicholson's
    - Mount Adams
    - Carol's on Main (around 10th Street I think)
    - Bistro on Elm
    - Main Street Diner (9th and Main)
    - Champs (in the Hyatt)
    - Redfish Cajun' Grille (Race and about 9th Street)
    - First Watch
    - Hamburger Mary's (Vine and 9th)
    - Margarita's (Carew Tower, 4th between Vine and Race)
    - Palimino (Macy's building on Vine; overlooks Fountain Square)
    - There are a lot, just keep walking around, plus there's a food court in Carew Tower (ground level)... across Vine from the Westin.

Museums (I'm not as up on these as I should be, but I visited all these in addition to the Contemporary Arts Center and have found them all to be exceptional); there are others too:
    - Taft Museum
    - Union Terminal (lots of different ones there, plus an Omnimax Theater)
    - Galleries in Over-the-Rhine (though I'd suggest exploring these earlier in the day)
    - Art Museum in Mount Adams (along with Playhouse in the Park)
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 02-19-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by pahster
    My girlfriend and I are planning to go on a road trip this summer. We're going to Chicago to visit her family and look around at grad schools for me. While we're there, we're also gonna see a couple games in the May 29-31st series against the Cubs. After that, we'll be heading up to Cincinnati to see one or two games in the June 8-11th series. Right now we're planning on staying at the Terrace Hotel - Cincinnati, which doesn't sound great but looks cheap, and its only 7 blocks away from GAB. I've only been to one game at GAB and I think I sat up in the 520s somewhere, which had a pretty good view, so I figure we'll try for that or the 420s.

I'm not sure how long we're going to be there for yet, but what kinds of things are there to do in Cincy? I know there's a huge art museum and I think some kind of science or natural history museum somewhere. Anything else we should visit for sure?
    TB provided a pretty good rundown so that's not a bad list to start from. Heck, one of the options for the Gathering weekend is that June 8-11th series against the Cubs so there could be quite a few RZers hitting the town that same weekend.

Not sure what kind of nightlife you prefer, but my two favs are Mt. Adams and Newport. Newport is very easy for folks coming in from out of town as it's literally just a walk across the bridge from the stadium. Mt. Adams would be about a five minute cab ride (you'd get lost if you tried to drive there yourself in the dark if you're not familiar with the area).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    - the sports bar where they broadcast from after the game (right down the street from the GAB); for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.
    That'd be Gameday (btw, they had dollar drafts at Gameday before all Reds games last season and I'm hoping that remains the same this season).
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

TB,

The Terrace used to be the Terrace Hilton. Sixth street, by the Cincinnatian.

Also, the Havana Martini Club is closed temporarily and is moving to a new location in Tower Place.

Also, Carol's has closed. There's a place called Union Station there now.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    That'd be Gameday (btw, they had dollar drafts at Gameday before all Reds games last season and I'm hoping that remains the same this season).
    Thank you; I drew a total blank. I absolutely love that place.

Here a link to bars and clubs in the downtown/northern KY area:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/bargu...cation=Central

And downtown restaurants:

http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/r...T=All+Cuisines

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    TB,

The Terrace used to be the Terrace Hilton. Sixth street, by the Cincinnatian.

Also, the Havana Martini Club is closed temporarily and is moving to a new location in Tower Place.

Also, Carol's has closed. There's a place called Union Station there now.
    Wow, thanks for the update. I'm disappointed that Carol's is closed... I liked the menu; it was different.

Maybe you can help me out on this one. I went to a place a couple times several years ago that I liked a whole lot but can't remember what it was called. It was on Main, I think, and the name of the place was actually the street number (i.e., 902's). It was a really decent place to eat (similar to Nicholson's) and was a former police station. Well, I haven't been able to find it in awhile and just wondered if it's still there and I'm missing it!

TB,

That restaurant doesn't ring a bell. There's a place called 915 in Ft. Thomas, though, and The Precinct in the Tusculum area is in an old police station.

Way, way, waaay back in the day, there was a place downtown called the Last National Bank, and it was in an old bank, sort of like Teller's in Hyde Park.

That's all I've got though. Sorry!
    Makes all the routine posts.

Thanks... I haven't run into anyone who knows what I'm talking about. That's probably why it closed!

Seems like it was Station _ _ _ or something like that. Anyway, it was cool.

Definitely not The Presinct (what a great place) and The Boat House too.

We probably need to update the FAQs because some of the information is not up to date...
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Here's the official guide to Cincinnati...

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/

Turn Off Ads?