Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Ken Griffey Sr.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Q&A: Ken Griffey Sr.

Several board members have asked me to do a Q&A with Ken Griffey Sr. Ken is a GREAT interview and has some great baseball stories. (His Rickey Henderson stories are my personal faves)

Please submit your questions on this thread. I will pick roughly 10 to ask him within the next week to ten days and will post his replies.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Q&A: Ken Griffey Sr.

Ask him if he has any Pedro Borbon stories. I've heard some from other ex-Reds and they are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    Ask him if he has any Pedro Borbon stories. I've heard some from other ex-Reds and they are hilarious.
    Like the time he left his dog in his apartment on a road trip to New York and was evicted when he returned? A friend was supposed to be watching the dog, but took the money that Borbon left him, dumped a 25 lb bag of food in the floor and left. The apartment was a shambles. Borbon is a funny and very unconventional character, and is still, a little bit scary.

WAGS

would you ever be interested in taking the coaching job for the reds if it ever came availible?

do you think pete deserves to be in the hall?

How difficult is it to coach or manage your son at the ML level?

What is your favorite memory as a baseball player? As a Cincinnati Red?

Was it you that helped Griffey Jr. out of his slump early on last season or was it that incredible analysis Harold Reynolds had on his swing from Baseball Tonight?

Was it you that helped Griffey Jr. out of his slump early on last season or was it that incredible analysis Harold Reynolds had on his swing from Baseball Tonight?

That was good analysis by HR, wasn't it!?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It's been 30 years this year, so could you finally give a solid answer to the question that many of us still wonder...did you ask out of the lineup on the last day of 1976 with the batting title on the line, or were you kept out of the lineup by Sparky Anderson?

Please no Pete Rose and the HOF questions. Would he rather manage or work the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    It's been 30 years this year, so could you finally give a solid answer to the question that many of us still wonder...did you ask out of the lineup on the last day of 1976 with the batting title on the line, or were you kept out of the lineup by Sparky Anderson?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If a guy goes 4 for 4, or 4 for 5 the last game of the season, he deserves the batting title. He won it out right.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I would like to ask Sr. if he knew 4 years ago, what he knows now about Jr.'s injuries, would he have suggested to Jr. to move to first base full time. If Jr. would have moved to 1st four years ago, he would still have a chance at the all time home run record, and would not have two bolts in his hamstring.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I'm aware of the official word on it, but at Reds Dream Week several of the players there told a different story. They said that Griffey's name was posted on the lineup card in the clubhouse and an hour before the game, Griffey & Sparky met, Griffey came out, talked to Pete Rose & Joe Morgan who went into Sparky's office and heated conversation occurred. After that, Griffey was called back in and came out a few minutes later telling teammates he had just been given a gag order by Sparky. I'd love to know how it played out in that office!

I'd love to know how it played out in that office!
    That would be a Baseball Rashomon for sure.

whither kurosawa.

Turn Off Ads?