Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: RUMOR - RUMOR: Kearns' possible destination

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: RUMOR - RUMOR: Kearns' possible destination

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    This is all just quibbling. If Zito isn't top-10, he's pretty damn close.

When do you try to win? When do you stop waiting for Kearns? How far does a pitcher have to be from free agency to make it worth it?

If you can get a pitcher like Zito (and a prospect, according to the rumor ... don't forget that) for Kearns, Encarnacion and a low-level pitching prospect, you do it every time. You open up the checkbook and give him big money. He's as close to a sure thing as there is. If you're not going to pay for him, what will you ever pay for?
    We opened up the wallet 2 offseasons ago for a number of pitchers and the only one who took our money was Eric Milton. It's not just offering the highest dollar amount. We can all argue about it, but if you really think that having Zito on board for 1 year gives a real legitimate chance to sign him when he hits free agency and gets offers from the Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, etc., then fine, it makes sense to do the deal. But personally I think we have a snowball's chance in hell to sign him, whether we have him on board for a year or just pursue him in free agency like everybody else.

He's a legit ace and would greatly improve our staff. However, it is not worth Kearns, EE, and Bailey just to have him for 1 year before we have to compete with everybody else for him in FA. That just doesn't make good sense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Probably a slight upgrage????

Have you seen our starting rotation recently???
    Yeah I've seen it. Have you looked up Sabathia's numbers? I did this morning, absolutely nothing jumpos out at me.

No doubt Sabathia upgrades our rotation but that's some damning praise right there. He is a "name" guy because he burst on the scene at a young age and has some decent but not outstanding K numbers. There are lots of guys out there that may not have his catchy name but have identical numbers that we could probably get cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Yeah I've seen it. Have you looked up Sabathia's numbers? I did this morning, absolutely nothing jumpos out at me.

No doubt Sabathia upgrades our rotation but that's some damning praise right there. He is a "name" guy because he burst on the scene at a young age and has some decent but not outstanding K numbers. There are lots of guys out there that may not have his catchy name but have identical numbers that we could probably get cheaper.
    But do those guys have hot girlfriends like C.C. does, Jay? That's the truly vexing question here.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Probably a slight upgrage????

Have you seen our starting rotation recently???
    People said the same about Milton, "He's an upgrade"!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    But do those guys have hot girlfriends like C.C. does, Jay? That's the truly vexing question here.

Haha true, I forgot to take that into account. Can we trade for her and have him stay in Cleveland?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    People said the same about Milton, "He's an upgrade"!
    There's a pretty big difference between C.C and Milton. Sabathia may be overrated, but he would still be our second best pitcher easily.

I don't think Kearns is going anywhere. I honestly think we'll see Kearns get one last shot as a Red. I think that this is his year to prove whether or not he's going to be involved in the long term plans or not.

Turn Off Ads?