Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR - RUMOR: Kearns' possible destination

Re: RUMOR - RUMOR: Kearns' possible destination

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    I'd much rather live with Womack and Aurilia with an actual "difference making" starting pitcher, then keep the status quo. Any deal that nets us ACTUAL above-average starting pitchers is a good deal.
    Not if EE is included. Guys like him don't grow on tree's. How undervalued he is now and how missed he would be if let go.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    I have no idea if it is true.....that's why they call it a rumor. I said I almost didn't post it because I had my doubts. Sorry if you don't like the info....I said early on, many of you might not want to even bother reading it.
    I think you should have trusted your first instinct
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

There's no harm in floating a rumor.

ril's shown himself to have a few bugs hidden in a few planters. And it's interesting to "know" who's being talked about and what their preceived value is. On both sides.

The health issue will scuttle this one, but at least we "know" what the FO is up to. Impact pitching is being sought at this very moment. EE's available. So is Bailey. I think all of that is interesting and fodder for discussion.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Hmmm...I'm thinking the Angels and Dodgers have too much wealth in the youth department to trade a difference maker for youth. The Padres might take that package for Peavy...and that package has the sounds of a possible deal for Zito.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

After rereading, another interesting thing I notice is that Denorfia would fill the hole in the lineup (in RF) rather than Hatteberg (at 1B). Recall that last week the press was saying Denorfia would probably be headed to Louisville. So apparently if we add pitching, we're going with youth over vets.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Ok, say it's the Padres and that deal is on the table for Peavy, Josh Barfield and a PTNL?

I might do that.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    My source has heard this from one of HIS sources, so it is at least third hand....it is so iffy in terms of a RUMOR that I almost didn't post it......so some of you more informed may want to read no further....but here it is.

Apparently there is the framework of a deal in place, which is dependent upon the ST health of several players (who are not in the trade) that would have the Reds make a multi-player deal with an unknown AL West team.

The Reds would send Kearns, Homer Bailey and Edwin Encarnacion to this unidentified AL West team for a "difference maker" starting pitcher, a 2B prospect and a PTBNL.

I am not saying I like this or that it makes any sense, I am just passing along what my source told me.

Apparently, the two players on the Reds who have to show they are "healthy" are Paul Wilson and Eric Milton. My source says that someone very very high up in the Reds believes that if Wilson and Milton can show they can produce around 200 innings a piece, then this higher up person believes that adding a "difference maker" pitcher could make the Reds competitive (I hate that word).

The other part of this is that if Kearns is traded, Dunn will stay at 1B and Denorfia will become the starting RF.
    I can't see this at all. Trading EdE would be a huge mistake and I am not in favor of trading Bailey or Kearns either. I hope it's just a rumor.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The Reds would send Kearns, Homer Bailey and Edwin Encarnacion to this unidentified AL West team for a "difference maker" starting pitcher, a 2B prospect and a PTBNL.
    Teams don't not dig themselves out of holes quickly by trading 3 players, whom they control for a few more years for prospects and a starting pitcher.

I'd much rather live with Womack and Aurilia with an actual "difference making" starting pitcher, then keep the status quo. Any deal that nets us ACTUAL above-average starting pitchers is a good deal.
    Couldn't disagree more, Womack and Aurilia will be collecting their pension when EE is still playing, any starter for that package would be more magic beans than cow.

All I know is if we are giving up Kearns, and are #1 and #2 prospects, we better be getting a 100% sure difference making pitcher, and a helluva 2nd base prospect.

Wait, I guessed the Padres and then realized the rumor involved an AL West team. It could be Zito and Kevin Melillo. I'm afraid I'd do it unless something better is offered. The Reds can develop outfielders. The Reds can develop third basemen. They can't develop starting pitchers, especially those of Zito's quality. Bailey might buck the trend, but history is against him developing.

If Zito is on the move, Beane will surely want a team's top starting prospect. I'm not sure Bailey is "major league ready" enough to fit his formula.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

If Milton can work 200+ innings there's no telling how many HRs he can give up.

Man Pills

I doubt that there's anything to this. But I'd gladly surrender Bailey, Kearns and Encarnacion for an ace--even one in his late 20s, early 30s. I know everyone's jazzed about jettisoning the front office--but I'm more stoked by the notion of chucking the old players. With the exception of someone like Dunn, offense grows on trees. If you're not a total idiot, you can field a contending offense year in and year out.

Good lord, this sounds like a dream come true. Nevertheless, a dream.

If you're not a total idiot, you can field a contending offense year in and year out.
    That's true but world class 3rd basemen don't grow on trees and have eluded the Reds almost as regularly as pitching has.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Wait, I guessed the Padres and then realized the rumor involved an AL West team. It could be Zito and Kevin Melillo. I'm afraid I'd do it unless something better is offered. The Reds can develop outfielders. The Reds can develop third basemen. They can't develop starting pitchers, especially those of Zito's quality. Bailey might buck the trend, but history is against him developing.

If Zito is on the move, Beane will surely want a team's top starting prospect. I'm not sure Bailey is "major league ready" enough to fit his formula.
    Very good point.

Wait, if this did go down what would happen to the lineup? Would Freel go over to 3rd? Or would RA go to 3rd and Freel, Womack, and the prospect battle it out at 2nd? Who would bat 4th?

To be complete honest with you this trade seems more fantasy, then reality. It just seems wierd trading Kearns, and your 2 best prospects in the same deal. I am not saying it would be a bad deal, just soemthing you don't see all the time.

Turn Off Ads?