Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Old Lefthander to Be More Involved in 2006

The Old Lefthander to Be More Involved in 2006

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...edssights.html

I'm very surprised I had not seen this anywhere yet. If it's buried inside of a thread, please lock this up but I looked all over the current threads and did not see it.

BCast has talked to Joe and asked him to get more involved. It makes it seem more and more likely that Nuxhall was right when he said he was run out a little bit before he wanted to be.

The article said he will be doing about 30 games this year which is a lot more than last year. It said he will probably even do a few road trips.

I for one, love this decision. We all know Joe isn't the best with words, and doesn't always keep track of everything, but he's a Cincinnati legend and the emotion he brings to the game is what I love about him. I really have missed hearing him with Marty. Don't get me wrong, Steve Stewart has done a decent job but he just doesn't get into a game like Joe does.

I can't wait to tune and hear Nuxey's voice a little bit more this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Old Lefthander to Be More Involved in 2006

I am not in favor of this...If he comes back I hope he simply adds a story or two bout the good old days and leaves the announcing to Marty and Steve.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

How can you not be in favor of this?

Quote Originally Posted by adampad
    Like watching a ball player after their time is up...You still appreciate what the guy did but it's sad to see them...same thing for me with Joe...his time to leave was probably about 5 years ago...the last 5 years he was in the booth was horrible to listen to.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'm glad. Last year, I listened to some of the games he did instead of watching the tv broadcast.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by adampad
    He's a legend but he's not a PBP guy anymore and hasn't been for years.

Like continuing to run an aged player who can't hit out in the cleanup spot.

Don't care for this at all, I fear Steve is gonna leave, unless (hopefully) Marty takes those 30 games off for Joe.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He's a legend but he's not a PBP guy anymore and hasn't been for years.

Like continuing to run an aged player who can't hit out in the cleanup spot.

Don't care for this at all, I fear Steve is gonna leave, unless (hopefully) Marty takes those 30 games off for Joe.
    My concern as well...I really like Steve and if he leaves I hope the Reds go after Paul Keals (spelling) the play by play guy for Ohio State Football/Basketball.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I would like to hear SS do the play by play, and Marty/Joe do all the other stuff.

Go Redlegs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...edssights.html

The article said he will be doing about 30 games this year which is a lot more than last year. It said he will probably even do a few road trips.

Awesome!!! I know he isnt what he was, but darnit, its Nuxie!!!!

Good news.
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Nuxie or no, I prefer to actually hear what's happening on the field... no lapse in the commentary, no erroneous reports, forgotten names, etc.

I love Joe, but he doesn't do it for me anymore. My main interest is the game; when I can't figure out what's happening because of poor commentary, I get very angry.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Baseball radio positions are the gold standard for sports broadcasters. I doubt you'd see someone like Steve Stewart voluntarily leave the position unless he had something else already lined up at another team.

Personally, I can take Steve or leave him. I don't think he brings anything spectacular to the table, and I'd place his VORB at 0. He's not offensive to the ears (see: Sterling, John -- who can shove that "Thaaaaa Yahnkees win!" someplace painful) or annoyingly stupid (see: Johannsen, Brad -- whenever I listen to a Bengals game, I just hear that line from Billy Madison in my mind: "We are all dumber for having listened to that") but I don't think he's particularly amazing either.

But, that's just my take.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I like Steve really well...of the 5 or 6 the team was considering he is far and away the best of the lot...additionally if you ever heard a Clippers Baseball game or for that matter a Buckeyes football game prior up until about 5 years ago...they were horrible...a guy named Terry ????? Can't think of the last name...he left OSU to gowork with the Angels several years ago....so bad I wanted to throw him a party when he was signing off for the last time.

Marty and Joe in their prime...AWESOME...joe and Marty rehashing stuff they don't really care about anymore...PATHETIC!

I love Steve. He paints the picture, tells the story as it unfolds, and doesn't get sidetracked... unless Marty steers him away, and even then, Steve's quite adept at unobtrusively bringing it back on track.

He's a saint for being able to work with Marty as well as he does. He's handled a lot of awkward situations with style.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I would like to see all three of them in the booth. Who said there could be only two in there. I really don't care for Joe doing play by play, anymore. Too many prolonged silences, balls hit to left right center, general confusion. I love Joe, but he needs to be color only. I listen to most of the games, and I just don't think I could stand to listen to 30 games of Joe. He is like putting on the old pair of sneakers, that fit really well, don't look so good, annoy you because they cause your legs to hurt, and smell kind of funny.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I love Steve. He paints the picture, tells the story as it unfolds, and doesn't get sidetracked... unless Marty steers him away, and even then, Steve's quite adept at unobtrusively bringing it back on track.

He's a saint for being able to work with Marty as well as he does. He's handled a lot of awkward situations with style.
    Agreed. 100%.

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?