Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Bonds retiring after this season. Get your Giants game tickets now!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Barry Bonds retiring after this season. Get your Giants game tickets now!

Just read it on espn.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Bonds retiring after this season. Get your Giants game tickets now!

Call me skeptical, but if he finishes within 15 of 755 he'll be back.
    Go Gators!

Krono, I was thinking the same thing, but I just dont think he gets close. I dont know if he can stay healthy with the knee problems and well, he is quite old. I dont see anyway he can stay healthy enough to hit 30 home runs, much less enough to give serious consideration to come back and take a run at Aaron.

After sitting out most of last season, Barry Bonds tells USA Today he's finished after '06 -- regardless of whether he hits 48 homers to break Hank Aaron's all-time home run record. "I'm not playing baseball anymore after this," he said.
    "This" could mean anything.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Krono, I was thinking the same thing, but I just dont think he gets close. I dont know if he can stay healthy with the knee problems and well, he is quite old. I dont see anyway he can stay healthy enough to hit 30 home runs, much less enough to give serious consideration to come back and take a run at Aaron.
    It wouldn't suprise me if he passed Aaron this season.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Really Jpup? He would need 47 home runs, at age 42. He has hit that many home runs in a season twice before. Not to mention that he is going to be 35 pounds lighter than last year to better "serve his knee". I guess thats my POv, what makes you think he can do it?

He would need 47 home runs, at age 42.
    This should read, "He would need 47 home runs, at age 42, and off the juice".
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Creek, Barry wasnt on the juice, he was on "the cream", or HGH.

The "juice" was in the "cream" I'm sure.

This could be a real possibility even if he doesn't set the home run record. None of knows the amount of pain he is in from all of the knee surgeries and all the steriods would only make his knee problems worse. There has been a shart decline in his range over the last couple of years and I can't really see him wanting to finish up in the american league unless the Yankees would want him to be a permanent DH. But the yankees already have about 3 players that should only DH and not play the field.

I hope he is true to his word... and I hope he doesn't even pass Ruth.

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya, Barry.

I think passing the Babe is a given unless his knee does a total meltdown.
    If he passes Aaron, I, although I loathe him, will be very impressed.

Really Jpup? He would need 47 home runs, at age 42. He has hit that many home runs in a season twice before. Not to mention that he is going to be 35 pounds lighter than last year to better "serve his knee". I guess thats my POv, what makes you think he can do it?
    Actually I heard yesterday that he hadn't lost any weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Chip, I just based that off comments make in the offseason that he wanted to lose 35-40 pounds to help his knee. That was his offseason plan. I havent heard anything really though since November about his body weight.

You guys really buying this knee stuff, still? Come on. His knees get too bad to play on the first year they start some real drug testing. Then he says he is going to be 30-40 pounds lighter to help the knees? OK Barry whatever you say, more like he has lost all that weight since he is off the juice. No way he even sniffs Aaron this season and yeah I would count on him back in 2007. If he does get close this year, then I really dont see pitchers pitching to him at all. I mean even less than usual.

Turn Off Ads?