Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatcher to be named 1st base coach, no WBC for Felipe

1990 Hero Returns as 1st Base Coach

Per Marc

Hatcher gets the call

SARASOTA -- From talking with Jerry Narron around noon today, I got the feeling Billy Hatcher was the choice for the first base coaching job. And now it's official. Hatcher replaces John Moses, who resigned last week, and is expected to be in uniform tomorrow.

The former Reds outfielder spent the last eight seasons on the Devil Rays' staff, including stints as the first base coach (1998-99, 2003-05), third base coach (2000) and bench coach (2001-02). Before that, Hatcher spent two seasons with Tampa Bay as a minor league instructor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1990 Hero Returns as 1st Base Coach

While he's a former Red, at least he's been in another organization for awhile, even if it's the Rays.

Sorta new blood
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Hatcher to be named 1st base coach, no WBC for Felipe

Marc's blog

SARASOTA -- From talking with Jerry Narron around noon today, I got the feeling Billy Hatcher was the choice for the first base coaching job. And now it's official. Hatcher replaces John Moses, who resigned last week, and is expected to be in uniform tomorrow.

The former Reds outfielder spent the last eight seasons on the Devil Rays' staff, including stints as the first base coach (1998-99, 2003-05), third base coach (2000) and bench coach (2001-02). Before that, Hatcher spent two seasons with Tampa Bay as a minor league instructor.

UPDATE: Jerry gave me a call while waiting for his dinner, and he said the decision was "very difficult" but he was thrilled to have Hatcher in the fold.

"He was an outstanding major league player and he has an outstanding history with the Cincinnati Reds, and thatís all a plus," said Narron. "I just really believe heís a guy thatís going to be a long-term fit for Cincinnati and do a great job for us."

As tough as it was to tell the other four they didn't get the job, said Narron, the saving grace is that all four will still be in the Reds' organization and helping out along the way.

He also noted that the decision was basically his to make. I don't know that he would have had that much freedom under the previous regime...

"One thing Iím very happy about is, Mr. Castellini had the confidence in me to make the decision on my own," said Narron. "I did talk with Wayne extensively about each man, but no one tried to influence the decision in any way."

posted by Marc @ 5:58 PM 0 comments

In case you missed it...

SARASOTA -- Felipe Lopez has decided not to play in the World Baseball Classic. He probably would have been Puerto Rico's starting shortstop, but decided it would be better to stick around Reds camp.

Felipe was among the position players trickling in this weekend. Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn arrived in town Saturday, and Jacob Cruz made his first appearance Sunday.

Other than that, been a pretty slow day...

Re: Hatcher to be named 1st base coach, no WBC for Felipe

Hatcher was the 1st base coach for Lou in 1990, and spent the last few years in Tampa with him too.

Start looking over your shoulder Jerry.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Sorry for those who didn't get this job, but I have great memories of Hatcher's role on the 1990 Reds. There was much talk that year about getting a right handed hitting outfielder. Reds picked him up and he was a solid number two hitter and base stealer. Had that great post-season hitting streak. Just a solid, professional player who had a big supporting role on that team.

I know this sounds like Lou is on the horizon, but let's get through this year first. Glad to see Hatcher back with the Reds.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-19-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Hatcher was the 1st base coach for Lou in 1990, and spent the last few years in Tampa with him too.

Start looking over your shoulder Jerry.
    Hatcher was the Reds LF in 1990.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    possibly the personal left field coach for Wily Mo?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

TeamClark...you hearing anything in Tampa?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Sounds good, he's former Red but not big time former Red..I like it.
    Go Gators!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    TeamClark...you hearing anything in Tampa?

Sorry, missed your post. I look forward to seeing what Hatcher can do with the Reds. Could be a spring board for him to get a Manager's job.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think he got a lot of time in CF as well.. I thought I remembered Eric Davis playing LF in the playoffs and Hatcher in CF..

Not trying to pick nits.. just trying to jog my own memory.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I think he got a lot of time in CF as well.. I thought I remembered Eric Davis playing LF in the playoffs and Hatcher in CF..

Not trying to pick nits.. just trying to jog my own memory.

You are right. ED was in left when his injury occured in game 4 of the WS (I can remember the play like it was yesterday).

Note on Felipe:

I don't mind him staying in ST. This will get him more reps at SS and allow him to work on fundamentals of his defense. Work on lateral movements, and continue work on his throwing.

Billy Hatcher was the "regular" LF, and Eric Davis was the "regular" CF. But whenever Eric wasn't feeling 100% physically, Lou Piniella would flip-flop them, and put Davis in LF and Hatcher in CF. This was the defensive alignment in the 1990 postseason. Hatcher was a capable outfielder both in LF and CF. (He didn't play much--if ever--in RF. I don't know if it was because he didn't have the arm for it, or because the Reds had Paul O'Neill and Glenn Braggs who could handle the position.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Not Laughing

I think what we all need to be thankful for is that the position didn't go to Sr. Nothing personal against him, but having him in the clubhouse isn't something I was excited about. The only authority figure Jr. needs in the clubhouse is his manager. Having Sr. there seems like a conflict of interest. Like the Boone's were.

In addition, Sr. was a coach during the days of sucking, which are hopefully over. Not that Hatcher's Rays were tearing it up, but its new blood, not recycled blood.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

I was actually quite hoping that Senior would get the 1B coaching job. The current players that know him all seem to respect and admire him. Forget what the Reds did as a team when he was a coach. When he was a player for the Reds, they won rings. As far as Hatcher's presence improving upon team suckitude, I present to you the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?