Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario Picks a Pair of Standouts

Mario Picks a Pair of Standouts

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 04:11 AM.
    The happiest people don't need the best of every-thing; they make the best of everything they have.
    ---
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
    but how to dance in the rain.'
    ---

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mario Picks a Pair of Standouts

More anecdotal evidence that Bailey is something the Reds haven't had in a while. Don't rush him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

More evidence that pitch to contact was a collossial failure.

Todd Coffey should throw the heat.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    More evidence that pitch to contact was a collossial failure.

Todd Coffey should throw the heat.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Chris Gruler had a better curve ball than Tom Seaver.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    More anecdotal evidence that Bailey is something the Reds haven't had in a while. Don't rush him.
    Heard the same things about Howington and Aramboles a few years back. Frankly, I'm not interested in anecdotes. Coaches and old timers get spring fever. Plus, Bailey's been 90% anecdote to date. He doesn't have the control that was advertised and he doesn't throw as hard as advertised. What counts for Homer these days will be what he does and not what others say.

Though I agree with not rushing him. It's another reason why the Reds need to let comments like Soto's go in one ear and out the other.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I like Soto's comments from the perspective of hyping prospects.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Someone has to shine the silver. Might as well keep the drapes open so the nosy ones walking by can see it.

"I don't know any pitcher on this team and I don't know anything about any of them," said Soto.
    He doesn't say promote him to the big club. He says he likes what he saw.

Personally I'm glad he likes what he saw, I like his comments about Coffey even more, because it's dead on.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It would be great to see Coffee and Wagner both pan out. Just look at the Astros over the past five years. Having two solid closer types is very valuable and is one of the easiet palces to save money. Remember the Wagner > Dotel > Lidge > Wheeler thing they've got going.

I'm an advocate of having a shutdown back end of the bullpen, but not spending 6+ Mil to get it done. Both those guys will be under our control for a few more years on the cheap and can miss bats.

Heard the same things about Howington and Aramboles a few years back. Frankly, I'm not interested in anecdotes. Coaches and old timers get spring fever.
    I don't agree that the buzz around Homer is similar to what you had around Howington, Aramboles and Gruler. Everybody knew Bowden was PT Barnum.

Maybe Soto has spring fever, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he's been briefed on spin-generation, but I'm guessing he's just there to look at and mentor pitchers, not play media games. Scouts from every team saw Bailey last year -- nobody's depending on Mario Soto for an assessment. Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather hear glowing reports from Soto, who said he didn't know any background on Bailey, than "he's young and needs to spend time in the minors" (potentially a euphemism for "he throws hard but doesn't have a clue," which some posters believe to be the case). While I think it's true that Homer needs to be advanced with caution, I do think Soto's take is unadulterated and serves as a good window on what kind of stuff the kid has.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Man Pills

It's my experience that in virtually every walk of life people see what they want to see.

I imagine that if you dropped Mario down in a field full of low minor leaguers from all around baseball and not just the Cincinnati Reds and remove the names from the backs of their jerseys, he'd gravitate to 30 guys of a similar age before he would to Bailey.

It's not that I distrust Soto's assessment; it's that he's a captive audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It's my experience that in virtually every walk of life people see what they want to see.

I imagine that if you dropped Mario down in a field full of low minor leaguers from all around baseball and not just the Cincinnati Reds and remove the names from the backs of their jerseys, he'd gravitate to 30 guys of a similar age before he would to Bailey.

It's not that I distrust Soto's assessment; it's that he's a captive audience.
    My experience is the opposite. People tend to critique what they have no vested interest in. Faculty are the worst.

One thing Soto said about Todd Coffey was:

"I'm going to tell them he should be the closer," said Soto. "Right now they are trying to teach him too many pitches. He doesn't need them. He throws hard, he throws strikes and he seems to have the makeup to be a closer."
    That's a critique of the way he had been handled. Soto is there to instruct. if he likes what he sees, he'll encourage it. If he doesn't he'll try to change it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Not sure what this is based on. I'd love to see a list of 30 19-year-olds you like better than Bailey.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    He doesn't have the control that was advertised and he doesn't throw as hard as advertised.
    I agree with the control, I disagree with him not throwing hard.

The last game I saw Homer pitch in Dayton he consistently hit 94-95 on the scoreboard Radar, hit 96 a dozen times, and hit 97 the 5th inning to K a guy.

Either the Dayton scoreboard Radar is fibbing (possible), or that guy DOES throw hard.

GL

Turn Off Ads?