Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricky caught smoking the wacky weed again?

Ricky caught smoking the wacky weed again?

Report: Ricky Williams violates NFL drug policyESPN.com news services

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has violated the NFL's substance abuse policy for a fourth time and is facing a one-year suspension from the league, Denver television station KDVR reported on Sunday.

The Miami Herald, citing two sources of its own, confirmed the station's report that Williams has violated the policy, although neither source would say whether Williams had failed a drug test or if he had missed a required test, which also is a violation.

An NFL spokesman told ESPN that the NFL had no comment on the report.

Williams has tested positive for marijuana three times and served a four-game suspension when he returned to the NFL last season following a one-year retirement.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban told ESPN he was not aware that Williams had tested positive and he was not allowed to comment, citing the confidential nature of the league's substance-abuse policy.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined to comment when reached by the Herald on Sunday night.

"Because of the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy, we can't comment on any aspect of that program," Greene told the newspaper.

Williams was also fined the equivalent of four weeks' salary after his second and third violations of the NFL policy, in December 2003 and the 2004 offseason.

His mother, Sandy Williams, told the Palm Beach Post she would be "shocked" if her son would use marijuana again and strongly doubts that is the case.

Sandy Williams told the newspaper her son is currently in India and that they had not spoken of late. She speculated that he could have tested positive for a legal supplement he is taking in connection with his yoga studies.

"I'll bet my life he's not smoking marijuana," she told the Post on Sunday. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking weed."

"I'm thinking maybe it was one of his [legal] supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking weed."

Williams abruptly retired from the NFL in July 2004 and the Dolphins fell apart, losing their first six games and finishing 4-12 -- their worst season since the 1960s.

At the time of his return, Williams was ordered to pay the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, although there has been no financial resolution between him and the team. He was scheduled to be paid the league minimum of $540,000 last season, but was docked four games' pay due to his league-mandated suspension and was fined another four games in pay, reducing his take to $285,882.

Williams' base salaries for the two coming seasons are $545,000 and $670,000, the minimum for a player (he entered the league in 1999) of his NFL tenure.

Motivated partly by the need for a paycheck, he accepted Saban's offer to return for the 2005 season. When he reported at the start of training camp, Williams publicly apologized for the impact caused by his retirement and teammates unanimously embraced his return.

The Dolphins finished the 2005 season 9-7, winning their last six games. Williams gained 743 yards and scored six touchdowns.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award and the Doak Walker Award following his senior season at Texas, in 1998. The New Orleans Saints traded away all their picks in the 1999 NFL draft in order to get him.

In six seasons with New Orleans and Miami, Williams has 7,097 yards on 1,757 carries -- four yards per carry -- and 47 rushing touchdowns. His best season was in 2002 with Miami, when he gained 1,853 yards in 383 carries and ran for 16 TDs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2336760

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ricky caught smoking the wacky weed again?

Just sad.
    Go Gators!

If he's in India, it would seem logical that he missed a test and that is what has gotten him into trouble again. Do they send people around the globe to conduct these things?

Reporting on the radio now that it was indeed a failed test, not a missed one.

I don't think there's any chance that anybody takes a flyer on him one year from now. Stick a fork in him.

"Ricky don't lose that number" is now translated "Ricky just lost his number"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Note to Ricky: Read what it says below this post (my signature)...
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Its just weed people need to let him be himself. Believe it or not you can smoke pot and be a productive person.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Believe it or not you can smoke pot and be a productive person.
    Not in the NFL.

and by the way...great message for kids: Hey kids it's okay to smoke pot, you can still be a productive person...so go for it!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Its just weed people need to let him be himself. Believe it or not you can smoke pot and be a productive person.
    You won't find a bigger proponent of drug legalization than me. But like it or not, Rickey signed away his "right" to smoke it in consideration for some extremely generous compensation on the part of his employer.

If you're willing to risk forfeiture of millions of dollars just to use drugs, then you are an addict.
    Stick to your guns.

I understand the whole part about his employer not be thrilled with this and that part I can completely agree with, but this is no different then being an acoholic, except thats probaly a lot worse. And dont give me the kid stuff cause that is just pathetic, Ricky is a grown man, he is his own man, and its not his job to raise kids. If he has any kids he is responisble for them, but thats it. If your kids, (in general), smoke pot the parents should look to themselves before they look to an athlete. Not saying its 100% the parents fault, but its a lot more the parents then Ricky Williams.

I understand the whole part about his employer not be thrilled with this and that part I can completely agree with, but this is no different then being an acoholic, except thats probaly a lot worse. And dont give me the kid stuff cause that is just pathetic, Ricky is a grown man, he is his own man, and its not his job to raise kids. If he has any kids he is responisble for them, but thats it. If your kids, (in general), smoke pot the parents should look to themselves before they look to an athlete. Not saying its 100% the parents fault, but its a lot more the parents then Ricky Williams.
    The Miami Dolphins are a private organization. If they tell Ricky that drinking Ovaltine will void his contract, then he'd better reach for Nestle's Quick at the grocery store. Even if the NFL felt otherwise (which they most certainly do not), the Dolphins could and should tell him bye-bye now. No point in waiting for the one year suspension to expire.

If you are a professional athlete who has lost the confidence of your teammates in the locker room, then you have nothing. Ricky was hanging on by a thread last season. That thread is now severed. Forget about the impact this will have on children. He has proven he cannot be depended upon. Lineman do not maintain blocks for backs they cannot depend upon.

He is done with football. Ricky, go teach yoga to the shirpas.

It appears it wasn't pot. Ricky has appealed and a ruling on that will be made in April.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Since returning last season, the NFL has required him to undergo drug tests up to 10 times a month
    How has he had time to ingest ANY banned substance when he's being tested every 72 hours on average?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    How has he had time to ingest ANY banned substance when he's being tested every 72 hours on average?
    ...and does he come over here from India for the tests or does someone from here go over there? Or is someone over there in charge of administering it?

Turn Off Ads?