Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Oden, Conley believe Matta will stay at OSU

Oden, Conley believe Matta will stay at OSU

Greg Oden and Mike Conley said they are confident Thad Matta will remain the basketball coach at Ohio State.

The Lawrence North High School seniors said they spoke to the Buckeyes' coach between the time Mike Davis announced his resignation at Indiana University and Matta's name being mentioned by media as a potential replacement.

"I talked to him (Thursday) night and it didn't even come up," said Oden, the top-ranked high school player in the nation. "I'm really not worried about it. I'm pretty sure nothing's going to happen."

Two-fifths of the heralded "Thad Five" recruiting class, Oden and Conley signed with Ohio State in November.

"I'm not worried about it at all," said Conley, one of the nation's top-ranked point guards. "I'm confident that everything will work out."

Speculation regarding the IU job only added to the off-court drama for Ohio State's recruits. They have been waiting on the NCAA to announce penalties regarding violations committed under former coach Jim O'Brien. The recruits have a letter from Ohio State stating the university will free them to play elsewhere if the Buckeyes receive a postseason ban that would affect their class, an unlikely scenario given previous NCAA decisions.

Lawrence North coach Jack Keefer said he thought speculation regarding Matta as a candidate for Indiana was off base.

"I think if people understood how much Matta was being paid, they would not say that," Keefer said. "The boy's got a nice paycheck. I can't speak for him, but that would be a tough, tough move. I don't think he's interested in a move like that."

Matta is in the second year of an eight-year contract worth $11 million in guaranteed income, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0601/602190477

I sure hope they're right.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Oden, Conley believe Matta will stay at OSU

It all depends on what the NCAA does. If there are post season sanctions Matta will bolt and take the recruiting class with him, if there aren't any then he doesn't leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    It all depends on what the NCAA does. If there are post season sanctions Matta will bolt and take the recruiting class with him, if there aren't any then he doesn't leave.
    Guess there's potential for an NCAA conspiracy there, huh? How much does the NCAA love Indiana? Talk about controversy...what if the NCAA really cracks down on OSU and Matta goes to IU and takes those guys with him...or has that been the plan all along....hmm.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I don't think Matta is going anywhere. He took the job while the school was under scrutiny and issued a self-imposed sanction last year. IMO, they are through the rough part of it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I cannot even fathom Matta leaving at this point. I say this not out of arrogance, as I believe there are many fine schools and coaching opportunities, and some just are better matches for certain people than others, regardless of perceptions about the "best job". I just simply think he is happy, has gotten off to a good start, is very well-liked, has a fantastic class coming in, and is well compensated. Another job would IMO would have to be so much the out-and-out lifelong, once-in-a-llifetime dream sorta job for him to leave this position.

I don't claim to know Coach Matta any better than I knew James Naismith (well maybe a little better than that!), but I just can't figure out how he could even consider bolting given all he's got going for him. All he needs to do is get some more students closer to the floor and he's got everything
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I think the past transgressions of the OSU basketball program was wiped out with self-sanctions and an eventual loss of scholarships.

I think the IU's job is Steve Alford's to lose. I also think that it's not going to be a potential wise decision.

I would think that Johnny Dawkins would be a great fit for the Indiana program. If Dawkins ever left Coach K's side and came to Indiana, Hoosier fans would be a proud lot once again, but this time with class.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

That is the same thing Mizzou fans thought.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I would think that Johnny Dawkins would be a great fit for the Indiana program.

that is the same thing Mizzou fans thought.

From The Newark Star-Ledger.

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski is one of the greatest coaches in college history, but that doesn't mean hiring one of his guys will translate into success. Eight former assistants of coach K started this year as head coaches. One, Quin Snyder, has already resigned at Missouri. David Henderson is struggling at Delaware (8-18), Tommy Amaker is fighting for his job after five mostly mediocre years at Michigan (17-7), Tim O'Toole is 9-16 at Fairfield, Neil Dougherty is 5-21 at TCU, Mike Dement is 11-15 at UNC-Greensboro and Mike Brey is 13-10 and in danger of not making the Big East Tournament at Notre Dame. Jeff Capel, who has VCU at 17-8, is the exception: He is having success on his own after playing for (but never assisting) Krzyzewski.

Turn Off Ads?