Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Ohio State's combined basketball record of 41-6 trails only Duke's 47-2 and Connecticut's 46-5. Not bad for a football school.

The football team finished the season ranked fourth nationally after a thumping Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl and lost only to champion Texas and third-ranked Penn State. The Bucks were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season and will be among the favorites to win the national title next season.

The Bucks are thisclose to another 20-win season and an NCAA Tournament berth, and argueably the top b-ball recruiting class in the nation (and the best in OSU history) are on their way in.

Greg Oden has OSU fans thinking Carmelo Anthony, who as a freshman led Syracuse to the national title.

My guess is that OSU would not trade the trio of Tressel, Matta and Foster for any other coaching trio in the country. Would you?

There's no other school in the nation with three top coaches like that.

Take Foster out of the mix and only Texas' Mack Brown and Rick Barnes, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Kelvin Sampson and Florida's Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan are in the same class with Tressel and Matta.

Yep, it's good to be a Buckeye...as long as Matta stays.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

If the Men's basketball team wins the Big Ten title (and it looks like they will), it will be the first time any Big TEn school has won titles in Men's and Women's Basketball, and Football in the same school year. Impressive.

go Bucks!

got alil captain in u?

ur right it is a great time to be a buckeye fan some experts see them making the final 4

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    ur right it is a great time to be a buckeye fan some experts see them making the final 4
    Then the Thad Five coming in next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Up to #8 in the coaches poll. Go Bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    If the Men's basketball team wins the Big Ten title (and it looks like they will)...
    go Bucks!
    I am as big a fan as anyone of Buckeye hoops, but you make me uneasy with this! With how everyone is beating everyone in the B10 this year, it seems every top team has at least one loss to a lower-tier opponent except us (unless you wanna count the Hoosiers in that category now - haha). We struggled with the Wildcats in C-bus and am sure they will be tough in Welsh-Ryan or wherever they play. I feel better about taking care of Purdue if we can get past tomorrow!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I am as big a fan as anyone of Buckeye hoops, but you make me uneasy with this! With how everyone is beating everyone in the B10 this year, it seems every top team has at least one loss to a lower-tier opponent except us (unless you wanna count the Hoosiers in that category now - haha). We struggled with the Wildcats in C-bus and am sure they will be tough in Welsh-Ryan or wherever they play. I feel better about taking care of Purdue if we can get past tomorrow!
    TOTALLY agree with you on that one. It's a bit scary. I've read some player interviews...and the good news is that they seem focused. It looks like they recognize the fact that this will not be an easy game. Saw Dials on TV talking about it. He was saying all the right things. I trust that Thad will have them ready.

Here's a story from the Toledo Blade: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...8006/-1/SPORTS

COLUMBUS — The last time the Ohio State Buckeyes won an outright Big Ten basketball championship, a 6-6 standout from Toledo’s Macomber High School led the way.

Jim Jackson has been a pro for more than a dozen years now, and the Buckeyes are stalking another championship they can call their own. As the Big Ten enters its final week of the season, four teams are still in the race for the title — Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa — but the Buckeyes have the advantage of controlling their own destiny.

Senior Terence Dials, who yesterday was named the Big Ten player of the week after his back-to-back double-doubles helped the Buckeyes position themselves for the championship, reined in the title talk, at least until tomorrow night’s game at Northwestern is behind him. A win over the Wildcats assures No. 9 Ohio State — ranked in the Top 10 for the first time since the 1999-2000 season — of no worse than a tie for the Big Ten crown.

“Our focus right now is Northwestern,”Dials said. “They have had some upsets there. We can’t just think the Big Ten championship is ours. We have to try and get a tough road win. Every road game is tough to get. We just have to go out against Northwestern and try and get something done.”
    Dials led the Buckeyes to wins over Michigan State and Michigan last week.

The 6-9 product of Boardman High School had 19 points with 10 rebounds in a critical win on the road against the Spartans, then made it five straight double-doubles with 22 points and 11 rebounds against Michigan.

Ohio State second-year coach Thad Matta said Dials senses the sand slipping through the hourglass as his career nears its end, and has a renewed sense of urgency about his play. Dials ranks sixth all-time in rebounds at Ohio State (823) and 16th in scoring (1,454).

“Terence is really playing great basketball right now,” Matta said. “I think he’s in the best shape of his life and he is finishing much better than he was earlier this season. He continues to score and rebound well, and his defense is much improved.”

Matta Matta did not want to comment on the championship picture and how the Buckeyes will dictate just how it is drawn, instead zeroing in on that pesky Northwestern team that had the Buckeyes down 12 at Value City Arena just 10 days ago. Ohio State eventually won 61-52, and reminded his players of the difficult time they had when he spoke to them about tomorrow night’s game in the moments following the win over Michigan.

“We have to get ready to play Northwestern,” Matta said. “That’s really all I said after the game. We’re fortunate it comes back quickly after just playing them [Feb. 18]. We just have to focus on trying to beat Northwestern.”

Previous Big Ten co-leader Iowa lost at Illinois on Saturday, and the door opened for the Buckeyes. If Ohio State can sweep past Northwestern and then beat last-place Purdue in the final home game for Dials and fellow seniors Matt Sylvester, J.J. Sullinger and Je’Kel Foster, the title will reside in Columbus.

Sullinger said taking the lead in the conference in the final week of his senior season has storybook value.

“This meant a lot,” he said. “It’s huge for us. Being a senior, I couldn’t ask for any better way to go out.”

The Buckeyes have won 17 Big Ten regular-season championships, 10 of them outright titles and the other seven shared. Ohio State got a piece of the conference title in 2000 and again in 2002 under coach Jim O’Brien, who is currently involved in a contentious multi-million dollar lawsuit with Ohio State.

With that messy affair simmering in the background, and the recent public speculation that Matta might be a candidate for the upcoming vacancy at Indiana, the Ohio State coach lauded his team for centering its vision on a Big Ten title.

“I don’t think anyone can ever imagine [what they’ve gone through],” Matta said. “Please don’t give me any credit for this. It’s those 11 guys in there. They’ve been as solid and focused and committed as we could ask. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a team more committed to just going out and doing what it needed to do.’’

Great JJ Sullinger quote when asked about the negativity the Bucks receive from fans when they're on the road:

"People love to be hating," Sullinger said. "We use the phrase, ‘They hate us because they ain’t us.’ "

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Greg Oden has OSU fans thinking Carmelo Anthony, who as a freshman led Syracuse to the national title.
    I see the comparison because Carmelo brought a championship his freshman year. But head to head, Greg Oden's upside dwarfs Carmelo's.

Oden is a man-child.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

That was certainly a heart stopper, but man what a great job to pull that one out in Evanston.

I find it interesting that the "that's all right, that's ok, you will work for us one day" boys couldn't get their wits about themselves to call one of their four timeouts with 10 seconds left after Lewis made the layup. :

Way to go Bucks!!!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Big Ten Champs!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

wHoOt!

Who is going to Senior Night on sunday?
    I will be there and hopefully 2 of my buds will go with me!
    Let's make some noise!

Congrats to the Lady Bucks. Big Ten regular season champs and Big Ten tournament champs!

Here's to the Men's team duplicating the feat!

Dials, Matta are recognized as Big Ten’s best

Buckeyes win player, coach of year honors
    Wednesday, March 08, 2006
    Bob Baptist
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Terence Dials said last weekend that a season-long feeling of being disrespected by outsiders drove the Ohio State men’s basketball team to win the Big Ten championship.

The Buckeyes need a new motivational vehicle for postseason play.

Their first outright conference championship in 14 years earned Dials and coach Thad Matta the Big Ten’s top individual awards yesterday. Dials was voted player of the year by coaches and media and Matta was voted coach of the year by the media. The coaches do not give an award to one of their own.

"I’ve got to give a lot of credit to a lot of different people. The coaching staff probably ranks No. 1 and my teammates second," said Dials, a fifth-year senior who made the All-Big Ten first team for the first time in his career.

"Talentwise, there are probably guys that are better, but for what they meant to their team, obviously they didn’t win the championship and maybe they didn’t do as well as a team. That’s why it’s probably more of a team award than anything."

Dials, a 6-foot-9 center, had a streak of five double-doubles in points and rebounds as Ohio State won eight of its past nine Big Ten games to win the championship by one game over Illinois and Iowa. Dials finished ninth in the conference in scoring (15.3 points per game), fourth in rebounding (8.0) and third in fieldgoal percentage (.581).

"For Terence, you can look and say this is a great lesson in life," Matta said. "When you’re a real good guy, good things are going to happen. The teammate that he is, his teammates put him in a position to win that honor. All the hard work he’s done, it’s good to see it pay off for him."

Matta, 38 and in his second season at Ohio State, led the Buckeyes to a 12-4 record in conference play. They are 23-4 overall, ranked No. 7 and the No. 1 seed in the Big Ten tournament this week in Indianapolis.

It is the third such award for Matta in six seasons as a head coach. He also was honored after winning regular-season and conference tournament championships at Butler in 2001 and Xavier in 2002.

"He knows how to motivate kids and get you to play one game at a time and not look past anybody," Dials said. "He took (the season opener against) Chicago State just as seriously as he took Michigan State in preparing to win. That’s one of his mottoes: ‘Never get tired of preparing to win.’ When you see a coach watching tons of film on Chicago State and taking them as serious as (any other team), you’ve got to respect that and go out there and work hard for him every day."

Guard Je’Kel Foster, the Big Ten leader in steals and one of its top three-point shooters, was voted second-team all-conference by coaches and to the third team by the media. Coaches also voted him to one of five positions on the all-defensive team.

"I’m glad my defense is getting recognized," Foster said.

If anyone can still play the respect card, it is point guard Jamar Butler. He was voted to the third team by the media and honorable mention by the coaches despite having the secondbest assist-to-turnover ratio in the Big Ten, one of the best three-point shooting percentages and winning almost every matchup he had against other point guards in the conference. Coaches also did not vote him to the all-defensive team.

"I’m happy for Je’Kel because (defense was) one of our main focuses going into this season," Matta said. "I was hoping a guy like Jamar would have a crack at that (team) as well, but as I told him, he’s still got to prove himself."

Butler said he was "a little surprised" he did not make the all-defensive team. "But I’m only a sophomore and I have two more years to play in this league. Hopefully, I can get it my junior and senior year."

Ron Lewis would have been the favorite for the newly created sixth man award but started one game too many (six) to qualify, Matta said.

A former teammate of Lewis’ at Brookhaven High School, Jamelle Cornley of Penn State, was voted freshman of the year.
    http://www.dispatch.com/bball/bball....308-F1-02.html
    Last edited by max venable; 03-08-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Turn Off Ads?