Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Re: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Honestly, as an OSU fan I pretty much expect IU to win. They have more to play for (OSU has already won the Big Ten, IU needs to keep winning to solidify their tourney standing, the Mike Davis thing...they'll play hard for the outgoing coach).

And I'm okay with that. Let's get some work on and get ready for Thursday (or Friday).
    I wouldn't say that. OSU still wants to win this tournament, and they are in the hunt for a #1 seed.

OSU is clearly better than Indiana, but hopefully for IU fans, the home crowd will give the Hoosiers a lift.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    I wouldn't say that. OSU still wants to win this tournament, and they are in the hunt for a #1 seed.

OSU is clearly better than Indiana, but hopefully for IU fans, the home crowd will give the Hoosiers a lift.
    I don't think anything changes in the seedings no matter what the Bucks do from here on out. They're a #2--or a #1 already. The committee is basically done--that's my point. Stuff that happens at this point really only matters to bubble teams.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

From today's Dayton Daily News:
    Michigan fan wants his team to be like Buckeyes
    By Doug Harris
    Staff Writer

I went to see my sports doc for a creaky knee, and he ended up turning to me for help.

A Michigan grad and passionate Wolverine football fan, he needed to vent about his team's 7-5 record last season — the program's worst mark in 21 years — and interrupted our usual banter to unload.

"Something's missing," he said. "They just don't play with the same energy. They used to butt helmets after big plays. They don't do that anymore.

"And the worst part," he added, pointing to a gaggle of nurses behind the receptionist's desk, all of them unabashed Ohio State rooters, "is having to listen to them."

The Buckeyes have racked up three BCS bowl wins in four years — a feat matched only by Southern Cal — and have paddled Michigan in four of the last five seasons.

And the OSU faithful are basking in the good times.

The spring game last Saturday drew a paid crowd of 63,649, but an OSU spokesman said this week that the actual number probably exceeded 70,000 because the ticket-takers didn't count children under age 6, who were admitted free.

Nebraska (57,415), Florida (45,200), Texas (41,200) and Alabama (40,000) also drew mammoth spring-game crowds, but the Buckeyes surpassed them all — even though fans knew they'd get to watch the star players only for a quarter or two.

Maybe they came out just to see the helmet-butting.
    LINK

I was at the game last week and when they said that the attendance was only 63,000 I was shocked. The entire stadium minus the south endzone was full, I was figuring there was about 70,000 for sure. In fact, I heard the radio and tv people saying on the broadcasts in the stadium that the crowd was at least 70,000. It was sure great to see that many people come out and the crowd for the spring game grows every year. I'd say in a few years that the spring game could be a sell out if the growth continues at this pace.

It's still a great time to be a Buckeye fan:

Ivan Maisel's preseason top 25 is out. The top five look like this:

1. THE Ohio State Buckeyes

2. Oklahoma

3. West Virginia

4. Texas

5. Florida State

Michigan? You ask? #16

Go Bucks!

LINK
    From SI.com:
    The future stars
    A pair of Buckeyes who are worthy of the hype

Greg Oden
    Here's a piece of advice: Save this photo of Greg Oden. And not just because the Lawrence North (Indianapolis) senior is going to be the best center in the NBA someday, but because this is a view of him most people aren't likely to get. After all, there aren't many chances to look down on a 7-footer who towers over the competition -- both literally and metaphorically. Unless you've been living in a cave the past few years, chances are you know the deal with Oden by now: game-changing shot-swatter, glass-cleaning rebounder and rim-rattling dunker who'll be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft whenever he decides to conclude his college career at Ohio State. And the scary part is, he still has room for improvement. Guess the future really is looking up for Oden.

Chris Wells
    Big Ten football is all about power. Strong running games are the norm in the conference, and the soft need not apply. So it shouldn't be any surprise that Garfield (Akron, Ohio) running back Chris Wells signed with Ohio State, where he'll join Oden as a freshman stud next year. The 6-foot-2, 228-pound Wells, who is rated the nation's top running back in the class of 2006 by SchoolSports.com, packs a tremendous combo of power and speed. As a senior he ran for 2,134 yards and 27 touchdowns and was named MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. With Wells and stud tailback Antonio Pittman, Ohio State could have its own version of "Thunder and Lightning," a la USC's Reggie Bush and LenDale White. Bush and White accounted for a Heisman and two national titles in college -- and the future could hold the same for Wells and the Buckeyes.

Time to revisit this tread...

How sweet is it that the Football Buckeyes:

1. just beat Michigan
    2. are ranked #1 (and have been all season
    3. will be playing for the National Championship in Jan.

AND...the Basketball Buckeyes:
    1. have the Thad five clicking on the court
    2. are ranked #3 in the polls.

Our poll avg. is #2. I love it!

OH SHUT UP
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Don't forget the women's basketball team. They are ranked #6 in the nation this week.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Let's see where the Men's Hoops Buckeyes are next year without Oden once he goes pro.

Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of Troy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Let's see where the Men's Hoops Buckeyes are next year without Oden once he goes pro.

Hey, whatever.

I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

???

Yeah...let's see...

What's wrong with us taking some time to enjoy the success? Good grief.

FWIW: The b-ball Bucks won the Big Ten title last year WITHOUT Oden. Matta seems like a pretty darn-good coach...I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for football...that Tressel guy's s a pretty good coach, too, in case you haven't noticed. Seems to me some people last year were saying, "Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of nine defensive starters."

I'm sorry, highlife, but your post smacks of jealousy. Let's see how (fill in the blank team) does next year...but hey, we're not talking about next year, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    ???

Yeah...let's see...

Nothing is wrong with enjoying your teams success and being happy, it would be completely abnormal not to be. Reds fans do it all the time, get happy when their team wins.

When it comes to Ohio State and Tressel there seems to be more sour grapes, jealousy and hate than you might see toward Griffey and Dunn.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    ???

Yeah...let's see...

FWIW: The b-ball Bucks won the Big Ten title last year WITHOUT Oden. Matta seems like a pretty darn-good coach...I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for football...that Tressel guy's s a pretty good coach, too, in case you haven't noticed. Seems to me some people last year were saying, "Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of nine defensive starters."

I'm sorry, highlife, but your post smacks of jealousy. Let's see how (fill in the blank team) does next year...but hey, we're not talking about next year, are we?

If I'm jealous of anything, it's that Xavier couldn't keep Matta, as I'm a huge X fan. I drank the OSU Kool Aid for 3 years while I was there, and it drove me to the point where I hate OSU Football. There's only 2 OSU teams I'd root for anymore, Men's Hoops and Men's Hockey. I want to see OSU succeed in Men's Hoops b/c I want to see Matta succeed. I also want to see Oden live up to some of his 1 and done hype.

Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty. Tressel's latest poster child, Troy Smith, even needed a 2nd chance. Jim O'Brien ran a horribly dirty program. He lost his job b/c of it. I'd like to see Matta reverse that, but it's just a matter of not getting caught by the NCAA. It's all about loopholes and creative recruiting.

If I'm jealous of anything, it's that Xavier couldn't keep Matta, as I'm a huge X fan. I drank the OSU Kool Aid for 3 years while I was there, and it drove me to the point where I hate OSU Football. There's only 2 OSU teams I'd root for anymore, Men's Hoops and Men's Hockey. I want to see OSU succeed in Men's Hoops b/c I want to see Matta succeed. I also want to see Oden live up to some of his 1 and done hype.

Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty. Tressel's latest poster child, Troy Smith, even needed a 2nd chance. Jim O'Brien ran a horribly dirty program. He lost his job b/c of it. I'd like to see Matta reverse that, but it's just a matter of not getting caught by the NCAA. It's all about loopholes and creative recruiting.
    Yep, you sure "know" it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?