Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yep, you sure "know" it.
    Tell me with 100% certainty major Div I Football and Basketball programs are 100% clean of all NCAA infractions.

Clarett was dirty for OSU. Troy Smith was dirty for OSU. Gamble was dirty for OSU. Katzenmoyer was dirty for OSU. The list goes on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty.
    Baloney.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Let's be real here, every program has a certain amount of dirt. College sports aren't pure and clean. It's weak to throw cheap shots about the "dirty" Buckeye program when you can easily make the same accusations about any other school.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Let's be real here, every program has a certain amount of dirt. College sports aren't pure and clean. It's weak to throw cheap shots about the "dirty" Buckeye program when you can easily make the same accusations about any other school.
    I'm not just singling out OSU. I'm saying all major Div I Football and Basketball programs aren't squeaky clean. They all have their dirt. They all have their skeletons in their closets.

UC's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Football program has had its problems. I'm sure even Thad Matta had some dirt when he was at XU. I'm sure UC's Football program has some dirt. Miami of Ohio probably has dirt. Bottomline, they all have dirt, they aren't clean programs and they have their own respective ways around the NCAA's ways.

So if everybody is doing it is that a problem or just the way?

I'm not just singling out OSU. I'm saying all major Div I Football and Basketball programs aren't squeaky clean. They all have their dirt. They all have their skeletons in their closets.
    Dude, you specifically accused Jim Tressel of running a dirty program. I think that's bogus. You implied that he cheats. No way. Ask anyone that knows him and they'll tell you he's a man of integrity--squeaky clean.

You brought up the Clarett thing...basically you implied that Tressel cheated because Mo was on his team. You think Tressel was helping Mo make all those bad choices? Blaming JT for Mo's indescretions is moronic. Did Tressel aid Troy Smith in the whole $500 from a booster thing? No...he DISCIPLINED him and helped him turn around. I think Troy Smith is a huge feather in JT's cap for how he handled the situation and for the kind of person Troy has become.

Calling Tressel a cheater is lame. Get real.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Dude, you specifically accused Jim Tressel of running a dirty program. I think that's bogus. You implied that he cheats. No way. Ask anyone that knows him and they'll tell you he's a man of integrity--squeaky clean.

You brought up the Clarett thing...basically you implied that Tressel cheated because Mo was on his team. You think Tressel was helping Mo make all those bad choices? Blaming JT for Mo's indescretions is moronic. Did Tressel aid Troy Smith in the whole $500 from a booster thing? No...he DISCIPLINED him and helped him turn around. I think Troy Smith is a huge feather in JT's cap for how he handled the situation and for the kind of person Troy has become.

Calling Tressel a cheater is lame. Get real.
    To say that the head coach of the Buckeyes has no knowledge of booster activity with his starting QB is ignorant.

Since this was a Buckeye thread, I brought up Jim Tressel, since he's the head coach of the Buckeyes, as running a dirty program. You're going to tell me that OSU runs a 100% squeaky clean program? Come on, you know better than that.

I've never said what Tressel, or any other Div I football coach of a major program does is cheating and or wrong to me, but the NCAA wouldn't agree with my opinion.

I'm not blaming Tressel for Clarett's transgressions, but rather stating that I find it hard to believe Tressel can claim 100% ignorance of Clarett's actions while on Tressel's team and get a free pass on the situation.

Obviously OSU has some dirt they've been trying to hide from the NCAA or else their former AD Andy Geiger wouldn't have left his office.

Tressel's run a much better program than John Cooper ever did, but that doesn't make Tressel a saint.

I've made peace with the fact that some of my favorite college programs of whatever sport are probably dirty. Apparently you haven't, and maybe don't want to.

If college athletes in major revenue sports were allowed to be treated like the pre-professionals that they are, we wouldn't have this annual dance around NCAA rules and stipulations. Make the money they're already illegally getting legal. Make the fringe benefits they're not supposed to get but do legal.

We could pick any school, and I'd be saying the same thing. You're just upset I'm speaking the truth about your school of choice.

How were Gamble and Katzenmoyer dirty may I ask?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Jim Tressel is a coach not a babysitter. Sometimes young male athletes make poor decisions. When you make them as a star at Ohio State it ends up in the first 8 minutes of SportsCenter. I think Tressel has done a fantastic job dealing with adversity that has come up in his time as head coach.
    And I'm pretty sure Geiger's retirement can be chalked up to being of retirment age. A lot of people in their 60s want to stop doing a 9-5 and the job he was in required a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Gamble "worked" for a booster. He rarely showed up and was paid for making appearances by and for the booster. This was the season right before he went pro.

Katzenmoyer had the academic problem that Cooper couldn't keep quiet, and he had to go thru that largely publicized summer session.

I would tend to agree with Max, a lot of these anti-OSU posts wreak of jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Jim Tressel is a coach not a babysitter. Sometimes young male athletes make poor decisions. When you make them as a star at Ohio State it ends up in the first 8 minutes of SportsCenter. I think Tressel has done a fantastic job dealing with adversity that has come up in his time as head coach.
    And I'm pretty sure Geiger's retirement can be chalked up to being of retirment age. A lot of people in their 60s want to stop doing a 9-5 and the job he was in required a lot more than that.
    Geiger retired b/c of the Jim O'Brien incident. Chalk it up to him running away from that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I would tend to agree with Max, a lot of these anti-OSU posts wreak of jealousy.
    I'm sure Michigan's program is just as dirty. There's no jealousy in that statement.

I just can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that college athletic programs are dirty and don't comply 100% to the letter of the NCAA law.

I'm sure Michigan's program is just as dirty. There's no jealousy in that statement.

I just can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that college athletic programs are dirty and don't comply 100% to the letter of the NCAA law.
    Completely different from what you originally said.

And being "dirty" and having small problems with renegade boosters is somewhat a different definition. In my humble opinion.

When you say a coach runs a dirty program you are defining something else right?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If I'm jealous of anything, it's that Xavier couldn't keep Matta, as I'm a huge X fan. I drank the OSU Kool Aid for 3 years while I was there, and it drove me to the point where I hate OSU Football. There's only 2 OSU teams I'd root for anymore, Men's Hoops and Men's Hockey. I want to see OSU succeed in Men's Hoops b/c I want to see Matta succeed. I also want to see Oden live up to some of his 1 and done hype.

Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty. Tressel's latest poster child, Troy Smith, even needed a 2nd chance. Jim O'Brien ran a horribly dirty program. He lost his job b/c of it. I'd like to see Matta reverse that, but it's just a matter of not getting caught by the NCAA. It's all about loopholes and creative recruiting.
    This was my original post....

All this time I've been banging the "Head Coaches know what goes on with their players in their programs" drum. By "dirty" I mean boosters paying players, programs knowingly breaking NCAA compliance laws, etc. That's why I've said all along that all your major Div I athletic programs, particularly their football and basketball teams aren't following the NCAA rules 100%. I'm not trying to single out any particular institution.

I just don't buy it that a head coach in any sport at any school doesn't know what goes on with his or her athletes.

Turn Off Ads?