Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Re: It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Gamble "worked" for a booster. He rarely showed up and was paid for making appearances by and for the booster. This was the season right before he went pro.

Katzenmoyer had the academic problem that Cooper couldn't keep quiet, and he had to go thru that largely publicized summer session.
    Katzenmoyer's grades should not have been a matter of public record. His right to privacy was violated by nosey reporters. Katzenmoyer stayed eligible why is this being brought up again?

The Gamble thing was much a do about nothing if I remember correctly. The initial furor was lumped in with Troy Smith's indescretions but it later turned out he actually worked and was in trouble because he signed some autographs, while on the job, which is a no no. No punishment was ever levied for anything related to Chris Gamble.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...tm?POE=SPOISVA
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 11-22-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know what's worse, some of the ridiculous things I hear from OSU fans or the ridiculous things I hear from the OSU haters?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't know what's worse, some of the ridiculous things I hear from OSU fans or the ridiculous things I hear from the OSU haters?
    Especially when they are unsubstantiated or have been investigated by governing bodies and dispensed with. It comes down to the obvious possibilities, envy, jealousy, frustration, hate, a cry of cheat. If you can't beat them, then cry foul or turn to personality issues. But god forbid allowing the game to be played on the field and allowing the results to speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    It comes down to the obvious possibilities, envy, jealousy, frustration, hate, a cry of cheat. If you can't beat them, then cry foul or turn to personality issues. But god forbid allowing the game to be played on the field and allowing the results to speak for themselves.

It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes. They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan, that Michigan had no chance what-so-ever, that without unforced turnovers the game would have been a blowout, that Michigan only deserves one chance at the Buckeyes, that there is no way they should be labeled the second ranked team in the nation, and that Michigan would stand no chance if (Hell freezes over, according to some) they played the Buckeyes in the National Championship game. That's a lot to ask of any fan of a team that lost by 3 points.

To add, I'm not talking about what Highlifeman wrote about running dirty programs, although I do agree somewhat with him that all Div I football and basketball teams walk a thin line on most NCAA rules. I'm specifically talking about the game that was played last Saturday and all of the talk since.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd say it's about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes.
    You could be right. I think that the perception might be that the game last Saturday was a game and it had an end result and some might feel that it is being devalued for whatever reason valid or not.

They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan,
    Well they are wrong, Ohio State was not that much better than Michigan, Michigan has a very fine team this year. We saw the game, we can certainly look up the stats and the score was there for all to see.

Ohio State was not that much better than Michigan and we all know that. Michigan deserves a lot of respect, but, will those outside of the Big Ten give that respect to either Ohio State or Michigan considering the rest of the Big Ten competition this year?

But the game last Saturday has to count, be valued, or none of the other games have value or count either.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes. They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan, that Michigan had no chance what-so-ever, that without unforced turnovers the game would have been a blowout, that Michigan only deserves one chance at the Buckeyes, that there is no way they should be labeled the second ranked team in the nation, and that Michigan would stand no chance if (Hell freezes over, according to some) they played the Buckeyes in the National Championship game.
    Wait a minute RL. Alot of the OSU fans on here have stated just the opposite of what you've stated above.

A majority felt that that game was the NC game, and that if it was close Michigan should stay #2.

Many have said they didn't want a rematch, and it was due to the "fear" that Michigan, because they are a darn good football team, would give them the best fight over the rest of the lot.

And several others, including myself, have stated that Michigan won't get a second chance, not because they don't deserve it, but that the odds are against them simply because of the BCS system, the fact Michigan's season is over, and the teams on their butt have very important games to play against each other that will, according to the system, propel/edge one of them past Michigan in the standings.

My statements of where they might drop is not where I felt they deserved to be, but where I thought the BCS might drop them.

It wasn't said to be a slight against the Michigan program/team.

That was a helluva game last Saturday, and I thought it would be close. In fact, there is always that fear in the back of my mind going in, because it is OSU-Michigan, that Michigan could win this game.

But I don't think making personal observations and/or predictions about the outcome of the game is being classless or showing a lack of respect for the opponent.

Going into the half, and when we were up 14 pts, I felt that if OSU stuck with the same offensive spread game plan, it would be at least a 10 pt win for the Bucks.

They changed up that plan in the 2nd half, and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, 2 of those 3 turnovers were self-inflicted, and my hat was off to Michigan for capitalizing on them. That is what GOOD TEAMS do.

But I do feel that it wouldn't have been as close (not a blowout though) if not for those turnovers.

That is not being disrespectful or classless towards Michigan. I understand it's all a moot point; but it was just a game observation.

Every Saturday, during the college football season, I bet we all are watching various games and making the very same observations afterwards....

If so-and-so hadn't done this, or this situation and/or call hadn't occurred, then they won't have lost or the game wouldn't have been as close.

Why is the OSU-Michigan somehow different? It's what we as fans do.

And maybe we'll be saying the same things after this Saturday (USC-ND) or next Saturday (Arkansas-Florida).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

What occurs to me in all this is that (and I love this) U-M fans are almost proud...giddy even, that they played OSU to within three points. What seems to be lost on them is the fact that they lost (again!) to OSU. It's like, "Oh well, we're just happy to get close in this game." I think that's great. I love the fact that after 13 years of Cooper's shortcomings against U-M, the rivalry, under Tressel, has done a 180. U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!

Nice job U-M...you guys played a good game. You came within four points of beating the only team that's been ranked #1 for the whole season. But don't forget...YOU LOST AGAIN!

OSU did what they had to do to assure themselves a spot in the NC game. U-M didn't. Maybe they'll get lucky and get a rematch. If it happens, it happens...and I have all the confidence in the world about JT's ability to get his team ready. He's 3-0 in the Fiesta Bowl. He's 5-1 against U-M. Really, a rematch should be no problem for the Bucks.

U-M fans, take this as a compliment: It would be an honor to beat you twice in one season.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!
    If you think UM fans are being fairly represented here I'd say then that your consistent gloating is the the fuel to that fire.

However I'd say that this thread shows more about the OSU fan then the UM fan, since it unfairly represents any cross section of UM fans, it just trots out the ones whose head bob up in a sea of scarlet and gray
    Last edited by westofyou; 11-24-2006 at 10:49 AM.

As a Buckeye fan (a big Buckeye fan) who is (gasp) friends with a Wolverine fan, I'll relate this. We met by chance at a local establishmnet Wednesday, and both agreed it was a very good game. I said I still think they are clearly #2, though of course it can be argued since they have not played some of the other potential #2's. I told him I would welcome a rematch but would be nervous about it. We won 42-39 on our home field - that was 42-39, NOT 42-3 or 42-9. We won by 3 points. It was a good game and it was close. Some things could have happened that would have increased that margin, but they did not. Just the same some things could have happened to reduce that margin further, but they did not. I honestly think the odds are, given the setting in Columbus, the margin could have been larger. But the game was what it was. My buddy agrees we are clearly #1 and understands how a 2nd meeting would potentially distasteful to Buckeye fans. Make your statements and voice your opinions about your teams but don't paint all fans with the same stroke.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I look on both groups of fans (in general) the same way I do Yankees fans and Red Sox fans -- spoiled children who get so wrapped up in their own idiocy that they forget just how good they have it.

Both teams got a chance to play for the national championship. They played in a game watched by millions around the nation, decided by 3 points, in which title aspirations were on the line for both sides.

I'd just encourage both sides -- OSU fans and UM fans -- to step back and realize how cool it is that you, your fans, your schools, and your players get to experience something like that...because it is something neither school I attended, despite the fact that they are both allegedly 1-A programs (Tulane and Toledo), will ever get the chance to experience.

Don't get wraped up in the fighting. Enjoy the experience.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 11-24-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    What occurs to me in all this is that (and I love this) U-M fans are almost proud...giddy even, that they played OSU to within three points. What seems to be lost on them is the fact that they lost (again!) to OSU. It's like, "Oh well, we're just happy to get close in this game." I think that's great. I love the fact that after 13 years of Cooper's shortcomings against U-M, the rivalry, under Tressel, has done a 180. U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!

Nice job U-M...you guys played a good game. You came within four points of beating the only team that's been ranked #1 for the whole season. But don't forget...YOU LOST AGAIN!

OSU did what they had to do to assure themselves a spot in the NC game. U-M didn't. Maybe they'll get lucky and get a rematch. If it happens, it happens...and I have all the confidence in the world about JT's ability to get his team ready. He's 3-0 in the Fiesta Bowl. He's 5-1 against U-M. Really, a rematch should be no problem for the Bucks.

U-M fans, take this as a compliment: It would be an honor to beat you twice in one season.

and you've forgotten that you're just a fan and didn't actually play in the game.

Oh, and isn't pridefullness a sin?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I look on both groups of fans (in general) the same way I do Yankees fans and Red Sox fans -- spoiled children who get so wrapped up in their own idiocy that they forget just how good they have it.

Both teams got a chance to play for the national championship. They played in a game watched by millions around the nation, decided by 3 points, in which title aspirations were on the line for both sides.

I'd just encourage both sides -- OSU fans and UM fans -- to step back and realize how cool it is that you, your fans, your schools, and your players get to experience something like that...because it is something neither school I attended, despite the fact that they are both allegedly 1-A programs (Tulane and Toledo), will ever get the chance to experience.

Don't get wraped up in the fighting. Enjoy the experience.
    I agree with your sentiment and that which GAC said before you.

I'm a Buckeye fan (even though I've never crossed High St. to set foot on campus). I became a fan as a kid in the days of Art Schlichter and Keith Byars and remained a fan through high school, college, and the years after (Hey, when you root for the Bengals, Cuyahoga Falls Black Tigers, Kent State Golden Flashes, BGSU Falcons, and Akron Zips, none of which have had great success in football, you like to find one winning program to follow). As much as I dislike Michigan, I respect them. I think that this year the two top teams in the country play in the same conference. So if there is a rematch, I wouldn't be upset at all. I think it will be just as tough and hard fought as the first matchup.

That being said, if there is a rematch, but this time Ohio State is coached by a 12 inch high Jim Tressel, I say that the Buckeyes win with mini-Tressel, 41-39.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

All this thread has done is confirm the....

LOYALTY of the fan to their respective team
    The BIAS that exist by those fans because of that loyalty, which may skewer there logic at times
    And their HATRED for the opposition.

Yeah, that's right..... HATRED.

Now none of us, due to the fact that we know each other, have a common bond in the Reds which leads us to "temper" that emotion, are really going to come out and express that for the most part.

Not hatred for the fan or individual on here, but hatred for the organization (team) they follow and pledge their allegiance.... the dreaded enemy or opposition.

That team we'd love to see ground into dirt on the playing field.

So lets admit it! I'm not afraid to.

I can respect an organization for what they have been able to accomplish/build, and yet, still hate their guts due to the competitive nature of the sport.

Let me illustrate

I'm a Reds fan

I respect the Dodgers (LaSorda) because of who they were. But I hated their guts BECAUSE they were the opposition that always stood in our way and gave us a competitive fight.

I'm a Browns fan. I have always respected the Steelers and Rooney family for their commitment and accomplishments. But I want the Browns to HURT the Steelers BAD on any given Sunday. And I'm talking about "carrying them of the field" bad.

I'm an OSU fan. I have always respected the Michigan organization, and especially Bo. By now you all get my point.

And if there is a rematch in the NC game, I hope we kick the hell out of you!

Nothing personal. That's just the way I feel being the Loyal, Biased, and Competitive fan that I am.

And don't tell me you all don't feel the same way, yet are simply tempering it on here. Or you can call it respect. But you're really not expressing how you really feel as that competitive, biased, and loyal fan.

So let it out!

It has nothing to do personally with RL, Puffy, Highway, woy, pedro, or any other opposing team fan that has posted on here.

I love all you **** like brothers, but we're talking college football allegiances here. And if we ever got together I'd buy you a few rounds. I already have with Puffy. I think he owes me!

There! I feel so much better having got that off my chest. It was really hurting me holding that in.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-25-2006 at 06:42 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    All this thread has done is confirm the....

The BIAS

Let me illustrate

I'm a Reds fan
    Confirm the bias by using a Reds fan for illustration.

A Reds fan? wow, have you ever read some of their game threads?
    I mean talk about hostile and volatile, they act like their team has never won a game or swing emotionally to the opposite extreme as if their team will never win again. They even pound on their fellow fans with nasty sarcasms.
    This thread is gentlemanly, suave and debonair comparatively.

Perhaps USC will give cause for everyone to rest on this football season tonight, maybe not, either way it is just a game.

Turn Off Ads?