Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds talking to Pedro Astacio?

Reds talking to Pedro Astacio?

Two places mention that the Reds are talking to free agent Pedro Astacio;
    1. Here
    2. Here

Last year Pedro pitched for Texas and San Diego. He did well for San Diego, and terrible for Texas.

Texas- 6.04 ERA, 67 IP, .292 BA Against, 12 Walks, 45 Ks, 13 HRs, 1.11 GB/FB Ratio
    San Diego- 3.17 ERA, 59.2 Ip, .247 BA Against, 26 Walks, 33 Ks, 4 HRs, .99 GB/FB Ratio

2005 Lefty/Righty splits:
    L-.244
    R-.306

Age=36
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 02-19-2006 at 08:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds talking to Pedro Astacio?

Would he be worth 1.5-2.0 million or just go with what we have?

Petco is very big and GAB is very small so absolutely not. I think his numbers would be more similar to those in Arlington if he pitched in Cincinnati. The Reds would be better off going with someone like Germano whos younger and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Petco is very big and GAB is very small so absolutely not. I think his numbers would be more similar to those in Arlington if he pitched in Cincinnati. The Reds would be better off going with someone like Germano whos younger and cheaper.

OK Thanks

I would go after him if he signed for less than 2.5 million per season as long as we only offer him a 1 year deal.I think he gives us that added starter we are going to need as the season wears on. I would let Germano start in AAA all year to see what he has to offer. Our rotation would be:

1)Harang-R
    2)Milton-L
    3)Claussen-L
    4)Wilson-R
    5)Williams-L
    6)Astacio-R

--I think we are going to see Wilson be brought along slowly(pitch counts) so we are going to need that 6th rotation starter. Plus it allows us a possible bargain chip come the trading deadline if Krivsky plays his cards right. I would try like hell to schedule Milton,Wilson,and Astacio to start as many games on the road as possible to lessen the effects of GABP, which would make their stats look better to possible trade partners.

If they are I hope they keep telling him "NO".

I see absolutely NO merit in a move like this. I actually doubt this will happen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Ortiz part 2.

Pass.
    Go Gators!

Astacio would have been a very nice aquisition 5 years ago. Not anymore.

Nothing wrong with exploring options, you never know where the next Pete Schourek or Avery or Jimmy Haynes or Paul Wilson or Cory Lidle or Todd Jones will come from. You just gotta remember to cash out on him while his values high.

Astacio scares the crap out of me. PLEASE tell me we're not going to sign him. He and Milton would compete for the HR allowed title!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Nothing wrong with exploring options, you never know where the next Pete Schourek or Avery or Jimmy Haynes or Paul Wilson or Cory Lidle or Todd Jones will come from. You just gotta remember to cash out on him while his values high.
    Let's put this nicely - about one or two of those panned out - or one and a half.

Schourek had a wonderful '95 season.
    Avery didn't fare so well.
    Jimmah had a great year (for him)
    Paul Wilson is plain mediocre.
    Cory Lidle got absolutely lit up in this town.
    Todd Jones was serviceable enough to get the new-look rocks of the franchise Andy Machado & Josh Hancock.

I don't think a one-year rental of Pedro Astacio is worth the Reds time.

However - if he does sign, and goodness knows we need more VJUMP's (Veteran Journeyman Useless Mediocre Pitchers) he better sign for a minor league deal with an invite, and hope he pitches like crap.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Astacio scares the crap out of me. PLEASE tell me we're not going to sign him. He and Milton would compete for the HR allowed title!
    AWESOME...I have been wondering who would do that now that Ortiz is gone!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Harry Caray used to call him "Pistachio," and not on purpose.
    Stick to your guns.

They would have better luck throwing $2.5 million in small bills out into the street.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?