Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Trade idea!!

Possible Trade idea!!

Since we just got one former Oakland A's player, why not keep the trend going. How about Dunn for Barry Zito,and they have a relief pitcher, I can;t remember his name. He was 1-5 last year but he had 73 strike outs in 63 innings pitched. Maybe somebody knows who I'm talking about. Oakland has always been facinated with power hitting outfielders (Jose Canseco, & Mark Maguire) Any thoughts out there on this idea?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Possible Trade idea!!

Mark McGwire was not an outfielder. I dont see this trade happening.

Quote Originally Posted by nc redsfan
    Oakland has always been facinated with power hitting outfielders (Jose Canseco, & Mark Maguire) Any thoughts out there on this idea?
    Billy Beane is a whole different beast.

The A's are set for 2006. I think they are SERIOUS World Series contenders this season. The only missing piece that I can see would be a top notch lefthanded reliever. But, I don't think they'll be making any major trades that would subtract from their major league talent. If anything, they'll be adding to it.

Dealing Hudson and Mulder was a stroke of genius by Beane. And, he hasn't even gotten much out of the Hudson deal yet.

If you want to trade Dunn to the A's, then I want Beane in return.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Why go and deal Dunn for Zito, when BZ will be a free agent at seasons end?

No!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Want a trade idea?

Reds trade OF Austin Kearns, LHP Kent Mercker and a prospect to Cleveland for LHP C.C. Sabathia.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Want a trade idea?

Reds trade OF Austin Kearns, LHP Kent Mercker and a prospect to Cleveland for LHP C.C. Sabathia.

Opinions?
    Ah, a flashback to the days when "'Ol Krusty" used to offer up trade ideas,

I like it a lot. Heck, he's already got the hat, or so I hear.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Never been impressed with Sabathia..no thanks.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Want a trade idea?

Opinions?
    From Marc Lancaster's blog, Mr. Castellini responding about moving the fences back: On the question he may have heard more than any other since taking over (which we didn't ask him today): "The question has been asked so many times, ‘Can you lengthen the ballpark at Great American Ball Park?’ You’d take a few thousand fans out and spend a fortune. You’ve just got to play the game the way it’s got to be played."

With the Great American Ball Park (GABP), being more favorable for Home Run/power hitters, the Reds need to target pitchers who limit fly balls. Pitchers who can get more ground ball results versus fly ball results will have a better chance to succeed at GABP than the reverse. I believe this is what Mr. Castellini meant by playing "the game the way it's got to be played."

With that in mind, C.C. Sabathia would be an outstanding choice to target. Sabathia had an excellent Ground Ball/Fly Ball ratio of 2.27 which ranked 19th among pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched in 2005 (source: Baseball Prospectus). His Translated 2005 peripheral numbers of Hits/9 (8.8) and HR/9 (.9) are slightly worse than the previous year of 2004 (7.6 and .8, respectively). However, his Translated K/9 (6.9) and BB/9 are an improvement over his 2004 numbers (6.0 and 3.2, respectively). Also, Sabathia is still very young at 25 years of age. His best is still to come.

Now, one thing I don't like about Sabathia is that he is too heavy. On ESPN and Baseball America, he is listed as 6'7" height and 290 lbs. I'd bet a buggy full of groceries that he is closer to 315 lbs and that is too much stress on the legs, knees, and ankles of a power pitcher. If Sabathia would make a committment to getting and staying in shape, he could be lights out.

Two other good pitchers to target based on Translated Ground Ball/Fly Ball (G/B) ratios would be Jake Westbrook (Cle) at 3.61 and Kirk Saarloos (Oak) at 3.05. Both, Westbrook (28 yrs) and Saarloos (26 yrs) are still young enough that they may show improvement in their numbers.

One last thing and then I will stop my babble. I would trade Wily Pena before Kearns. I just don't believe that Pena has enough plate discipline to increase his On Base Percentage(OBP). Kearns has more plate discipline than Pena and therefore a better OBP than Pena. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42961 If I'm the new General Manager rather than Krivsky and I'm looking to deal an outfielder for pitching with an eye towards the future, then I would rather deal the weaker OBP hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by nc redsfan
    I can;t remember his name. He was 1-5 last year but he had 73 strike outs in 63 innings pitched. Maybe somebody knows who I'm talking about.
    Are you talking about Jairo Garcia? Yeah, he's pretty good, but I would never trade Dunn for Zito, even if Zito agreed to an extension and Garcia was involved as well. I think if we really want Zito that bad, we should just wait until next offseason and sign him then. I would much rather trade Kearns and Bailey for a Sowers or a Howell than trade them for Zito.

A trade that Krusty has been mentioning that interests me is Kearns, Mercker, and a prospect (not named Homer Bailey) for CC Sabathia. Although, I would rather take out Kearns in that deal and insert Pena.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Kearns and Bailey for Sowers? I have to highly disagree with that. Just checking the latest BA Prospect Handbook, they think that Bailey is a better prospect than Sowers. The top 100 list is not out yet, but 4 writers top 50's are. Bailey's average position is 33.25 and is on all 4 top 50 lists. Sowers on the other hand is left off of 1 list, and giving him the benefit of the doubt, give him a ranking of #51 in that list, his average ranking is 46.5. Sowers is closer to the big leagues than Bailey is, but he doesnt have the stuff Bailey does....at least according to BA.

Gives Professional AtBats

I wouldnt do any trades involving Bailey right now, as I'd like to let ST go for a while and see where we are pitching-wise, and see where he is too
    Potential: Latin for "Ain't Done Nuthin' Yet"

I say we trade for C.C. and let him hit cleanup to. He seems to do well batting at GAB.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I say we trade for C.C. and let him hit cleanup to. He seems to do well batting at GAB.

I don't know about hitting, but we certainly can let him eat cleanup.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?