Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel as "utility" man

Freel as "utility" man

Everything I read says that Freel could be the second baseman but is more valuable in a "utility" role. What exactly does that mean?

Freel is by far the Reds' best leadoff hitter. He needs to play most days. The team can't put him in the lineup only when someone is hurt or needs a rest.

Freel's best defensive position is the outfield, but those slots are taken, at least for now. Second base is the only regular position for him. Rest him occasionally, let him play outfield on occasion, but don't sit him waiting for something to open up.

Let someone else be the "utility" man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freel as "utility" man

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Everything I read says that Freel could be the second baseman but is more valuable in a "utility" role. What exactly does that mean?

Freel is by far the Reds' best leadoff hitter. He needs to play most days. The team can't put him in the lineup only when someone is hurt or needs a rest.

Freel's best defensive position is the outfield, but those slots are taken, at least for now. Second base is the only regular position for him. Rest him occasionally, let him play outfield on occasion, but don't sit him waiting for something to open up.

Let someone else be the "utility" man.
    Agreed 100%
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

absolutely.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

This "he's too valuable to be a starter" crap gets on my nerves, maybe he will wear himself out, but till he does he should be at 2nd as the starter, no platoon.
    Go Gators!

Telling a ballplayer he's too valuable to be a starter is like telling a swimsuit model she looks too good to photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    Telling a ballplayer he's too valuable to be a starter is like telling a swimsuit model she looks too good to photograph.
    And that just wouldn't be right.

Freel is a butcher at 3rd, quite pedestrian at 2nd. Wait until they trade an outfielder and put him anywhere with alot of grass.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    Freel is...quite pedestrian at 2nd.
    Isn't walking a lot a good thing? :

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    Freel is a butcher at 3rd, quite pedestrian at 2nd. Wait until they trade an outfielder and put him anywhere with alot of grass.
    I agree. Freel is an offensive player who lacks the necessary fielding ability to play one position consistently. He's still very valuable to the team as a temporary backup and fill-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    I agree. Freel is an offensive player who lacks the necessary fielding ability to play one position consistently. He's still very valuable to the team as a temporary backup and fill-in.
    That might mean something except the Reds only have defensive liabilities at 2B. When the options are Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack, Ryan Freel becomes a real easy option.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

If Freel doesn't play every day, who is the lead off hitter on this team?

Also, look at Freel's numbers, particularly OBP? Don't you feel he is too good offensively to leave on the bench?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Am I completely nuts to thinik that outfield isn't necessarily Freel's best position? I admit to a limited "sample size" the last couple years due to school, but I've seen him break the wrong way on balls and take circuitous routes to others.

From what I've seen (which I'm open to debunking with hard numbers), I'd certainly rather see him at 2B than CF.

I agree he's the most logical "leadoff guy" and I'd rather see him in the lineup than the characters we have at 2B. I'd take my chances with a non-prototypical leadoff hitter, however, if it means that a healthy and rested Dunn/Pena/Kearns/Griffey has to take a seat just so that our best leadoff hitter (freel) gets to play..
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Dunn, Pena, Kearns and Griiffey can all play if Freel started @ 2b and hits lead off.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't think he gets particularly good reads anywhere. But in CF you can make up reads with great speed moreso than anywhere else on the diamond. It's the same reason why it's where Pena is most effective right now. What I don't get, is that if we're gonna have a 2B with a sub .700 OPS, why not at least make it Olmedo or Bergolla and improve our defense?

As we've already established, scoring runs isn't the issue, so keeping Freel in the lineup, while nice, isn't really necessary from an offensive perspective. But substituting Womack for him, who's not much of a defensive upgrade and a major offensive downgrade just doesn't make any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    Dunn, Pena, Kearns and Griiffey can all play if Freel started @ 2b and hits lead off.
    Whoa now..we need to get Womack and Aurilia in there too
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?