Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about passing out...

Question about passing out...

So here's a story:

Today, I'm laying in my recliner, trying to read a chapter for my Software Design class this evening. I feel sleepy, so I try to catch a nap. I slept about 30 mins off and on. I realized that I needed to use the bathroom, so I hopped up and went to handle my business. Sometime during that process, my heart started beating fast and I realized that I suddenly felt horrible. Next thing I know, I'm trying to figure out where I am. It takes me about ten seconds for my vision and senses to kick in and tell me that I'm laying with half my body in the bathtub, arm wet, head and neck hurting. I pull myself up and stumble back to the recliner.

Now, clearly, I passed out. I'm assuming that I just got up too quickly, altho I don't remember the experience of a head rush really. I don't remember anything much. For anyone with experience with this kinda thing, this is nothing to worry about, right? For the record, Its about 5.5 hours later and I still feel kinda lightheaded.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Question about passing out...

I passed out once when I had a fever. All I remember is the bathroom walls turning yellow and spinning and I couldn't feel anything. Next thing I know I am on the floor but I don't remember falling or feeling any pain.

I'm not a medical doctor, but...

1. any new meds?

2. how's your diet?

3. how's your stress level?

Statistically, most likely you have absolutely nothing to worry about. But I'd go see a doctor, just to be sure.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Normally I would say it was just reading the tech manuals but that sounds kind of scary. I'd be tempted to see a doc if I was you.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I realized that I needed to use the bathroom, so I hopped up and went to handle my business.
    Spakin' the Monkey can do that to you.

In all seriousness, see a doctor. I bet it has something to do with something you ate that day. One time when I was about 24 years old I was laying in bed and I couldn't move anything. I was conscience and I could see, but I couldn't move for what seem to me as 10 minutes. (it probably was much less) I went to the emergency room and they did all kinds of tests and they told me it was gas.

I'm not a doctor, but any time you lose consciousness, you should get checked out by a medical professional, especially if your head was hurting and you still feel light-headed. Even if you didn't have a problem with your head beforehand, you could have hit your head when you passed out and given yourself a concussion.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think the only thing that stopped me from crackin' my noggin on the shower wall was the shower curtain. I ripped the fabric loose from the rings and I suppose that it probably broke my fall.

Im going to make a doctor's appt but it'll be a few weeks since I'm away at grad school right now.

As for the other questions...no meds, my diet is generally not so good but today wasn't bad, and my stress level is about normal I think. Today my diet was probably better than normal. Cappucino and Nutrigrain for breakfast....crackers, bologna and cheese, a clementine and a fudge round for lunch with water to drink. So who knows.

And Puffy, I was tempted to tell my Prof in class tonite that his book of choice literally made me pass out today. But since he's weird, I decided against it.
    Last edited by halcyon; 02-20-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Are you sure you weren't burning one down?

Terrible joke, I know.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If you're a grad student, why not drop by the campus health center if they have one, just to be sure.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Was this before or after you done your business? Do you or anyone in your family have Kidney problems? Have you went since?
    I'd see a Physician as soon as possible, never delay these things.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

Im an EMT.

You said your heart was racing? Did it seem to flutter or cause pain when it did?

Possible problems you could have that would need medical attention:

SVT. Super ventricular tachacardia.. this is when the heart beats so fast that it isnt sufficiant in moving blood and oxygen through your body. It's a common problem and is fixed with medication. The feeling to use the bathroom coulda came from this.. was it #1 or #2?? lol

keep in mind im wining this without knowing all your symptoms or health history. more info i could prolly make a better guess but heres more.

high/low Blood pressure could also cause this.. how old are you?? do you smoke??

Malnutrition-.. maybe you hadnt ate well today? very good possibity if you hadnt that this is what cause the fainting spell.

I would say you should get checked out especially with the racing heart and if your over the age of 40... and ESPECIALLY if your overwieght.

Now if this happens again i pusued you to IMMEDIATLY see a DR..

it could have been cause by a number of things... but the racing heart and lightheadedness is what would worry me as an EMT in the medical feild.

lightheaded means your not getting the proper ammount of oxygen to your brain needed to stay concious

any other history you can provide for me would help alot and ill stay close to this thread until we come up with something... but i would advise you to see your family Dr as soon as you can.

your age please?

Edit: This could be something as simple as an infection or lack of sleep, to something as bad as a heart condition. Atleast going with what you have said so far
    Last edited by GridironGrace; 02-21-2006 at 03:24 AM.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Halcyon:

I actually agree 100% with everything that Gridiron Grace posted. Fainting--alone without any other events--could point to a litany of problems. However, you specifically mentioned that you could feel your heart racing prior the the episode. This is extremely telling.

Without boring you with a tremendous amount of clinical information, I would just like to urge you to take this incident quite seriously. Make note of many details regarding the incident (things you ate, meds your were on, etc...) and call your primary care doctor immediately.

If your primary care doctor has the ability to administer an EKG at their office allow them to do so. Afterwards, get he/she to refer you to a cardiologist (so that your insurance can't claim it an "elective visit"). Take the results of your EKG to the cardiologist--but they'll probably want to do their own anyway. The cardiologist will probably also want you to wear a Holter monitor (portable heart event monitor) for at least 48 hours. This will record any irregular heartbeat episodes that might occur. If your primary doctor doesn't think that this is serious, get a new primary doctor.

In light recent studies about various forms of cardiomyopathy, just know that the symptoms that you described (ventricular tachacardia/atrial fibrillation accompanied by fainting) are one of the strongest linked precursors to sudden cardiac death in young people.

Sorry to scare the hell out of you, but I am one month removed from open heart surgery resulting from a congenital heart defect in the cardiomyopathy family. I am very familiar with what you described in your post. Go get yourself checked out for peace of mind--if nothing else.

PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Blimpie
    Last edited by Blimpie; 02-21-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Listen to Blimpie, my buddy's open heart surgery involved a racing heart and pass out scenario 2 days before he found out that recent tests revealed he had a problem.

Halcyon, since I am old enough to be your mama I feel comfortable in saying this - get your little fanny to the Dr. Now. Do you understand me, young man!!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I had some problems with this when I was younger. I was at a basketball camp and was getting up to go to a drill and passed out cold. The next thing I remembered was seeing people looking at me from above and blood everywhere (landing face first on asphalt isn't pleasant).

At the hospital, they did all kinds of tests on me to try and figure out what caused it because I had passed out once before and they said it was probably just low blood sugar. They encouraged me to eat snacks during the day to keep going (I'm not a snacker).

Hope that helps but I would definately recommend seeing your doctor. They can help you out a lot more than any of us.

Turn Off Ads?