Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about the Kearns 3rd Base Experiment Last Year...

Question about the Kearns 3rd Base Experiment Last Year...

I was just wondering if this apparent contradiction was ever publicly addressed or explained or if it was just another dumb decision by the previous administration...

Since it was widely acknowledged that E.E. was the Reds top prospect who had an excellent chance of a late-season call-up, presumably for good, why in the heck was so much time and effort spent trying to convert AK to a 3rd baseman when our top prospect, a 3rd baseman, was less than a season away???

It seems completely illogical ... not that we saw much of anything else over the last few years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question about the Kearns 3rd Base Experiment Last Year...

I think they felt EE was atleast a Sept call-up away from the majors and they were trying to get all 4 OF'ers in the lineup. No it didn't make too much sense to block your only prospect, but it would have been a killer lineup and they could have flipped EE for a pitcher if it came down to it.

They didn't want to wait on EE, and if Kearns was a 3B his trade value would be way higher.
    Go Gators!

Most people were against the move.....I was all for it.

I was wrong.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Larson was gone, EE was unproven at the MLB level, and--if I am not mistaken--there was no Joe Randa sighting at that point of the off-season either. It could have been an authentic 3B tryout (wink, wink)--but it could have also been the first shot across the bow for Austin regarding his off-season conditioning. My thoughts at the time were that they were trying to make Austin more palatable for a trade prior to ST.

I don't know how much "time and effort" was actually expended on the experiment. From what I recall, Austin worked out for about 3-4 weeks in January at Champions in Nicholasville. Once the coaches paid him a visit, the mission was scrubbed rather quickly I thought.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 02-21-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

It was mad science.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

it was just another dumb decision by the previous administration...
    That was determined the minute it was announced.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28866

It was no worse an idea than moving Dave Parker to first to make room in the lineup for Tracy Jones.

(Who played the game, btw.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

It was no worse an idea than moving Dave Parker to first to make room in the lineup for Tracy Jones.
    Infinitely worst.

It was as an informed decision as the Bay of Pigs was.

One needs to remember that Parker proved incapable of keeping his foot on the bag.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That was determined the minute it was announced.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28866
    I said I liked it at the time..I stand by that..but it didn't work out..and we got SUPER RANDA!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I said I liked it at the time..I stand by that..but it didn't work out..and we got SUPER RANDA!

Who did resonably well and netted us Travis Chick and another player.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I was just wondering if this apparent contradiction was ever publicly addressed or explained or if it was just another dumb decision by the previous administration...

Since it was widely acknowledged that E.E. was the Reds top prospect who had an excellent chance of a late-season call-up, presumably for good, why in the heck was so much time and effort spent trying to convert AK to a 3rd baseman when our top prospect, a 3rd baseman, was less than a season away???

It seems completely illogical ... not that we saw much of anything else over the last few years...
    Morons at the controls

Turn Off Ads?