Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayer request: GAC's house has burned down

Re: Prayer request: GAC's house has burned down

Very sorry to hear about this! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hello everyone. I just want you all to know that myself and family are safe. I've had to be the emotionally strong one all day as everyone else in my family was breaking down. But after reading the responses on this forum I'm having a good cry right now, and it's making it very hard to type.

This won't be one of my usual long-winded threads because I am emotionally spent, having been up since 5 PM yesterday.

I'm a 3rd shifter, so I was at work. My wife had left for work around 5:30 this morning. It broke out around 6 AM with alot smoke that filled the house. I wasn't there, but after listening to my kids give statements later on, and how the house quickly filled with thick smoke, and my kids (teens) were there all alone, my wife broke down thinking of what could have happened. I reminded her that it didn't though, and not to dwell on that.

As the smoke wsa starting to build, my oldest boy was in our bedroom and closed the door, thinking that would stop it. Quick-witted Rachel, and Sam, ran outside and around the house to the back to survey and see what was going on. Rachel then went up to the sliding glass door on our bedroom, banged on it, and told Aaron that he needs to get out now. They went to the neighbors who called 9-11. Five minutes later the house went up in flames and the roof started to collapse. This was around 6:30 AM.

May God be praised is all I can say at this moment.

By the time I was contacted at work, and got home, there were 4 firetrucks there, and ther house was already gone. Yes, we lost everything except for the clothes on our backs (and Sam escaped wearing one of my pajama bottoms). But that is not important to me. Those things will all be replaced.

They are still there "stirring" and putting out spots as I type this.

Our insurance, which is very good, has responded very well today. I've already talked with our agent who is on the ball, and also adjusters.

Right now, due to fatique, I don't know what were are going to do at this moment. But we have family and friends surrounding us, offering plenty of help and assistance, so with the Lord's help we will be O.K.

The most important thing is that my family is safe. We will recover. Alot of it, again due to extreme fatigue, hasn't really set in for me.

RedsBaron and rfs have been invaluable through all of this today. I just can't say enough about them, or all of you. They have my brother's address and phone #. For right now, that will be my base of operations till we decide what to do. I'm looking to get a temporary PO Box, but just haven't gotten that far yet. I would have called some of you others too, but my cellphone, which is my only form of communication right now is about drained. I just now bought some chargers for them.

I'll keep in touch (or rfs and RB will for me). And again - I can't thank all of you enough. Just seeing your outpouring of support and prayers has brought me to tears (and I'm not a crier).

The link by Hap to PeakofOhio says it all (and shows pics). I guess we have also already been on TV (Dayton 7), which will rebroadcast. I don't like getting on TV this way (my sense of humor is keeping me going right now)

I love you all, and may God bless you.

Greg
    Last edited by GAC; 02-21-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That's absolutely frightening GAC. So glad your kids got out OK. Sounds like just in the nick of time, too.

We're all thinking of you and your family. Stay strong.
    School's out. What did you expect?

GAC - don't forget to tell the insurance company about your Picasso painting. That baby was worth at least a couple of million dollars!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Wow. I get home and find this news.

GAC, you and your family are in my prayers. If there's anything I can be of assistance with, please don't hesitate to ask.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks for the update, GAC. You and your family are in my thoughts. I'm not sure what else to type because I can't even imagine what you're going through. Stay strong.

Hang in there GAC, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Wow, that is so scary. You've got some bright and quick-thinking children, GAC. Thank God they were able to get out. I'll certainly be thinking of you, buddy. Hang in there.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Glad to see you are all ok GAC
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Glad to see you are all ok GAC
    Same here... Keep your chin up, buddy!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I can't even imagine what you're going through, just know we will help any way we can.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Wow - I wasn't expecting to see this kind of thread here.

Like everyone else, I'm glad the destruction was limited to material items, not to your family.

I really don't know what else to say, other than I'm glad you and your family are all right.

Stay strong GAC. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Thinking about you in this horrible time
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Never like to hear this about anyone, but it particularly hits home when it happens to one of your own.

Stay strong....you will get through this rough time soon. Even though sports are last on your list of priorities at this horrible time, take comfort in the fact that Reds season is almost upon us. The great game of baseball and the Cincinnati Reds can be a great healer over time. The games will offer you a somewhat relaxing time each night that you and your family can just enjoy being together. Sure, the games are most likely not going to be as enjoyable for you for awhile, but rest assured, they will offer some help.

Again, stay strong. You'll get through this.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?