Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Prayer request: GAC's house has burned down

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Prayer request: GAC's house has burned down

Wow. Yes, I'm thoroughly relieved to hear that there were no injuries, but you did not deserve this. This is awful, and I wish you more strength and patience than I have.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 02-22-2006 at 10:27 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

GAC, unbelievable character, man.

After what has happened to you, for you to thank the Lord given your situation is a true testament to your faith.

You are a good man. I wish you all the best.

I can't believe this! RB called me last night, after an exhausting, yet very successful day, and told me about the further responses on here.

I'm not a crier; but you all have turned me into a "man of many tears". Tears of deep appreciation. I have never been overwhelmed emotionally as I have been by the offerings and support of such great friends. I can't tell you how much my wife and I's "spirits" have been lifted over the last two days.

I want to use this thread to keep you all updated on our situation while I still have internet (brother's) for the next few days. After that, there may be a "lapse". RBA - thanks for the laptop link. That is something I need to get, plus internet, because I do so much of my financial/business over it. I may have to use the public library temporarily. It depends on how fast they find us temporary residence.

But I want to keep all of you informed as best I can because of your concern, and wanting to help.

clothing - we are doing good. My wife and I, over the last 2 days, have went out and found several sales at such places as Penney's, Sears, and others. My wife has always been good a "sniffing out a sale", and we have pretty much replaced our kid's school clothes, winter coats, etc. And the same goes for us. And we will continue to gradually, as time permits, add to their wardrobe. But right now, they are doing good.

household items - until we get temporary residence, we really have no place to put anything right now. When the household content adjuster came up Tuesday afternoon, he walked around the property with me, and then stated "there's nothing here to evaluate. It's nothing but piles of ash." They then handed us an upfront check for $5,0000. As I stated before - we have excellent home owners insurance (All-State). One really doesn't know how good it is though until you need it.

So that, coupled with our personal savings/income tax refund, has put us in a better position then most who have gone through similar tragedies. In fact, we have had such an outpouring from the community and friends, that it has caused my wife and I to somehow suffer from the guilts. Or maybe it is just pride. I have talked with rfs, RB, and family over these feelings, and all have given us solid advice (which I need and deeply appreciate right now). And I think I expressed that advice earlier - "People WANT to reach out and help when one - even one you don't know pesonally - have suffered a tragedy. And even though you may be sitting better then most are, who have gone through a similar situation, you don't know what unexpected expenses you are going to incure of the next 6-7 months. Let the people help you, you BIG DUMBASS! (that's how rfs puts it. And I always listen to my disaster relief advisor. ).

But my Mom gave us some sound advice yesterday. At the end of the "process", she recommended "As it has been given to you, abundantly and overflowingly - give back." So whether it is the Red Cross (who has been there for us), or whoever, we are going to do this. We will look to the Lord for guidance in that area.

To those of you who have made such kind and generous offers (woy, creek and anyone else who I just cannot recall at this present moment) - THANK YOU! The offer of music, and the Dunn bobblehead. Those bobbleheads I had came from you here on Redszone.

It hasn't really sunk in yet; but I am gonna miss the two WS mugs from the 75/76 Reds, and all the other Red's memoribilia.

To MWM - my daughter would take the Michigan stuff (she's a traitor!).

At some point and time, we will have those personal items replaced. I'm talking about the kid's toys, game systems, music, etc. I had to sit them down last night and have a good "heart to heart" with them, to also lessen any fears and apprehensions they may have since they lost all their "stuff." There is some memoribilia that will be gone forever, and can't be replaced. But we will do the best we can. My son Samuel (who is now 10) lost his entire Buzz Lightyear/Woody action doll collection. He had more action figures then Pixar! But his Nintendo Gamecube w/games will be replaced. As well as all of their boardgames. Rachel had an extensive music CD collection. Again, it will be replaced at some point.

My wife and I have decided that we are going to go out and allow them to buy something, so that they can have something they can again call their own. But they are good kids, and understand the process, and what is going on. The hard part is going to have to sit down, room by room, and document/list everything they/we lost.

But right now, until we get temporary dwelling established (which I hope happens in the next several days/week), their cousin's "stuff" is helping them through it. They all have similar interests.

Yesterday went very well....

Drove up to work and turned in personal leave papers, drove over to the house to met the structure adjustor, and contacted various utilities, etc., to get stuff discontinued/shut off. Living in a small/mid-sized town, they all already knew our situation, and were very supportive. We went to our kid's school, and the teachers said they were already on top of the situation, have the kid's lessons prepared, and will help to get them caught up. We have to go back up to the house today to meet the investigator, and the wife will then pick up those lessons.

My employer called, while we were getting a bite at Bob Evans, and said they rushed my request through immediately, and to "forget" about Honda for the next several days, and to tend to my family/needs. Jackie's employer gave her a 30 day leave (I'll return to work Sunday night) to help even more with the kids and various other matters.

The adjustor yesterday was also amazed. He came up to get measurements, and basically said "There is nothing to measure, as far as room dimensions, etc." So we simply measured around the outside. He also explain in further details this aspect of our policy, and did an excellent job. We are going to have more then enough money to either rebuild, or maybe go with a modular. Today I have to get estimates on site cleanup, an also from contractors.

GOOD NEWS - I was able to go inside yesterday, and went into our bedroom. The bed is still there, but it was basically buried when the roof collapsed. I asked the neighbor if I could borrow a rake and shovel, and began to dig the bed out. I shined a flashlight underneath, and there were our family videos (15 in all). I pulled them out, they were intact and dry as a bone. I played some of them last night, and they play fine. What a miracle! What I have to do know though is get them transferred onto DVD somehow. But that is one aspect of my life that was returned to us.

Yesterday, in my many drives, I kept listening to the new McCartney CD, and the song "Too Much Rain." I bet I listened to it 15 times. The lyrics really spoke to me, because the song is about the "process" from the beginning of one's struggles, and concerns hope in the face of adversity...

Laugh, when your eyes are burning
    Smile, when your heart is filled with pain

Sigh, as you brush away your sorrow
    Make a vow, that's it's not going to happen again

It's not right, in one life
    Too much rain

You, know the wheels keep turning
    Why, do the tears run down your face

We, use to hide away our feelings
    But for now, tell yourself it won't happen again

It's not right, in one life
    Too much rain

It's too much for anyone, Too hard for anyone
    Who wants a happy and peaceful life
    You've gotta learn to laugh

Smile, when your spinning round and round
    Sigh, as you think about tomorrow
    Make a vow, that your gonna be happy again

It's all right, in your life
    No more rain

It's too much for anyone, Too hard for anyone
    Who wants a happy and peaceful life
    You've gotta learn to laugh

I have some pics, but my brother's computer, for some reason, will not let me upload them on here. Can I email them top someone who can do it for me? Thanks!
    Last edited by GAC; 02-23-2006 at 06:47 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Email them to me. I have plenty of space for pics. I'll PM you my address.

GAC,

I know exactly how you feel regarding the guilt, etc. It's hard, but just think of all the times you've reached out to someone in need. I suspect you've done your fair share of giving. Now, it's your turn to receive a bit.

Here's a thought I heard from a Christian man on Katrina. I think it's a healthy attitude, and somewhat applies here.

God sent this catastrophe to us. Not in anger, though, but to create an opportunity to build something better.

A friend of mine who lost everything in the storm, and had no insurance to recover, said it's somewhat liberating to no longer have possessions. These kinds of events make you think about "ownership" in general. What does it really mean?

Great news about the family videos. And you might be able to use those to help you make your lists.

GAC,

I have been away for the last few days so I just saw this terrible news. My prayers and thoughts will be with you. Even though I haven't ever met you I have enjoyed your posts and know you are good person. It sounds like you are coping well and things are going as well as they can. I can't offer you any financial assistance but I do have some Reds baseball cards I could send you to help you build some of your memorabilia back. Hang in there and may God bless you during this period of time.

Kevin Hall AKA cumberlandreds
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Great to hear that you were able to salvage family videos!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

GAC, do you think there may be more momentos salvagable? I sure hope so as when it comes to affairs of the heart, they are the most soothing.

I'll help you rake!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Good to hear from you, GAC, and that things are coming together. The good news brought tears to my eyes.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Great to hear about those videos GAC if you really want them transferred to DVD my brother in law can do it no problem.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

GAC, so sorry to hear about your loss. I've been away from the board for a few weeks, so I just heard about all of this today.

At the same time, I'm relieved to hear that your family is OK and that you're well down the road to getting your life back to normal. You've gotten some great advice here and it sounds like you've handled everything very well so far. Life threw you this curveball and you seem to have hit it in play.

Best wishes to you and your family.

I've got the machine to dub videos to DVD's but it never seems to work right. In a pinch, I could probably do it for you but couldn't 100% promise that it would copy right.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    GAC, do you think there may be more momentos salvagable? I sure hope so as when it comes to affairs of the heart, they are the most soothing.

I'll help you rake!
    I know you would sweetheart, but I found the area where my photo albums and other memoribilia was at - dug some, and found nothing but charred ruin.

I will make a more long-winded response later on, as far as today's activities (met with an investigator who is hired to determine cause), trying to set up estimates for site clean-up and to rebuild.

We stopped in Bellefontaine and looked at a modular home. Man was it nice! We think we are leaning that way; but are just now starting to investigate that area. Right now the insurance company is trying to locate us temporary housing in our school district. My brother, who working in the realtor business and has connections up around here, also has them all, looking. But anything they find has to go thru the All-State rep, and meet certain criteria.

I'm waiting for the wife to get home so we can go get something to eat. I'm tired as all get out, and hungry.

I emailed pics to creek (sorry TC -didn't see your email in time. Right now, I have no email list on anyone), and she is gonna post some pics of the house.

Later all.

Greg
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My computer (which accompanied C Columbus on his voyage to the New World) won't post those pics either. Could someone PM their email address to me and I'll forward them on.

And GAC, my friend said to try Unibuilt in New Carlise and the one that use to be Paul Sherry in Piqua. They also went over to Tom Raper in Richmond IN
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    My computer (which accompanied C Columbus on his voyage to the New World) won't post those pics either. Could someone PM their email address to me and I'll forward them on.
    Thanks for the effort creek. I lost everyone's email addresses, or would do it myself. I would deeply appreciate it if someone from the "clique" would help me with my email list.

And GAC, my friend said to try Unibuilt in New Carlise and the one that use to be Paul Sherry in Piqua. They also went over to Tom Raper in Richmond IN
    Thanks creek, we will. We stopped and looked at a model yesterday in Bellefontaine. Man was it sharp! I drive by that model daily, and never thought it was a modular. Their rep gave us a book, along with a website, where you can basically build/design your own. That my wife will be in charge of obviously. We have received some much feedback and input locally (realtors, friends, etc.) just since yesterday morning on modular companies. It has been amazing. Though we are taking our time, getting estimates, and looking at everything, I think that is the route we are going to take. Plus, you can be in your home alot faster.

Right now - we have the insurance company intently trying to find us temp residency in the kid's school district. And we have local real estate people coming up with places also. They just have to submit it thru our insurance rep though, because there is certain criteria that has to be met. They said they are gonna have us in a place by the earliest - Monday. And the latest - Wednesday. And then they are going to completely furnish it too.

I have been nothing but simply impressed with All-State so far. Everyone of their reps, adjustors, etc., has been nothing short of professional, very personal, and "on the ball". Maybe I should do a commercial?

Nothing much planned for today, except now sit down and create documents listing each room's content. That is gonna be fun. It will be a family affair.

I'm also trying to recreate my checkbook, balances, what checks have cleared, and somehow try to get a handle on all that. I did so much online, so that will help I think. I just balanced it last Thursday, and remember the amount, and pretty much what items had not yet cleared. I'll just have to do a guessitmate for now (in the banks favor), and gradualy get it worked out.

Another fun part is doing the "forgot password" thingy with all those website. Then there is all the software I lost or purchased over the 'net.

The fun is just beginning folks; but our spirits are high.

Thanks again all!

Greg

PS creek - I found out my 6 yr old nephew is a huge Adam Dunn fan. He asked "Did Adam Dunn sign your hat?"

He came in with his photo album filled with baseball cards and told me I could have any of them I wanted. Needless to say - I cried. Both families are taking all the kids out tonight to some local pizza place. I'm gonna find him something on Dunn.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-24-2006 at 06:26 AM.

Turn Off Ads?