Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Curt Gowdy - Called 1975 World Series

Curt Gowdy - Called 1975 World Series

Curt Gowdy, the long-time NBC announcer died yesterday. Reds fans will recall him as the announcer of the 1975 World Series. While he was a superb announcer, he clearly favored the Red Sox that year, having been a Red Sox announcer before moving on to the national scene. His call of the final out of the '75 Series was rather deflated.

That said, his career spanned many significant sporting events, including the first seven Super Bowls and the famed "Heidi" game. The obit in the New York Times is interesting and full of varied sports history.

I hope this link works (you may have to register with the Times to read it):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/sp...D3YkuDWSRIPiHw

If not, go to www.nytimes.com and click on Obituaries and it will give you the link (actually they archive a number of famous people's obits, some going back to the 1800's - Frederick Douglas, 1895, etc).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Curt Gowdy - Called 1975 World Series

His resume was unbelievable and I loved his voice. Oddly enough, I remember him best from the 1970's ABC show The American Sportsman-for you youngsters that was an outdoors show where celebrities came on and did hunting, fishing, etc.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Re: Curt Gowdy - Called 1975 World Series

"....and Cincinnati wins it's first championship since 1940" Such a lame series by Gowdy...I am sure he had alot of good qualities but being impartial was not one of them.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Turn Off Ads?