Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Notes: Womack wants second to himself (2/21)

Reds Notes: Womack wants second to himself (2/21)

02/21/2006 3:36 PM ET
    Notes: Womack wants second to himself
    Looks to prove disappointing 2005 was a fluke
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- For new Reds infielder Tony Womack, Dec. 8, 2005 was probably the best day he had last year.
    That was the day Womack was dealt by the Yankees to Cincinnati for two Minor Leaguers. He opened last season as New York's starting second baseman, but he soon lost his job to rookie Robinson Cano. He was playing in the outfield after one month and was used sporadically in the second half.

Womack, a career .273 hitter, batted .307 for the National League-champion Cardinals in 2004 before signing a two-year contract with New York. He batted just .249 with 15 RBIs in 108 games while posting a .276 on-base percentage for the Yankees.

It proved to be one of the most difficult seasons of a 12-year big league career.

"I went through it because they put me through it. It wasn't like I did it to myself," Womack said. "I still like to play. It's no fun knowing that you can still play and contribute to somebody when this team is holding you back. The Yankees held me back."

Womack, who won a World Series with Arizona in 2001, said his one year in St. Louis is better proof of what he can do for the Reds, not his one year in New York.

"The only thing that makes me mad is it messes up my baseball card," said Womack, who reported to Reds camp Tuesday and completed his first workout. "I was consistent for a long time and then that comes up. It was a learning experience for me. I'm a stronger person. I had to be. I had to bite my tongue a lot. I had to keep myself going and make sure I got my work in."

Second base could be up for grabs in Cincinnati, which has no defined regular named yet. Womack, Rich Aurilia and utility player Ryan Freel are all in the mix with manager Jerry Narron planning on all getting chances this year while also moving elsewhere around the field.

But the 36-year-old Womack has ambitions on claiming the spot outright.

"That's all I care about," he said. "[Splitting time] is not what I want. That's what I'm going for. I'm going to take it. I'm going to go out there and do it. That's the only thing I know.

"My job is to make their decision easy."

Former Reds general manager Dan O'Brien traded for Womack because he liked the veteran's speed. Although his career-high 72 stolen bases in 1999 with the Diamondbacks are a distant memory, Womack stole 27 bases for the Yankees last season. However, he has a relatively low career on-base percentage -- .316.

"The intangibles never show up in the stats," Womack said. "People say I don't have a good on-base percentage. But when I get on, a lot of things happen. There are no stats for that."

All present: Womack and non-roster outfielder Quinton McCracken were the latest arrivals to Reds camp Tuesday, the reporting date for position players. The club's first workout is scheduled for late Wednesday morning.

All 61 players in camp were expected to be present and accounted for at the team dinner Tuesday night hosted by chief executive officer Bob Castellini. Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench is the featured speaker. Bench was in uniform during the morning workout for pitchers and catchers.

Golf with the Gov: Center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. was excused from the team dinner because he will be a guest of Florida Governor Jeb Bush at a Tallahassee gala celebrating Black History Month. Griffey will present an award to Hall of Famer Willie Mays.

Griffey is an infrequent golfing partner of the governor's. The two last played together in January. Did the outfielder let Bush win?

"Nah. We more or less had fun," Griffey said.

Go Lady Eagles: Narron was pleased knowing that the girls basketball team he coaches during the offseason won its first-round game in the North Carolina state high school tournament on Monday.

The Rosewood Lady Eagles of Goldsboro, N.C., are 20-4 for the season and Narron's daughter, Clare, plays for the team. How did the girls lose their four games?

"I wasn't there," said Narron, who was 16-0 when running the bench. He missed the losing games because of Reds obligations. He had Monday's play-by-play action relayed to him over his cellular phone.

"I had a parent there tell me he'd fly down here and pick me up every day and fly me back and forth if I could coach the games," Narron said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes: Womack wants second to himself (2/21)

"The intangibles never show up in the stats," Womack said. "People say I don't have a good on-base percentage. But when I get on, a lot of things happen. There are no stats for that."

I think there are some people here who might have some fun with this!!!

Whoa. Womack is making the same argument I made a few days ago. I'm not sure how I feel about that... except to say that I hope he's right. Sheesh.

If Tony truly felt that his OBP didn't matter he wouldn't have to defend himself. As Krono says you can't steal 1st base.

Can he be stopped?

Go Lady Eagles: Narron was pleased knowing that the girls basketball team he coaches during the offseason won its first-round game in the North Carolina state high school tournament on Monday.

The Rosewood Lady Eagles of Goldsboro, N.C., are 20-4 for the season and Narron's daughter, Clare, plays for the team. How did the girls lose their four games?

"I wasn't there," said Narron, who was 16-0 when running the bench. He missed the losing games because of Reds obligations. He had Monday's play-by-play action relayed to him over his cellular phone.

"I had a parent there tell me he'd fly down here and pick me up every day and fly me back and forth if I could coach the games," Narron said.
    Thats a good sign... Narron can do it all.... Smart guy
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

"I went through it because they put me through it. It wasn't like I did it to myself," Womack said. "I still like to play. It's no fun knowing that you can still play and contribute to somebody when this team is holding you back. The Yankees held me back."

Womack, who won a World Series with Arizona in 2001, said his one year in St. Louis is better proof of what he can do for the Reds, not his one year in New York.

"The only thing that makes me mad is it messes up my baseball card," said Womack, who reported to Reds camp Tuesday and completed his first workout. "I was consistent for a long time and then that comes up. It was a learning experience for me. I'm a stronger person. I had to be. I had to bite my tongue a lot. I had to keep myself going and make sure I got my work in."
    Consistency?

Code:
    Year   OBP
    2005 0.276
    2004 0.349
    2003 0.251
    2002 0.325
    Consistently bad perhaps. But quite variable in the degree of badness.

I can only hope that if he does anything short of his '04 numbers, the Reds will "hold him back" as well. When he traded, I fully expected him to eat up 600 AB's during the year no matter what he did. Now I'm feeling a bit more confident that we'll do something more intelligent. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    That's really a superfun argument there Tony. When I'm in good proximity of Brad Pitt, there's a really good chance we'll make out. The stats for Brad Pitt and me making out currently stand at 0%, but you know, intangibles aren't really reflected in that.

I've seen Tony Womack steal sixty eleven bases in my time, and I'm a big fan of stealing bases, and i still think this is the worst trade of the year. I would absolutely love for him to prove me wrong, good luck to him, but I'm not holding my breath.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Tony sounds a lot like Ritchie doesn't he?

I heard or read somewhere that Womack was a close friend and golfing partner of Thom Brennamen. I have no idea if it's true or not but if it is so .. Who do ya think Marty will bang the drum for to start at 2b?

Yeah, but when you don't get on, nothing happens. Womack's career numbers of .273 avg./.316 obp/.356 slg compared to Freel's of .276/.369/.377.

The Lookouts need a 2b. I believe Mr. Womack fits the bill there.

I love this quote. His one decent season out of nine should show everyone what he's really capable of. We should ignore the seven bad seasons from 1997-2003 and we should also ignore his horrible 2005. Thanks Tony but I'll take the mountains of evidence that prove your simply a bad ballplayer and predict another horrible season for you in 2006.

Jeez, what a bunch of crap out of Tony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think Womack's real name is Brian Fantana as in "60% of the time, it works every time."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    The Lookouts need a 2b. I believe Mr. Womack fits the bill there.
    He'd even be a downgrade from D'Lo.

Turn Off Ads?