Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BP on Eddie E

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

BP on Eddie E

From a chat with Rany Jazayerli:

Bart (NY): Rany, I know he's not a rookie anymore, but what do you expect from Edwin Encarnacion? This year and long term.

Rany Jazayerli: Love the guy, love the guy, love the guy. If players were stocks, we would have made a killing on players like Encarnacion who go under the radar because they don't have any one dominant skill, but do everything well. He hits for power (39 doubles, 24 homers last year), draws a fair number of walks, has a better than average strikeout rate, steals 15-20 bags a year, plays a key defensive position well, and has always been young for his level. He's underrated because he hit .232 for the Reds last year, but batting average in a 70-game sample means nothing - he could just as easily hit .300 this year, and has the secondary skills to become a minor star.

Talk amongst yourselves...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP on Eddie E

If given the chance EE Could Be "The Best All Around" Third Baseman The Cincinnati Reds have ever had . (IMHO)

The kids has a vg upside and its going to be stagnated by aurillia amd freel gerting playing time at third I fear. he should be in the lineup atleast 140 games a year. If not trade him to sombody who realizes that is the case.

I hope Narron feels the same way as this guy.

What if he doesn't "know how to play the game"?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can't wait to see Eddie E playing everyday this year (hopefully). If he can develop into the player everyone seems to think he can and Felipe continues his success from last year, we may just have the best YOUNG left side of the infield in baseball. Now THAT'S exciting!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I hope Narron feels the same way as this guy.
    He doesn't - he believes veterans like Rich Aurilia are more "proven" and experience outweighs potential greatness.

Now - to be fair to Jerry, those comments were made with DanO in charge. One might wonder if the stance could be changed due to WayneK taking over and having the experience of playing the youngsters in Minnesota.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    If given the chance EE Could Be "The Best All Around" Third Baseman The Cincinnati Reds have ever had . (IMHO)
    It's a good thing we don't have an ole 3B to compare him too, we won't have to hear "Well he doesn't play like (insert BRM name here)"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Now - to be fair to Jerry, those comments were made with DanO in charge. One might wonder if the stance could be changed due to WayneK taking over and having the experience of playing the youngsters in Minnesota.
    I doubt it, he's old school, that means experience over potential
    Go Gators!

If Encarnacion doesn't completely stink it up, he'll be the third baseman, and if he does, he'll spend a little more time in Louisville. The Reds are in a perfect position to have some patience with this kid, and I think they will, up to a point. If he struggles to the point of being awful and losing his confidence, he'll get some more time at AAA.

He looks to have the skills to be really good, although I wasn't "blown away" by his performance last season. I hope he can "turn it on" this season, make some big strides, and start being the player that so many think that he can be. On the other hand, there have been a lot of guys break in with a lot of credentials, that for some reason, never really put it all together. (Dan Driessen comes to mind. A good player, but never matched the expectations) I hope that Encarnacion isn't one of those guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at the "hot corner" this season. It's time to shine.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I believe EE will shine if given the chance.

If I had three wishes for the Reds...

#1 would be an above average or at least average pitching staff to help shoulder the load of a darn good offense.

#2 would be a front office and coaching staff that understands wish #1 and has the sense to build and improve the entire situation.

#3 would be for Cincinnati, Ohio to once again be

"The Baseball Capital Of The World"

Turn Off Ads?