Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America top 100 Prospects just went live....well sort of.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball America top 100 Prospects just went live....well sort of.

51-100

76. JAY BRUCE, of, Reds

"He's a five-tool player, and they're kind of rare. He's a center fielder, and the only question is if he grows out of it size-wise."
    --Reds scouting director Terry Reynolds
    ETA: 2008

Jay Bruce makes it into the top 100, Bailey is nowhere to be seen, but if the Prospect Handbook's top 50 prospects by 4 writers has any say, he will fall between 30 and 35.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America top 100 Prospects just went live....well sort of.

Sounds right about Bailey. I believe they ranked Homer at the number 11 righthanded pitcher so I would guess hes going to be around the 35 range. Nice to see they believe the ETA is 2008. I was thinking a little later.

Well with Bailey, the handbook had him listed at an average spot of 33.25, but I am not sure who all has input on the list. As for Bruce, I guess they see him coming up in September as a 21 year old...guess it all just depends on who we have around at the time, injuries, needs....nice to see that he made it up that high already.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball America
    51. BRIAN ANDERSON, of, White Sox
    "He can do just about anything he wants to do on the field. You don't find too many guys with all the tools to play any position out there in the outfield."
    --White Sox farm director David Wilder
    ETA: 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    52. JASON HIRSH, rhp, Astros
    "He really made huge strides. He really pitched inside effectively and is able to locate his fastball anywhere he wants to. He really stepped up this year and took the bull by the horns."
    --Astros farm director Ricky Bennett
    ETA: 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    53. JEREMY SOWERS, lhp, Indians
    "He just commands all his pitches well and finds a way to get it done. Sometimes you don't know how he did it, but by that time you're walking back to the dugout shaking your head."
    --Winston-Salem manager Chris Cron

54. CRAIG HANSEN, rhp, Red Sox
    "You can see the kid has all the talent in the world. He's got a major league arm and major league stuff."
    --Red Sox manager Terry Francona

55. SCOTT ELBERT, lhp, Dodgers
    "He made quick bats look like palm trees through peanut butter."
    --Greenville manager Chad Epperson

56. EDISON VOLQUEZ, rhp, Rangers
    "He's got special arm speed, special arm strength, special talent and special makeup. He's got a great temperament for the game and a very special set of skills."
    --Former Rangers farm director Dom Chiti

57. JERED WEAVER, rhp, Angels
    "He's a polished pitcher with an innate feel for putting hitters away."
    --anonymous scout

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------- ---
    58. JASON KUBEL, of, Twins
    "You never know how a player is going to rebound mentally from injuries, but with Jason there's never been any doubt of where his desire is. It's to be back on the field."
    --Twins farm director Jim Rantz

------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
    59. JOHN DANKS, lhp, Rangers
    "He's always grouped with Thomas Diamond and Edison Volquez because they've played together all year. But people need to realize that he's playing with them and he's two years younger."
    --anonymous scout

60. JEFF MATHIS, c, Angels
    "I've loved him forever. I think he's probably better defensively than offensively because of his intangibles. I love his makeup."
    --anonymous scout

61. ELVIS ANDRUS, ss, Braves
    "He has it all for his age. His whole game is very mature."
    --GCL Tigers manager Kevin Bradshaw
    ETA: 2009

62. TROY PATTON, lhp, Astros
    "I think Troy is as good of a lefthander as we have brought into this system since I've been here. His stuff is plenty good."
    --Astros senior director of player personnel Paul Ricciarini

------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
    63. JONATHAN BROXTON, rhp, Dodgers
    "He blows it by people, has deception in his delivery, a power breaking ball and a feel for it. Broxton looked like a bigger Bartolo Colon out there, with a better body."
    --anonymous scout

64. ADAM JONES, of/ss, Mariners
    "He brings so much to every game. He'll find a different way to beat you on any given day."
    --Bakersfield manager Arnie Beyeler

65. MARCUS SANDERS, ss/2b, Giants
    "He runs down the line as fast as any guy I've seen in a long time. He's one of those players who can change a game with his speed."
    --Augusta manager Roberto Kelly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
    66. KENJI JOHJIMA, c, Mariners
    "He has a very quick release and a plus arm. He's a very confident kid and he likes to run the game."
    --Chiba Lotte Marines manager Bobby Valentine

67. DUSTIN NIPPERT, rhp, Diamondbacks
    "He just kept pounding his fastball, and being a big guy, it came in at a downhill plane. This guy is a power pitcher, a big guy with a good future."
    --Jacksonville manager John Shoemaker

68. COLE HAMELS, lhp, Phillies
    "We don't want to get too excited because he hasn't pitched much the past year and a half. By the same token, we don't want to hold him back if he's ready."
    --Phillies assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle

69. YUSMEIRO PETIT, rhp, Marlins
    "When you throw 3-and-2 changeups down in the zone with late bite, it's cheating. And he's doing all that off a plus fastball."
    --Portland manager Todd Claus

70. JEFF NIEMANN, rhp, Devil Rays
    "He's so big and long, everything is just right on top of you. He has huge upside."
    --San Jose manager Lenn Sakata

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
    71. BRAD SNYDER, of, Indians
    "He just carries himself differently. You see that maturity in his approach at the plate, in the field. Just everything he does commands your attention."
    --Winston-Salem hitting coach Andy Tomberlin

72. THOMAS DIAMOND, rhp, Rangers
    "He's a big, strong Southern boy. There's little doubt in my mind, he could come in and have a Jonathan Papelbon-type break-in and help us out of the pen this year, but he's a starter."
    --Rangers general manager Jon Daniels

73. GIO GONZALEZ, lhp, Phillies
    "His curve was unreal and he throws it anytime, anywhere."
    --Savannah manager Randy Knorr

74. JAVIER HERRERA, of, Athletics
    "His best tool is everything. He can run, he has a phenomenal arm, he has power and he can hit."
    --Cedar Rapids manager Bobby Magallanes

75. MATT MOSES, 3b, Twins
    "He has some real life off of that bat. If it's a hittable pitch in the zone, he puts the barrel on the ball, and that's not something you can teach."
    --Fort Myers manager Riccardo Ingram

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
    76. JAY BRUCE, of, Reds
    "He's a five-tool player, and they're kind of rare. He's a center fielder, and the only question is if he grows out of it size-wise."
    --Reds scouting director Terry Reynolds

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
    77. DUSTIN PEDROIA, 2b/ss, Red Sox
    "Everyone scoffed at him and underestimated his ability to play at a high level, but this guy is a winner. The more I watched him beat us in just about every phase of the game, the more I began to realize how much this guy does."
    --Norwich manager Dave Machemer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
    78. KENDRY MORALES, 1b, Angels
    "He's a guy who can swing the bat pretty darn good. If the guy comes to camp and shows us he's right to be in the major leagues, we'll find a way for him to be in the major leagues."
    --Angels general manager Bill Stoneman

79. JASON HAMMEL, rhp, Devil Rays
    "He went through his ups and downs when he got here, but his stuff plays bigger than it is sometimes. And a 90-mph fastball with that hard curve is pretty big already."
    --Durham manager Bill Evers

------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
    80. JOSH JOHNSON, rhp, Marlins
    "He's a true power guy, with a fastball between 91-96. He goes at you and isn't afraid to go inside."
    --Tennessee manager Tony Perezchica

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
    81. HAYDEN PENN, rhp, Orioles
    "The fastball's his best pitch, because he can throw it at any time and to all parts of the zone with command. But he's also got an awfully good curveball."
    --Orioles farm director David Stockstill

------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
    82. BLAKE DeWITT, 3b, Dodgers
    "He lets the ball get deep, shows the ability to drive the ball the other way and has easy pull power. The bat will be there."
    --anonymous scout

83. CLIFF PENNINGTON, ss, Athletics
    "He's a gamer with tools. He's as good a shortstop as I've seen for a while."
    --anonymous scout

-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
    84. JUSTIN HUBER, 1b, Royals
    "He has worked hard on his stroke. Everyone in the organization is impressed with the way he swings the bat."
    --Royals vice president of baseball operations George Brett

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
    85. MARK PAWELEK, lhp, Cubs
    "He has rare ability. He already throws 92-95 mph, and he'll throw even harder."
    --Cubs farm director Oneri Fleita

86. ERIC DUNCAN, 3b/1b, Yankees
    "He had the kind of year you would expect a 20-year-old kid to have at Double-A. When he is going good ,he is real good at laying off the changeup and breaking ball, and he gets good cuts."
    --Trenton manager Bill Masse

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
    87. RICKY ROMERO, lhp, Blue Jays
    "In addition to all of his physical abilities, the thing we like the most is his competitive nature, his will to win, which we kind of think sets him apart."
    --Blue Jays scouting director Jon Lalonde

88. CESAR CARRILLO, rhp, Padres
    "Carillo has an electric fastball, he locates it and he's aggressive. And his curveball can be really good, too."
    --Padres scouting director Bill Gayton

89. ANDRE ETHIER, of, Dodgers
    "ou can't pitch him one way. You've got to throw everything and the kitchen sink at him to get him out."
    --Frisco manager Darryl Kennedy

------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
    90. NICK ADENHART, rhp, Angels
    "He's getting there. His fastball was an easy 90-94. He just needs to learn when to throw which pitch."
    --AZL manager Brian Harper

------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
    91. GLEN PERKINS, lhp, Twins
    "He came to the park ready to pitch. He's a lefthander with a sneaky fastball that always seems to jump up on the hitters."
    --Fort Myers manager Riccardo Ingram

92. RYAN SWEENEY, of, White Sox
    "I'm confident Sweeney will hit for power. When he does, he'll have three plus tools: hitting for average, hitting for power and arm."
    --anonymous scout

--------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
    93. ANTHONY LEREW, rhp, Braves
    "He's a power guy with a ton of potential he's just begun to tap into."
    --Richmond manager Pat Kelly

94. RONNY CEDENO, ss, Cubs
    "He never missed a beat here. He has great physical skills, very good hands and wrists, great talent and work ethic. He does so many things."
    --Iowa manager Mike Quade

95. TOM GORZELANNY, lhp, Pirates
    "He has the stuff to win games in the big leagues. He has a chance to be a good one."
    --Pirates farm director Brian Graham

96. MATT KEMP, of, Dodgers
    "He can throw, run, steal a base, hit for average, hit for power, he's a good center fielder. He's got it all."
    --Brevard County manager John Tamargo

97. CHRIS VOLSTAD, rhp, Marlins
    "I was the hitting coach for the Marlins in Double-A in 2004 and I didn't see pitchers there with the command of all three pitches like he has."
    --GCL Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez

98. CHUCK JAMES, lhp, Braves
    "I don't want to face that guy no more. It's that changeup. He threw me a 2-0 changeup and I thought I broke my bat on my back."
    --No. 1 prospect Delmon Young

----------------------------------------------------------------- ------ ---------
    99. NOLAN REIMOLD, of, Orioles
    "He's got five plus tools and he has a little bit more ability to use them than maybe we knew. He was a good first-round talent that we got in the second round. We're fortunate--really fortunate."
    --Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan

100. ANTHONY SWARZAK, rhp, Twins
    "This guy pitches like he's a big league pitcher. With the exception of John Danks last year, I haven't seen a high school kid polished like that. Nothing shakes this guy."
    --Cedar Rapids manager Bobby Magallanes
    There is the whole list

Turn Off Ads?