Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Winds?

Trade Winds?

Interesting bit from the Middletown Journal on Dunn's playing time at first (Thanks, Revering4Blue!). It also discusses Hatteberg's signing. Did anyone else notice the conspicuous role that the front office plays in this account? I've highlighted the passages that stick out for me:

SARASOTA, Fla. — For those who want to know, those curious about the signing of first baseman Scott Hatteberg, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron said nothing has changed, that Adam Dunn is the first baseman.

For now.

“If we opened today, Adam Dunn would be at first base,” said Narron.

But Opening Day is six weeks away.

“Hatteberg gives up tremendous insurance if Dunn can’t play first base or a trade is made or there are injuries,” said Narron. “Regardless, Dunn is going to play every day. We’ve seen that (160 games last season). It will take a lot to get him out of the lineup.

“I’m surprised Hatteberg wasn’t signed earlier by somebody,” Narron added. “To get a professional hitter like him, a guy who is a tough out and puts the ball in play and doesn’t give up at-bats, is a big plus.”

Hatteberg showed up in camp Friday and said, “How did I get here? Good question. I think Wayne Krivsky getting the general manager’s job got me here. I jumped at it.

“My agent said there wasn’t much demand, teams were well-stocked at first base,” he added. “I was the odd man out. I don’t want to be just a jersey hanging in the dugout. I don’t know how defined my role is, but Dunn is an unbelievable player and I guess I’ll spell him. . .unless they make a trade.

Now, is it just me, or are there several themes running throughout this report? It almost sounds like...

1) Hatteberg, Hatteberg's agent Narron AND Krivsky have been in conversations
    2) During those conversations, there was discussion of Hatteberg's role with the team pending various MOVES that Krivsky was contemplating in the near future

and most importantly...

3) That all four parties expect a TRADE to occur in the next six weeks that will affect Hatteberg, Dunn, their positions, and their playing time.

Am I crazy or is this implied very strongly here? I think it's going to happen... and I think it's going to be soon. It's like everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Winds?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a "major trade" made in the near future.

kearns or pena also could be traded moving dunn back to the outfield. the fact dunn now has signed a 2 year contract makes him easier to trade. IMO i don't see anyone being moved. no one is going to knock us out with a #1 or #2 starter for dunn.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Interesting bit from the Middletown Journal on Dunn's playing time at first (Thanks, Revering4Blue!). It also discusses Hatteberg's signing. Did anyone else notice the conspicuous role that the front office plays in this account? I've highlighted the passages that stick out for me:

SARASOTA, Fla. — For those who want to know, those curious about the signing of first baseman Scott Hatteberg, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron said nothing has changed, that Adam Dunn is the first baseman.

For now.

“If we opened today, Adam Dunn would be at first base,” said Narron.

But Opening Day is six weeks away.

“Hatteberg gives up tremendous insurance if Dunn can’t play first base or a trade is made or there are injuries,” said Narron. “Regardless, Dunn is going to play every day. We’ve seen that (160 games last season). It will take a lot to get him out of the lineup.

“I’m surprised Hatteberg wasn’t signed earlier by somebody,” Narron added. “To get a professional hitter like him, a guy who is a tough out and puts the ball in play and doesn’t give up at-bats, is a big plus.”

Hatteberg showed up in camp Friday and said, “How did I get here? Good question. I think Wayne Krivsky getting the general manager’s job got me here. I jumped at it.

“My agent said there wasn’t much demand, teams were well-stocked at first base,” he added. “I was the odd man out. I don’t want to be just a jersey hanging in the dugout. I don’t know how defined my role is, but Dunn is an unbelievable player and I guess I’ll spell him. . .unless they make a trade.

Now, is it just me, or are there several themes running throughout this report? It almost sounds like...

1) Hatteberg, Hatteberg's agent Narron AND Krivsky have been in conversations
    2) During those conversations, there was discussion of Hatteberg's role with the team pending various MOVES that Krivsky was contemplating in the near future

and most importantly...

3) That all four parties expect a TRADE to occur in the next six weeks that will affect Hatteberg, Dunn, their positions, and their playing time.

Am I crazy or is this implied very strongly here? I think it's going to happen... and I think it's going to be soon. It's like everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    It could also mean a deal involving Kearns, Denorfia, Womack, Pena, Griffey, or multiple people and Dunn end up back in the OF and then Hatteburg at 1b. I would rather him be coming off the bench personally but i dunno.

I didn't intend to argue that the trade had to involve Dunn... just that people on every level of Hatteberg's signing are publicly acknowledging its possible relationship to some sort of trade. I agree, Pena or Kearns could also go. In any case, it is clear that Kriv wanted to cover his butt in case any opportunity arose in the next few weeks to acquire more pitching. Smart guy.

Didn't we already have this conversation?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a "major trade" made in the near future.
    This was my thought immediately, even before Narron's comments were printed. My son made the exact same comment too. Whether one will be made, of course, is another story. And it would have to be for at least a #2 pitcher. Which player it would be, I wouldn't know, but I would guess either Kearns or Pena and my preference would be Pena - I think long-term, Kearns is going to be the better, multi-dimensional player of that young group.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Didn't we already have this conversation?
    Its Deja-Vu all over again, TB.

As long as Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, and Willy Mo Pena is the outfield & the starting-pitching is status quo, there will always be rumours & speculation.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I realize there has been speculation running rampant, even in my own posts on the matter. However, this is the first time I've seen the word 'trade' mentioned so many times coming out the mouths of a player, an agent, the manager, and the GM. I think that's somewhat different than speculation on a fan board. Deja vu, yes, but this time it is 'vu' with more concrete evidence! Or maybe I missed another post sometime back (I just joined).

If we trade an OF my first choice would be Deno or Freel is on the OF before we pit Hatteberg at 1st
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    If we trade an OF my first choice would be Deno or Freel is on the OF before we pit Hatteberg at 1st
    Huh?
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

Perhaps it has something to do with the rumored deal involving AK on the ORG board! Or perhaps it's just what it is.....talk. I realize we all like to speculate especially when nothing much is going on, but I think we may be overreacting to these particular words.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRedinCT
    Huh?
    He is saying if Kearns or Pena is traded, he rather Freel or Deno play in their place. Instead of having Dunn move back to the outfield to take their place and then start Hatteberg.

Yes..thanks rounding 3rd
    Go Gators!

Fay quoting Kriv in the Enquirer:

On having 62 players in camp: "It's certainly workable. But being named general manager a week before spring training starts ... you try to add a few more people who think are viable major-league players as role players. In Hatteberg's case, it could be more than a role player.

I realize that this is still speculation, but speculation coming from the GM is different than speculation on a fan board. Kriv actually has the power to DO something!

It won't surprise me if the Reds sign Astacio AND trade an outfielder before the season. Sounds like that's what Kriv's office is working on these days, and he's all but said that's exactly WHY he signed Hatteberg: as MORE than a role player.

At least it's better than what DanO would say, which would be something like this: "We are considering possible speculation on a variety of unlikely moves that could take place in some time-frame yet to be determined. Is that speculation likely to happen? Yes, I would say it's likely."
    Last edited by RedEye; 02-20-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Mistake

Turn Off Ads?