Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hancock signed by Cardinals

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Josh Hancock signed by Cardinals

You know what this means. All-Star, baby.

Or it could mean very bad things for Josh, given that he's now sharing a camp with Sidney Ponson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hancock signed by Cardinals

Maybe he can share some Sidney Ponsons Slimfast?

Does anybody know what Hancock's current weights is? I'm guessing it's less than Kearns.

Manager Jerry Narron said Hancock, whose weight is listed at 207 pounds, reported 17 pounds too heavy.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s-hancock.html
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

got alil captain in u?

hes' not that good but the cards i'll make him servicable somehow

Man Pills

Personally I think it's insulting and hypocritical to spout off to the media that you're cutting someone not based on performance or non-performance, but just on being fat. If that's Jerry Narron's idea of "old school," give me "dumb school."

How can people not see a move like this by the Reds as just another in a long line of bush league personnel handlings on a par with the Oester bait and switch, MassageChair-gate, ad nauseam?

I don't think Josh is a particularly talented pitcher, but I wouldn't mind seeing him plunk Narron with a "stray" throw this season. I wish the guy luck in St. Louis, and hope that if and when he is cut, it's with a little more dignity, which I'm sure it will be.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Actually, put me down for a similar sentiment. I hope Hancock earns some Show-related cash money, as long as he gets bombed every time the Reds are in the other dugout.

207 pounds when you're 6'3" isn't bad. Aren't Dunn and Kearns much heaveier than that?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Personally I think it's insulting and hypocritical to spout off to the media that you're cutting someone not based on performance or non-performance, but just on being fat. If that's Jerry Narron's idea of "old school," give me "dumb school."

How can people not see a move like this by the Reds as just another in a long line of bush league personnel handlings on a par with the Oester bait and switch, MassageChair-gate, ad nauseam?

I don't think Josh is a particularly talented pitcher, but I wouldn't mind seeing him plunk Narron with a "stray" throw this season. I wish the guy luck in St. Louis, and hope that if and when he is cut, it's with a little more dignity, which I'm sure it will be.
    The difference here is that a standard was clearly communicated and the standard was upheld. Sometimes you have to make an example of someone. All the blame goes to Hancock, who seems to have taken his position for granted (really dumb for fodder like himself, I might add). I'm not sure what is dignified about that on his end, either.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Actually, put me down for a similar sentiment. I hope Hancock earns some Show-related cash money, as long as he gets bombed every time the Reds are in the other dugout.
    One thing I can take solace in is that when the Reds are 20 games out in June, old Jerr's going to probably get his final MLB managerial pink slip. So he can sit around and get fat all he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Does anybody know what Hancock's current weights is? I'm guessing it's less than Kearns.
    You seem to be obsessing over Kearns. You take a dig on him any chance you get lately.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I mentioned both him and Dunn...check out my next post I mentioned Kearns since he and Hancock are the same height.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You seem to be obsessing over Kearns. You take a dig on him any chance you get lately.
    It's not as though she doesn't have a point. And while we're on the subject of dumping awful performers, why not Womack, Milton, Aurilia, Kearns....

It's an empty example, tr. It only applies to fringey players. Any of these other embarrassments for players get to wallow around in their stink because the Reds think it's smart to pay some of these guys over $1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It's not as though she doesn't have a point. And while we're on the subject of dumping awful performers, why not Womack, Milton, Aurilia, Kearns....

It's an empty example, tr. It only applies to fringey players. Any of these other embarrassments for players get to wallow around in their stink because the Reds think it's smart to pay some of these guys over $1 million.
    It seems to apply to guys who showed up significantly overweight. I'm not sure why Kearns applies here, since he was sent back to the minors for being out of shape last year himself. To a player with the ability of Kearns, that is akin to cutting some scrub like Hancock. And face it, when you're a scrub hoping to land a back of the bullpen job, it was ignorant to show up overweight. You have Hancock, with his injury problems showing a total lack of committment. To turn this into "what about poor performers" is nothing more than a bait and switch on the true issue. Guys like Womack and Aurilia, whom are agreeable shadows of their former selves, have been valuable performers over their respective careers, and I don't think they showed up with love handles.

BTW, I heard this same stuff when Marvin started cracking the whip with some Bengals chaff when he took over from folks who had been complaining about how bad the Bengals were, then complained when they started to show some backbone.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-22-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Would you rather me compare him to Rick White? He probably showed up to camp with love handles.

Turn Off Ads?