Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey, 38th best prospect in Baseball, according to BA

Homer Bailey, 38th best prospect in Baseball, according to BA

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey, 38th best prospect in Baseball, according to BA

Bruce checked in at #76 - the only other Red

Jay Bruce also listed on the second page.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...22top100b.html

Yes, I made a post about Bruce yesterday. Bailey landed slightly lower than I had expected(30-35), but still pretty high up for only having pitched 1 year. Justin Upton checking in at #2 overall was also a bit of a suprise. I didnt expect him in the top 5 without having played a game yet.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

On the minus side -- sorry if this was posted earlier -- Baseball Prospectus' Top 50 had nary a Red, even in the honorable mention.
    Not all who wander are lost

Justin Upton, no games played. #2 prospect.
    Travis Wood dominates 2 levels. Not listed.

Pretty much all I need to know.
    Suck it up cupcake.

The BP list is probably intentionally controversial, although I don't think they fully expected the sheer volume of angry responses they were going to get from Red Sox fans by leaving Jon Lester off their list. There's nothing more telling about how they approached this than their ranking of Dustin Pedroia at #11, which is so ludicrous that it's almost as if they're mocking him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt

Not to shabby.
    number five guy was available with the same pick

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    The BP list is probably intentionally controversial, although I don't think they fully expected the sheer volume of angry responses they were going to get from Red Sox fans by leaving Jon Lester off their list. There's nothing more telling about how they approached this than their ranking of Dustin Pedroia at #11, which is so ludicrous that it's almost as if they're mocking him.
    The BP list cares about how a guy actually plays, particularly in the high minors. I'm sure BP would love to stack its rankings from previous years against BA's and see who's done a better job of prognosticating talent.

Mind you, BA's not really prognosticating. It's assigning market value. It's establishing the relative worth of various prospects. If a guy has a high value, but you think he's unlikely to pan out all that well, then there's a fellow who needs a good trading.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    number five guy was available with the same pick
    I dont understand your point? He came from college, is at a higher level, and is a bit older than Bailey. In all fairness, he should be ranked a little higher.

TRF, I am willing to bet Travis Wood fell between 105 and 125 on the list. As for Justin Upton being #2, I didnt think he would be that high, but I did expect him to be in the top 10. The hype, which everything I have read says its not hype, is huge for him. He is apparently that once ever 5-10 year talent that comes along (Griffey, Arod, Delmon Young type). So to have him ranked so high, is not as much of a shocker.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The BP list cares about how a guy actually plays, particularly in the high minors. I'm sure BP would love to stack its rankings from previous years against BA's and see who's done a better job of prognosticating talent.

Mind you, BA's not really prognosticating. It's assigning market value. It's establishing the relative worth of various prospects. If a guy has a high value, but you think he's unlikely to pan out all that well, then there's a fellow who needs a good trading.
    With Bailey, it would seem genuine to tell a potential purchasing GM "we love him and think he will be a major league starter one day, but that is further down the road and we need guys in the rotation yesterday. While it pains us to part with him..."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Don't we have a history with Markakis?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Yes, we drafted him out of HS, but couldnt sign him.

It strikes me as a little odd that while every other prospect on the list has a scouting report given by a scout, manager, or coach of some sort the scouting report on Bailey is given by an outfielder that played on his team

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Yes, we drafted him out of HS, but couldnt sign him.
    Thanks, the Baseball Cube doesn't show that on his profile, too bad we didn't throw a hefty bonus at him in hindsight, which I'm sure was foresight for some on this board.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?