Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rangers, Durazo ink Minor League deal

Rangers, Durazo ink Minor League deal

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2005&fext=.jsp

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Rangers announced Tuesday that they have signed first baseman Erubiel Durazo to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Spring Training.

Durazo underwent Tommy John surgery on his left elbow last July 22 after hitting .237 with four home runs and 16 RBIs for the Athletics. In 2004, he hit .321 with 22 home runs and 88 RBIs.

"I was looking for a chance to play and I feel like I have it here," Durazo said. "I'm 100 percent. I have been swinging the bat since December."

In seven Major League seasons, he has a .285 career batting average with 90 home runs and 314 RBIs in 583 games.

The Rangers' interest in Durazo is mostly as a designated hitter. Phil Nevin is expected to be the Rangers designated hitter with David Dellucci as another possibility, but general manager Jon Daniels wanted depth at the position.

"Erubiel is a guy who has had a lot of success in our division and in our park," Daniels said. "He knows the league and has worked hard to come back from surgery. We want to give him the opportunity to come in here and compete for a job."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rangers, Durazo ink Minor League deal

Man, I like Durazo...I wish the Reds had signed him to a similar deal. Would have been great insurance in case of an injury(God forbid).

I would have loved to have him over Hatteburg, especially given the $$ difference. I would bet he has a nice year and gets 450 ABs for Texas as a DH, putting up nice numbers.

Don't be fooled by the fact that he is listed as a 1b, I don't think he is even a passable defensive player. His only viable position is DH. As much as I like Durazo as a hitter, I can understand why the Reds signed Hatteburg instead.

Turn Off Ads?