Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Know You're From Cincinnati When...

You Know You're From Cincinnati When...

Your idea of a three-way is chilli over spaghetti topped with cheddar

You know what goetta is - and you've eaten it

You hate Cleveland, but you don't know why, and you've never been there

You think Pete Rose and Marge Schott were railroaded

You say "Please?" instead of "Excuse me?"

You think Northern Kentucky is part of Ohio

You've been to California, Wyoming, Coney Island, and Over-the-Rhine in one day

There are less than 100 murders a year, and you still think you're in Detroit

You think Dayton is a Third World country

What groundhog? It's the St. Patrick's Day parade leprechaun that forecasts how much longer winter will last.

Indiana is about 20 miles away, but it takes about four hours to get there.

It's too cold in the winter, and too hot and humid in the summer, to ever stay outside for very long.

You drive to Columbus or Louisville to avoid the prices at the Cincinnati airport.

City council members hold debates on whether or not they should debate in the first place.

Tourists still flock downtown to catch a glimpse of cast members from "WKRP," even though the show hasn't aired on network television since 1984, and the show was filmed in LA anyway.

You ask lifetime residents where the President Taft house is, but they don't know either.

If you do something -- anything -- in public long enough, sooner or later it will be banned.

Your low-fat diet is never low enough to exclude Graeter's ice cream.

You get through winter listening to Marty and Joe's broadcasts from the grapefruit leagues.

Big Red Smokies are a ballpark treat, not cause to dial 9-1-1.

If necessary, the city could easily be sliced into two new cities: East and West, and it would take 20 years for anyone to notice something happened.

Chocolate and cinnamon, not peppers and beans, are in your chili.

You can drive 30 minutes in any direction to hear a different accent than your own.

You can accurately judge people's social status by which Kroger's store they frequent.

You can go to any church festival in any neighborhood on any weekend and see at least five people you either work with, went to school with, or dated.

Even the slightest mention of former baseball commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti makes your blood boil and your ears steam.

If the temperature hits 45 degrees, and the sun comes out in any month between November and April, people walk around downtown wearing shades and no jackets.

The top stories on the local 6 o'clock evening news look suspiciously like the articles you read in the newspaper that very morning -- and even use the same quotes.

Any carbonated beverage is a "coke."

Your favorite convenient store sounds like a labor union.

You can't hear the words "Mike Brown" without getting angry.

You honestly believe that Pete Rose should be in the Baseball Hall Fame.

You have more stadiums, coliseums, and arenas than you know what to do with.

It doesn't seem weird to you that everyone has an Uncle Al.

Your favorite Coney Island isn't in New York.

You like Nick Clooney better than George Clooney.

You know how Jerry Springer got his start.

You know what a pony keg is.

You have friends and neighbors with names like Machenheimer, Guckenberger, Schlottman, Schoenling, and Schweitering.

You know that cars (like eggs) are cheaper in the country.

An all-boys or all-girls school doesn't seem that odd to you

You think a mixed marriage is when an East Sider marries a West Sider.

You know the difference between Hudy and "Who Dey."

You know what cream ale is, and you think that cream soda should be bright red.

You think Kentucky is only slightly more civilized than Afghanistan.

You know in which state the Greater Cincinnati Airport is located.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You Know You're From Cincinnati When...

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Any carbonated beverage is a "coke."
    Is this true? I thought this was a southern thing. My impression has always been that any carbonated beverage in Cincinnati was pop.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Is this true? I thought this was a southern thing. My impression has always been that any carbonated beverage in Cincinnati was pop.
    You're right vat, it's not that way in Cincinnati. It's all pop. The coke thing is exclusively southern.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

If necessary, the city could easily be sliced into two new cities: East and West, and it would take 20 years for anyone to notice something happened.
    That place on the otherside of I-75 is the Land of the Lost as far as I am concerned, drop me off there and I'm as helpless as Will, Holly and Dad... all without a Chaka to help me along Spring Grove Avenue.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    You're right vat, it's not that way in Cincinnati. It's all pop. The coke thing is exclusively southern.
    Seems like it used to be that way a bit more years ago. I'm not saying everyone did it but I can remember all soft drinks being referred to as Coke when I was a kid by people. Although I grew up in NKY.

Zoinks!

I also remember all the old timers, when I was a kid, pronouncing Cincinnati as Cincinnata.

I was told that people here did that, but it took 25 years before I heard anyone pronounce it that way. The offender was Uncle Carl on the occasion of the Griffey press conference.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5
    I also remember all the old timers, when I was a kid, pronouncing Cincinnati as Cincinnata.
    Sparky Anderson pronounces it like that all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Tourists still flock downtown to catch a glimpse of cast members from "WKRP," even though the show hasn't aired on network television since 1984, and the show was filmed in LA anyway.
    For some reason I still feel immense hometown pride whenever the theme song for that show starts playing.

I was 7 when that show went off the air but in college it came on after Melrose Place on E late at night and I would watch as much as possible

Most recent offenders include Sparky, Seg and my Mom...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Actually, I always thought that was a OH/KY split on that. My paternal grandfather, who grew up in Mt. Washington, always said "Cincinnati." Of course his parents were "off-the-boat" Donauschwaben and said "Zinzinnati", so that might be a factor as well. My maternal grandfather, from Western KY, stills says "Cincinnata".
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    It's been "pop" for me and my family (except my Dad who sez "dope").
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

There are less than 100 murders a year, and you still think you're in Detroit
    Unfortunately, this one has changed... big time!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You think Northern Kentucky is part of Ohio
    It IS a part of Ohio. When you reach Florence coming from the south, you have entered Ohio.

We are NOT part of Ohio :
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?