Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh this is funny. Bowden offered Soriano to the Reds for...

Oh this is funny. Bowden offered Soriano to the Reds for...

ADAM DUNN...NOT ONCE BUT 3 different times. Man this guy must have really thought DanO was an idiot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...=gammons_peter

Soriano ready to put Nats on spotposted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006

VIERA, Fla. -- It is always appropriate to visit the Nationals on George Washington's birthday. Of course, the team still has no owner. It might not have a name, either, although MLB might do what most of the prospective ownership groups intend to do -- change the name and sell a whole new line of licensed products.
    Oh yes, they also have two second basemen, at least in Alfonso Soriano's mind. So when Soriano and Jose Vidro report for their first workout Thursday, everyone is waiting for the conversation between manager Frank Robinson and Soriano. Jose Rijo, a special assistant to general manager Jim Bowden, talked to Soriano Tuesday night when he got to his hotel in Cocoa Beach, and delivered the message to the indefatigable general manager: "Not good," Rijo said. "Prepare for Plan B."

With Cristian Guzman in camp early and so slimmed and conditioned that he looks 20 years old again and word among the players that Vidro is in the best shape of his career, the Soriano question could be a mess. However, Bowden figures that Soriano has no choice.

He will make $10 million this year. Is he going to go home?

He is a free agent at the end of the season. Is he going to sit on the bench and DH in American League ballparks?

Bowden doesn't think so. "When," asks Bowden, "did players begin dictating to clubs what position they're going to play?" Or dictate to Hall of Fame managers?

Now, Bowden has always been willing to take gambles; he took a shot at Sammy Sosa and stepped it up this week, offering to double his original offer to $1 million, but after Sosa first agreed to the deal with Rijo, he changed his mind.

As Soriano drew the line between second base and left field, Bowden realized he could have a problem. He's talked to teams about trades, and offered three different Cincinnati GMs Soriano for Adam Dunn. But the market might be small for Soriano, because of his salary and because many teams consider him strictly a DH.

His Texas coaches insist Soriano is the worst defensive second baseman in the game. They also don't think he'll be a good left fielder.

"He can't catch popups, why should he be able to go back on fly balls?" asks one Rangers coach. Another Rangers official is concerned that his lack of concentration will get worse in left field with nothing going on. Then there's the 1.011/.639 (with .265 OBP) home/road OPS split as he goes from a great hitters' park to one of the toughest.

Bowden might be right, and Soriano will realize that he has no choice but to play where he's told to play. The Nationals/Grays/Dubyas/whatevers need him to hit home runs. Then again, they might have to trade him and try to get pitching, even if they sign Pedro Astacio and as encouraged as they are with Tony Armas, who is throwing very well after having a strong winter in Venezuela following an operation to loosen the capsule in his right shoulder.

No owner. No name. No Soriano. That would be a problem.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oh this is funny. Bowden offered Soriano to the Reds for...

I am sure that DanO probably considered it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Dan O did something right after all
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

O'Brien's was trying to figure out how to sweeten the pot when he was canned. "Surely he can't only want Dunn. I'm gonna have to add a prospect to sweeten the pot. Hee, hee, gonna snooker ole leather pants on this one just like I did Dumbrowski on the Casey deal."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

It's usually best to realize you don't want someone on your team before you trade for them. Oops. Whoda thunkit.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

That "three different Cincinnati GMs" crack was pretty funny. Yeah, he could have pitched that deal to O'Brien, Kullman and Krivsky in pretty short order there.
    Not all who wander are lost

This pre-supposes that DanO was capable of saying no to the prospect of acquiring a second baseman, which I think we can all agree is laughable.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I am sure that DanO probably considered it.
    The sad thing is, I'd probably say that this deal was nixed by someone higher up than O'Brien when it was offered.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    This pre-supposes that DanO was capable of saying no to the prospect of acquiring a second baseman, which I think we can all agree is laughable.

Yeah, but Soriano is too good for DanO.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

What if Allen nixed it?

Is he a hero?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What if Allen nixed it?

Is he a hero?

John Allen would have to personally save my life before I would consider him a hero. I do not care for him.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Cruisin' for trouble

Allen wouldn't have nixed it, considering that Soriano is set to make more $$$ this year than Dunn.

Now, if the deal was Soriano and 3M for Dunn...

*Bowden in a serious voice*

"Ok then, how about Dunn and Lopez for Soriano and Cristian Guzman?"
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Pena for Soriano, with the Nats picking up half his salary.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Pena for Soriano, with the Nats picking up half his salary.
    Can he pitch? I'd rather have Freel at 2nd.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?